should felons be able to purchase weapons??

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • irishfan

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 30, 2009
    in your head
    Incorrect. My wife may not own firearms, as the house is mine. Therefore it falls under the legal doctrine of Constructive possession, this is how cars repossessions and foreclosures occur. The simple fact that the gun is in my house makes me it's possessor. The exception would be if the guns were locked in a safe, to which only she had a key, and I had no access thereto. Which pretty much defeats the purpose of owning a firearm for self defense in the first place.

And lol @ the "well he shouldn't have committed a felony in the first place." It was self-defense. The only reason I was even prosecuted is because the individual who was the original belligerent happened to be a policeman.

You mean like a gunvault which she has the combination to and thousands of people keep their pistols in?

barcode92

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 17, 2011
    what about people who are accused of a felony but it gets dropped to a misdemeanor? can they purchase a weapon? do they need to wait until the court case is closed? Is this still being under indictment for a felony, or wanted for information in a felony? or is that point moot since the felony was dropped to a misdemeanor?

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Downtown Fort Wayne
    It definitely depends on the severity/nature of their crime. Violent criminals - hell no, I don't even see why they let out murderers and rapists but I'm sure not going to give them back rights just because they spent a lot of time behind concrete and bars.

NYFelon

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 1, 2011
    DPRNY
    @ Barcode92 The only misdemeanor I am aware of which precludes one from ownership of a firearm is one of domestic violence.

NYFelon

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 1, 2011
    DPRNY
    Yes, I know what a gun vault is. I also know that the precious seconds it may take you to open it is enough time for a home invader to harm my son, my wife, or myself.

irishfan

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 30, 2009
    in your head
    Yes, I know what a gun vault is. I also know that the precious seconds it may take you to open it is enough time for a home invader to harm my son, my wife, or myself.

So you would rather not have a firearm at all then have your wife use the gunvault? That really does not make much since at all.

NYFelon

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 1, 2011
    DPRNY
    Firstly, we've gotten off-topic. Secondly, that isn't what I said. What I said was "a gunvault takes time to open, and as such makes it an impediment to the use of a firearm as a defensive measure when time is a factor". Of course, that's paraphrased, since those weren't my exact words, but rather the impetus of what I stated.

Discussing the issue with you is a dead end. Your mind is made up, and that is your right.

I've shared some pretty personal information with you all, even though this is of course an anonymous internet board. I'd like, if I may though, to ask you a question. Have you ever been in a fist fight in your adult life (by which I mean 18+ years of age)? Pure curiosity.

And I maintain that had the person in question not been an LEO, I would likely not have been charged at all, or at most with misdemeanor assault or disturbing the peace, or some other "nuisance" law.

irishfan

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 30, 2009
    in your head
    Firstly, we've gotten off-topic. Secondly, that isn't what I said. What I said was "a gunvault takes time to open, and as such makes it an impediment to the use of a firearm as a defensive measure when time is a factor". Of course, that's paraphrased, since those weren't my exact words, but rather the impetus of what I stated.

Discussing the issue with you is a dead end. Your mind is made up, and that is your right.

I've shared some pretty personal information with you all, even though this is of course an anonymous internet board. I'd like, if I may though, to ask you a question. Have you ever been in a fist fight in your adult life (by which I mean 18+ years of age)? Pure curiosity.

And I maintain that had the person in question not been an LEO, I would likely not have been charged at all, or at most with misdemeanor assault or disturbing the peace, or some other "nuisance" law.

Why did you get a felony for a fist fight? And yes to your question.

Now, I have to wonder what someone who uses a screen name of a "felon" is wanting to do here? Are you proud of being a felon or something?

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in

i will bet about every gun owner on this site COULD have ended up in your situation. everyone does dumb stuff when they are teenagers (18+) some get caught some dont.

sure folks will get on and say "i never did anything at all" and some may very well have not done anything. most have and got lucky

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    Every free person should have the right to protect oneself. If you are free, you should not have any restrictions on rights.

With the exception of the second amendment. :rolleyes:

Either you support the constitution or you don't. You can't pick which parts you agree with. Maybe read the second again, I haven't found exceptions for felons.

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Downtown Fort Wayne
    I don't know why everyone is bashing NYFelon. If you read his original post it says why he's here and your exactly right it was a subject he's searching on google. Anyhow, I feel for you man. It sound like a pretty effed up situation that anybody could have been in. I've had charges levied against me that got dropped but they still come up on background checks which causes me employement problems so I can kind of relate. I also did quite a bit of institution time as a juvenile so I can also relate to the incarceration experience.
    I don't agree with the manditory minimums, and the restriction of rights applied in such a blind manner. There should definitely be some recourse open to you and people in similar situations. Owning and carrying a firearm is all about defending yourself and family so why people aren't seeing that is beyond me.
    :welcome:II:ingo:

Bunnykid68

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Mar 2, 2010
    Cave of Caerbannog
    Why did you get a felony for a fist fight? And yes to your question.

Now, I have to wonder what someone who uses a screen name of a "felon" is wanting to do here? Are you proud of being a felon or something?
    Because the person whose ass got kicked ended up being a drunk off duty officer according to his story.

Top Bottom