Should a convicted felon ever get their gun rights back?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Should a convicted felon be allowed to get their gun rights back?

• Total voters

snakeeye

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 7, 2011
    Traders Point
    I think it's important for gun owners to be perceived by the public as upstanding citizens and on a higher level so to speak, especially the way things are right now.

Bunnykid68

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Mar 2, 2010
    Cave of Caerbannog
    We live in a society where someone can murder another human being and be out of jail in a matter of years. Why should that person deserve to have the right to protect themselves? They shouldn't! They can cry about losing their rights, what about the person who lost their life, what about their rights? That's right, they don't have any, because they are dead!

If you commit a crime, you are aware of the consequences of being caught. This is the reason we have these consequences, to help PREVENT the crimes from happening.

Simple as this, if you are going to steal a car and know the results of getting caught stealing that care are that you will never be able to own a firearm, never be able to vote, you will have a hard time finding a job, and so on, then WHY would you steal that car?

The laws are there for a reason, to deter you from doing it! If there were no result for your actions the world would be chaos! I am not here to classify what is or should/shouldn't be a felony, purely that if you know you are committing a felony, you are aware of the consequences, so don't cry about it when you lose your rights!
    SO they should be punished forever? Seriously? For stealing a car? And we wonder what is wrong with this country.

Warsaw214

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2013
    Warsaw
    An emotional and narrow response is NO... on par with Gun Laws being sought after Sandy Hook that do not address root cause and/or reduce re-occurrence. One based on wisdom... should be "It depends"... assessing all the factors, details, child or adult, timeline, etc.

More just, but too time consuming and highly unlikely in today's drive thru fast-food society

richardraw316

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    47   0   0
    Dec 12, 2011
    The Danville
    We live in a society where someone can murder another human being and be out of jail in a matter of years. Why should that person deserve to have the right to protect themselves? They shouldn't! They can cry about losing their rights, what about the person who lost their life, what about their rights? That's right, they don't have any, because they are dead!

If you commit a crime, you are aware of the consequences of being caught. This is the reason we have these consequences, to help PREVENT the crimes from happening.

Simple as this, if you are going to steal a car and know the results of getting caught stealing that care are that you will never be able to own a firearm, never be able to vote, you will have a hard time finding a job, and so on, then WHY would you steal that car?

The laws are there for a reason, to deter you from doing it! If there were no result for your actions the world would be chaos! I am not here to classify what is or should/shouldn't be a felony, purely that if you know you are committing a felony, you are aware of the consequences, so don't cry about it when you lose your rights![/QUOTE

I'm sorry but that is too black and white of an answer. I have a friend who made a mistake at 16 years old. They arrested him over two years later and tried him as an adult.
    or how about a story I heard about a guy having a malfunction with his ar15 that cause it to go full auto at a range and he got arrested by the batfe? Assuming they did not drop those stupid charges against him. Should he never get his right to protect himself and his family back? I agree. Murderer. Rapist and child molesters took away someone elses rights and there for should never get their back. But their has to be a gray area. We need to judge it by a case by case basis.

Sorry for the bad grammer. I cant find the comma on my wife's kindle. Lol

nocash84

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 12, 2013
    People with enough money can buy their way out of a felony with a couple of good lawyers, I have seen this many times.

mikem1

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 13, 2013
    "IF" that bill that chucky soomer ever becomes law we will all be felons ( I know thats not how you spell it, don't care.) that bill is bad all need to check it out then say something .

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County

Hohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    USA
    Hey guys,

Since we're in agreement on the main point of rights vs privileges, just wanted to make a few comments on that article, peripheral to the thread topic. I understand the point he's trying to make, but don't agree with the method from a linguistic standpoint. Having only a basic understanding of Latin prefixes and several other terms - mostly understood from context if not from a dictionary - it might seem picky or inappropriate to say anything. Anyway ...

I do recall from a very young age reading that line from The Declaration and being a little aggravated that it read "inalienable" instead of "unalienable", if for no other reason than one of uniformity. That is, in most all the other texts on any topics, the prefix "un" was used more often than not. At the time, I shrugged it off as a difference in writing style of the time (sometimes seen in other documents of the colonial era), and it didn't matter since - for me anyhow - both prefixes have the same contextual meaning. That being "not".

Thanks for posting this.

Perhaps you could explain the whole flammable=inflammable thing now? That's had me stumped for decades.:dunno:

Redhorse

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 8, 2013
    I would have made the poll public. My vote was definitely. If they'd done their time and paid their debt to society, shouldn't they be a free man?

Murders, aremed robbers, and rapists are released from prison everyday and you think they should be allowed to be armed. I'm sorry but it's clear they've lost the right to have access to firearms just to commit yet ANOTHER crime. This group of people are the very reason other people have to be armed so why should it be legal for them to be on the same playing ground? I know they'll do so illegally but why do they "earn" the right to do so legally? It doesn't bring the person they killed back or make the person they raped feel better. My .02 :twocents:

On a side note, one shouldn't lose their right to have firearms because they're convicted of fraud, for example.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Does a violent or non violent felon care about or respect the rights of others?:dunno:

I would say that we must also consider the question of how someone involved in the use of a politically incorrect substance is infringing on the rights of others. Then, we are back to the problem that if we allow felons to be demoted to second-class citizenship, then we all stand the risk of being so demoted as more actions are criminalized and more misdemeanors are promoted to felonies, and in the end the only non-felons will be those in positions to receive special favors from the criminal justice system.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Murders, aremed robbers, and rapists are released from prison everyday and you think they should be allowed to be armed. I'm sorry but it's clear they've lost the right to have access to firearms just to commit yet ANOTHER crime. This group of people are the very reason other people have to be armed so why should it be legal for them to be on the same playing ground? I know they'll do so illegally but why do they "earn" the right to do so legally? It doesn't bring the person they killed back or make the person they raped feel better. My .02 :twocents:

On a side note, one shouldn't lose their right to have firearms because they're convicted of fraud, for example.

If they are too dangerous to live as citizens with all their rights respected, they should not be released from prison. Once again, allowing the existence of a second-class citizenship opens the door to having most or all people demoted to this condition.

Top Bottom