Should Gun Owners Have to Pass a Background Check to Purchase a Gun from a Retailer?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Should Gun Buyers Have to Pass a background Check to Purchase a Gun from a Retailer?

• Total voters

ol' trucker

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 9, 2010
    indianapolis
    No. I have read that little document..you know,the one that collects dust in the basement of politicians. and no where was it mentioned that if you could pass a background check,then you could posses a firearm. I think they laid it out pretty well, that it is God given right to be armed. they treat gun ownership like it is a privilege. like a gun permit...which is exactly unconstitutional. the government likes treating all of our rights like a privilege. because if they seen it for what it is...a right,they could not take it away from you. when they turn it into a privilege,then thay can take it away from you, because they don't like the way you are using....so called privilege.

John Galt

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 18, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    Indiana State Constitution - Article I Section 32. - The people shall have a right to bear arms, for the defense of themselves and the State.

The Bill of Rights - Amendment II - A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Funny, I don't see anything mentioning a "background check"? Aren't these the laws that elected officials swear an oath to protect, uphold and defend? :patriot:

kevinj110

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 5, 2009
    home
    The sad part is we have to talk about it. It would be a great thing if the thought of background checks for firearms would laughable and unheard of.

INGunGuy

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 1, 2008
    Jeffersonville, Indiana
    But we pass a psudo-background check when the dealer calls in your info to purchase a gun. I mean I dont like ANY real kind of gun control. Yea keep guns out of the hands of the insane, felons, and serious violent people. But I dont think a person should have to jump thru any hoops to purchase a firearm. I think a better question is do you think that people should have to fill out the 4473 form to purchase a firearm?

INGunGuy

The Meach

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 23, 2009
    Nobletucky
    I think a better question is do you think that people should have to fill out the 4473 form to purchase a firearm?

INGunGuy

Hell to the no. If a movie maker can think of it, a real invading army can too. Form 4473 is detrimental to national security. Weapon regestries and reords of purchase are top level military intelligence targets.

reddawn.jpg

Trujillo107

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 21, 2008
    NWI
    But we pass a psudo-background check when the dealer calls in your info to purchase a gun. I mean I dont like ANY real kind of gun control. Yea keep guns out of the hands of the insane, felons, and serious violent people. But I dont think a person should have to jump thru any hoops to purchase a firearm. I think a better question is do you think that people should have to fill out the 4473 form to purchase a firearm?

INGunGuy

I misunderstand the question, I thought that phone call was the background check. In which case I never had any particular feelings about it cuz I never have a problem buying a gun. But a actual background check like having to go to the sheriffs office with a form, yeah F that noise. As for the 4473 form, I know that criminals will get their guns one way or the other but if the 4473 makes that much harder then I'll willing to put up with the inconvienance every time I buy a new gun. So my yes turns to no.

JoshuaW

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 18, 2010
    South Bend, IN
    No in principal, yes in practicality. If it was an instant check, no stored data, no info on the gun, sure. Pain, yes. Keeps people from thinking criminals can get guns, sure.

That is about as far as I will bend. Check and make sure I have no felonies, let me buy ANYTHING. I do believe certain felony offenders should be able to have guns. Non-violent ones certainly should.

Wabatuckian

Smith-Sights.com
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 9, 2008
    Wabash
    I voted no, and I'll add that I really miss the days of being able to flash the carry permit and walk out without any bullcrap hassle.

Wabatuckian

Smith-Sights.com
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 9, 2008
    Wabash
    Wait wait wait... wait a second.

Who the hell voted yes? :xmad:

Why can't we see who voted for what? Should have been that kind of poll.

IndyGunner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 27, 2010
    The guy in arizona got his legally... look how that turned out. Our current gun laws/policies dont work. Lawmakers dont realize allowing more freedom with guns is the solution to so many things.

Richard47

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 21, 2010
    There are millions of guns, there is no way that someone living free cannot obtain one. It's a feel good measure. No study has shown the slightest impact of the NICS checks. It's theatre security.

Did the drinking age ever slow you down as a teenager?

Prohibition didn't work eitheer.

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    As for the 4473 form, I know that criminals will get their guns one way or the other but if the 4473 makes that much harder then I'll willing to put up with the inconvienance every time I buy a new gun. So my yes turns to no.

You do realize it is far easier for someone of a less reputable nature to gain possession of a firearm than it is for you. Not to mention it is also cheaper too... ;)

Top Bottom