• ...and so much more!
  • Bluejeeper

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2014
    Montgomery County
    From JTgarner:

"In Indiana you can hunt deer with a 300blk ar in pistol form, you can also hunt with a 7.62x39 ar pistol."

Have you hunted with these? Moreover did you check the legality of these? I'm not saying you're wrong but I interpret the reg differently.

From the 2014 IN Hunting Regulation:

"Handguns
    , other than muzzleloading, must have a barrel at least 4 inches long and must fire a bullet of .243-inch diameter or larger. The handgun cartridge case, without the bullet, must be at least 1.16 inches long. Full metal-jacketed bullets are not permitted. The handgun must not be a rifle that has a barrel less than 18 inches or be designed or redesigned to be fired from the shoulder."

For instance, could you hunt with a Coonan Arms .357 magnum?? It's my understanding that a handgun they are referring to is a revolver or single shot type like a Thompson contender, not a semi-auto handgun.

Where in the regulations does it say that you can't use a semi auto pistol?

engineerpower

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jun 1, 2008
    State of Boone
    How about a SBR AK without the stock? Mine began life as a pistol I built and Form 1'ed, so based on the ATF's current stance on rifle-handgun interchangeability, I can return it legally to a handgun status. Does the guidebook specify what counts as a hangun in anyway that would prevent this?

ryan3030

Master
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    Indy
    The handgun must not be a rifle that has a barrel less than 18 inches or be designed or redesigned to be fired from the shoulder."

That is an interesting addition...wonder when it was added. Do not like.

OneBadV8

Stay Picky my Friends
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Aug 7, 2008
    Ft Wayne
    Not to :hijack: But this thread title always makes me think of this when I read it... I feel like the advice is the same in this instance :):

[video=youtube;JAXnikgHTK0]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JAXnikgHTK0[/video]

Ruffnek

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    I've pretty much decided to go the pistol route.Now my next question is if there is any law that prevents me from putting a longer barrel on the pistol,such as dropping on an 18" SPR upper?

If not,what's the best way to go about it mechanically?Can a pistol buffer tube use a carbine or mid length gas system?

Last edited:

mammynun

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 30, 2009
    New Albany
    I've pretty much decided to go the pistol route.Now my next question is if there is any law that prevents me from putting a longer barrel on the pistol,such as dropping on an 18" SPR upper?

If not,what's the best way to go about it mechanically?Can a pistol buffer tube use a carbine or mid length gas system?

Yes, a pistol buffer is the same length as a standard carbine (non-A2) buffer tube/receiver extension. I have no opinion in regards to the hunting aspect...

Top Bottom