• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Slow Hand

Master
    Rating - 99.4%
    153   1   0
    Aug 27, 2008
    West Side
    I noticed you didn't specifically mention the AR platform... Don't forget that you can also get an AK platform pistol from the factory with an arm brace. My M92 pistol was reliable, but hard to really shoot as a pistol. It's an SBR now and I think it'll be much more useful!

tradertator

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    Greene County
    Just my :twocents: but I personally would just form 1 it, and then put the rifle in whatever configuration you want. That way your not limited to that ugly Sig thing, can adjust the length of pull to whatever you so feel like, and have a more stable shooting platform. You could keep it in a pistol form and use it while your waiting, then ditch the parts once your stamp is in.

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    Not true at all... but I think I know what you mean so I'm going to fix this...
    Don't know if you plan on hunting with it, but once a .300blk is in SBR form it is no longer legal to DEER hunt with in IN. If you keep it as a pistol with a brace, it's still legal for Deer hunting. A 300 BLK SBR would still be legal for all other hunting that doesn't specifically exclude rifle calibers.

NyleRN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Dec 14, 2013
    Scottsburg
    IMO, SBR isn't worth the red tape or the added cost of a stamp. I think that it's none of my government's business of what I have in my house. And I sure don't want to give them the right to come in my house whenever they want to "check up" on my class 3 items. I'm not registering any of my firearms with the ATF.

ryknoll3

Master
    Rating - 75%
    3   1   0
    Sep 7, 2009
    Wow. The internet false rumors and fear-mongering are running wild in this thread. Let me address these things.
    Also keep in mind that if you keep an SBR as a truck gun, if someone in in the truck without you it could place them in danger of "unregistered possession" or the "constructive intent" BS. :bs:
    This is the same absurdity that wife + knowledge-of-safe-combo = felony.

The SBR and pistol with armbrace are about equal in functionality, but the pistol+brace is no big deal for someone to be in the truck without you. Much easier to replace in the case of theft, as well.

No one's wife has ever been prosecuted for knowing the combination to her husband's safe containing his NFA stuff. The law doesn't require you to keep those things in a safe anyways. So you're telling me that if you have NFA stuff and don't have a safe, everyone who steps foot in your house is a potential felon? This is just internet fear-mongering from trust lawyers. Also, if you make it a habit of loaning your truck to others while leaving your guns in it, they're pretty likely to get jammed up anyways, as most people don't have an LTCH. Also, leaving someone in your truck while you run into a store or something isn't going to get them busted for possession of YOUR guns.

Also think about what happens if someone breaks into your truck and steals it. If it is just a pistol with a brace, then you file a police report, get the serial number in the system and move on. If it's a registered SBR, be ready to have the ATF up your @#$% for a while.

If you are thinking about using this gun for a real, practical purpose, I wouldn't consider an SBR. It's not fair and the rules are stupid, but it's really not worth the trouble.

People who have their NFA stuff stolen aren't treated any differently from those who's regular guns are stolen. The only scrutiny you'd encounter was if it occurred multiple times. Again, no evidence to support your statement.

IMO, SBR isn't worth the red tape or the added cost of a stamp. I think that it's none of my government's business of what I have in my house. And I sure don't want to give them the right to come in my house whenever they want to "check up" on my class 3 items. I'm not registering any of my firearms with the ATF.

Last but not least, more internet/gunshop BS. The ATF is NOT allowed to EVER come into your house without your invitation or a warrant, which they would only get if they had probable cause that you've done something illegal. It is completely false that they can show up when they want to inspect your stuff. You may not like them knowing what you have by registering, but the myth that you give up your 4A rights when you have NFA stuff is just that, a myth.

To the OP, depending on your situation, it may be better for you to have the gun in a pistol configuration. For example, I live in IN but work in IL. If I had the gun in a pistol configuration, I could keep the gun loaded in my car with my LTCH. If it was in SBR configuration, I'd have to have an approved 5320.20 to take it to IL, and it would have to in a case in the trunk. Depending on where you go, it might be easier in a legal sense to transport a pistol, as opposed to an SBR. A lot of states would let you transport the "pistol" loaded because you have an LTCH, where they would require a rifle to be unloaded and cased. Many of the "negatives" posted here about SBR configuration are based on internet/gunshop myths, so I'd take those with a grain of salt, but the answer depends on your circumstances.

My advice: If it's legal where you travel most frequently to bring an SBR, I'd go that route.

Ruffnek

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Thanks for the input ryknoll3.I think I'll go the pistol route because it's more simple and less hassle that way.I may buy a suppressor down the road but I don't care to mess with NFA just yet.Also,I never know what's going to happen to pull me to a state like Illinois so a pistol would be less hassle all around.Plus,I'm going to have to wait for the tax check on this build so I won't have much wait left in me for a stamp.I really do appreciate your :twocents:

hondatech2k2

Shooter
    Rating - 98.2%
    55   1   0
    Jul 10, 2011
    Greenwood
    Thanks for the input ryknoll3.I think I'll go the pistol route because it's more simple and less hassle that way.I may buy a suppressor down the road but I don't care to mess with NFA just yet.Also,I never know what's going to happen to pull me to a state like Illinois so a pistol would be less hassle all around.Plus,I'm going to have to wait for the tax check on this build so I won't have much wait left in me for a stamp.I really do appreciate your :twocents:

Until IL bans high capacity magazines, and every evil little characteristic of your setup lmao.

Jeremy1066

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 25, 2011
    Ft. Wayne
    Or you could try shooting it as a pistol with just a plain buffer tube and go from there. Why spend extra money on stuff (arm brace, SBR stamp) that you may not even need?

Force10

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 9, 2014
    Franklin County
    Not true at all... but I think I know what you mean so I'm going to fix this...
    Originally Posted by Force10 Don't know if you plan on hunting with it, but once a .300blk is in SBR form it is no longer legal to DEER hunt with in IN. If you keep it as a pistol with a brace, it's still legal for Deer hunting. A 300 BLK SBR would still be legal for all other hunting that doesn't specifically exclude rifle calibers.

Thank you kindly. That is indeed what I meant. :bowdown:

daddyusmaximus

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99%
    95   1   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Remington
    I built a pistol and didn't like the way it shot without a stock. Jumped through the SBR hoops and THEN found out about the Sig brace.

I hate being out the money to the gov...
    I hate being on another "list".
    I hate not being able to take it on out of state trips...

I love the way it shoots! I also love the little Storm case it fits in. It's the size of a pregnant briefcase and looks pretty much like a camera case. I saw the case online and bought it before I finished the gun. Then built it to fit the case. This was stupid, I know, but it worked out real well. It has been accurate, reliable, and fun!

It's primary use is as a home defense gun, so I'm happy with it. Problem is, I'm so damn happy with it, I want to take it with me more often. I don't really leave the state very often so that's normally not a big deal, but I'll be putting the brace on my other pistol in the future. It won't be as stable or comfy as a real stock, but I'm sure it will be way better than shooting off the buffer tube.

Here it is.

ryknoll3

Master
    Rating - 75%
    3   1   0
    Sep 7, 2009
    I built a pistol and didn't like the way it shot without a stock. Jumped through the SBR hoops and THEN found out about the Sig brace.

I hate being out the money to the gov...
    I hate being on another "list".
    I hate not being able to take it on out of state trips...

I love the way it shoots! I also love the little Storm case it fits in. It's the size of a pregnant briefcase and looks pretty much like a camera case. I saw the case online and bought it before I finished the gun. Then built it to fit the case. This was stupid, I know, but it worked out real well. It has been accurate, reliable, and fun!

It's primary use is as a home defense gun, so I'm happy with it. Problem is, I'm so damn happy with it, I want to take it with me more often. I don't really leave the state very often so that's normally not a big deal, but I'll be putting the brace on my other pistol in the future. It won't be as stable or comfy as a real stock, but I'm sure it will be way better than shooting off the buffer tube.

Here it is.

You do know you can file a 5320.20 and take it to any state that allows them, including IL if you also hold a C&R license? Also, you can file them for a year's duration, so you can go any time you want. I have 3 states that I visit every year. In September, I file the 3 for the next calendar year.

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    I guess I don't do a lot of travelling out of state on short notice so I don't see the big deal. Besides, if you fax vs mail the travel forms w/ an expedite request the NFA office can usually turn them around in a couple days if something comes up. The only place I may usually visit on short notice is family and I have those states covered year round (I do Feb 1 Jan 31 so holidays are covered under 1 form).

5 minutes plus a couple stamps per year is all the hassle involved.

I'd much rather have that minor inconvenience vs the un-adjustable sig brace "stock" or just a buffer tube.

-rvb

daddyusmaximus

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99%
    95   1   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Remington
    I'm thinking more of "on vacation". In the future (I'm building my truck now) I want to be able to go out west an see more of this country traveling and camping in my truck. My SBR is very handy and I would like to take it with me. Can you put multiple states on the one form?

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    Do you need a 5320.20 for each state you might stop in along the way or just the destination?

1371MARINE

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 3, 2013
    The Region
    From JTgarner:

"In Indiana you can hunt deer with a 300blk ar in pistol form, you can also hunt with a 7.62x39 ar pistol."

Have you hunted with these? Moreover did you check the legality of these? I'm not saying you're wrong but I interpret the reg differently.

From the 2014 IN Hunting Regulation:

"Handguns
    , other than muzzleloading, must have a barrel at least 4 inches long and must fire a bullet of .243-inch diameter or larger. The handgun cartridge case, without the bullet, must be at least 1.16 inches long. Full metal-jacketed bullets are not permitted. The handgun must not be a rifle that has a barrel less than 18 inches or be designed or redesigned to be fired from the shoulder."

For instance, could you hunt with a Coonan Arms .357 magnum?? It's my understanding that a handgun they are referring to is a revolver or single shot type like a Thompson contender, not a semi-auto handgun.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom