• ...and so much more!
  • Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    Exactly what I do too... filled the oiler that came with the gun with windshield washer fluid. I do the same with my Yugo Mauser and Polish TT 33 pistol too (also corrosive ammo). Only takes a minute and makes the regular cleaning at home a lot easier too. :yesway:

Nothing against your choice to use washer fluid or Windex, just a thought: It's not the ammonia or any other additive in there that cleans the corrosives out; it's water. You can fill the oiler with water and get the same result. :twocents:

Thanks for posting a review and a reply, though! :)

Blessings,
    Bill

Colinb913

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 15, 2012
    Newburgh
    Just went and put a down payment on a Mosin, waiting for my check to clear the bank tomorrow, and I will be going to finish the payment and actually get the gun tomorrow. Damn vacation nearly drained me..

I called ahead, and when I walked into the store, there was a couple looking at the only Mosin they had left, and I said to the employee, I just called about a Mosin, and he told the couple since I called I had first priority, even after I told him I couldn't fully pay for it today. Stand up service!! Any ways, can't wait to go get mine and hit the range on Wednesday!

/thread jack

darend505

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Dec 10, 2011
    Muncie, IN
    I enjoyed buying my Mosin so much, I'm having a hard time keeping myself from buying another! Can ya blame me? :dunno:

When I first got heavy into buying guns at the end of last year, I bought a .22 for my Dad to go with the one he had when he was my age. I think I get a Mosin I should get him one too!

Augustine

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 27, 2012
    South Bend
    Just went and put a down payment on a Mosin, waiting for my check to clear the bank tomorrow, and I will be going to finish the payment and actually get the gun tomorrow. Damn vacation nearly drained me..

I called ahead, and when I walked into the store, there was a couple looking at the only Mosin they had left, and I said to the employee, I just called about a Mosin, and he told the couple since I called I had first priority, even after I told him I couldn't fully pay for it today. Stand up service!! Any ways, can't wait to go get mine and hit the range on Wednesday!

/thread jack

Congrats. What year is yours?

Cowboy 44

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 30, 2011
    i have several....i paid $49 5 or 6 years ago.....i like shooting my yugo 8mm mauser a lot better. but there at least twice the money

Spazzmodicus

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Feb 5, 2011
    Jeffersonville, IN
    Nothing against your choice to use washer fluid or Windex, just a thought: It's not the ammonia or any other additive in there that cleans the corrosives out; it's water. You can fill the oiler with water and get the same result. :twocents:

Blessings,
    Bill

Yeah I've heard that too. But how many times have you been fed incorrect info? Not at all disputing your input, it's appreciated. I just decided to play it safe. Ammonia won't hurt the bore as far as I know and the windex will give it a fresh scent. (heh heh....just kidding on the scent).

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    Yeah I've heard that too. But how many times have you been fed incorrect info? Not at all disputing your input, it's appreciated. I just decided to play it safe. Ammonia won't hurt the bore as far as I know and the windex will give it a fresh scent. (heh heh....just kidding on the scent).

Please make sure you sniff from the chamber end only. ;)

Blessings,
    Bill

duffman0286

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 3, 2011
    Wayne Co
    man i only got one ammo pouch with mine no fair.... but welcome to the mosin club you will quickly learn they multiply 1 will turn into 2 and then its 4 then some get shorter and others grow side mounding bayonets or PU scopes. and before you know it cosomine becomes your favorite smell. And when all that happens you know your on the right track!

Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Oct 3, 2008
    On a hill in Perry C
    I enjoyed buying my Mosin so much, I'm having a hard time keeping myself from buying another! Can ya blame me? :dunno:

So, why are you resisting the urge? You're only delaying the onset of full blown Mosinitis.:D

Blessings,
    Bill

Yep, add a little soap to it and it'll get the crud out even better.

Scientific fact. Potassium chloride, the salt left by corrosive primers, is app. 50 times more soluble in water than ammonia. The British prescribed 2 quarts of boiling water down their barrelsafter firing. Most other cleaners used for corrosive primers are water based with additives for metal fouling and/or protecting the bore. Also, ammonia itself is very slightly corrosive to steel. There isn't enough ammonia in window cleaner to amount to anything, about 2% by volume IIRC.

Augustine

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 27, 2012
    South Bend
    I finally got around to cleaning my new Mosin last night. After having a little trouble with the barrel bands, I finally broke the gun down. I set up a little two pan system to clean out the cosmoline. I filled the larger pan with mineral spirits and the smaller one on the ground with water.

15ofrzp.jpg

I let the parts soak and for the most part that took care of the cosmoline, however I had a little toothbrush on hand to scrub the parts to make sure I really got it all out. Because the barrel is much longer than the pan, what I did was stand the business end of the barrel on the bottom of the pan, submerged under the mineral spirits. I then took a bottle and scooped out the mineral spirits and poured that down the barrel and just let it sit. After about 5 minutes, I titled the barrel to let the mineral spirits out and a really disgusting amount of cosmoline came out. I did this a couple more times for a minute a piece and then I just started pouring cosmoline straight through until it look pretty clean. I then cleaned out the barrel and oiled it.

mhvdps.jpg

To get some of the cosmoline out of the stock, I used the bigger pan. I boiled water and then poured the water into the bigger pan, letting the steam sweat out the cosmoline. This works well in that it seems to really draw out the cosmoline. It, however, takes somewhere near eternity to do the whole gun and I just didn't care to continue to boil water, steam a 4 inch section of the gun, wipe, repeat. Since today is supposed to be a little warmer (around 62), I wrapped up the stock in paper towels, then put it into a black plastic bag and into the back of my car. I figure the heat will draw out a lot of the cosmoline and this will hopefully make life a bit easier.

monitor51

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 4, 2012
    West Central IN
    Congratulations on your purchase. When I got mine a couple months ago I had fun looking up where it was made and reading about my purchase. I think I got lucky in the cosmoline department as mine wasn't that bad off.

I'm guessing your experience with getting "help" might be typical. Sounds kind of like mine. There were 7 available for me to look at. The FFL I purchased it from told me to have it with the looking. I'm guessing if you were a collector you'd spend more time looking things over than I did. There were no hex available for me to pick from, so I picked one with what I thought had the combination of the best bore, rifling, bolt action and then looks.

Now get a spam can of ammo and go play. Unfortunatly I've had mine for 2 months and it hasn't even been fired yet.

blamecharles

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 9, 2011
    South side of Indian
    I figure the heat will draw out a lot of the cosmoline and this will hopefully make life a bit easier.

When you go shoot it you will find more. I think a cosmoline fairy comes at night and puts more into it. Mine last weekend had cosmoline boiling out of the hand guards, even though it was thoroughly cleaned. It made my GF's dad laugh seeing it boil out.

pinshooter45

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 1, 2009
    Indianapolis
    You really don't have to get that fancy getting out the Cosmoline. I used hot water and Dawn Dish soap and the cosmoline was just a memory. Did not have to do anything to the stock it wasn't soaked in the stuff.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I've also heard that water is just as effective at neutralizing the corrosive salts, but I figure the Windex has surfactants in it that help give it a little "pre-cleaning" cleaning.

Top Bottom