• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • deanwirth

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 30, 2012
    Im becomming more intered in trap shooting, along with hunting, and still can't really decide what I should consider for a shotgun. I want one that can have a slug barrel installed and a smooth bore, prefferably with a removable choke tube. This will be my first shotgun purchase and I dont have a ton of money to fund it yet.

DustyDawg48

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 11, 2010
    Mount Vernon
    Almost impossible to go wrong with a Remington 870 and many will recommend the Mossberg 500 or the Benelli Nova as well. All very affordable and will be chambered for 2 3/4 & 3" shells. Any of those 3 would serve you well for decades to come.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 15, 2012
    Southern Indiana
    Go with the Remington 870. it is a great hunting shotgun and will serve it's purpose for trap too. I have a remington 870 express super magnum and i use it for Trap, Turkey Hunting, Rabbit Hunting, Squirrel Hunting and i could use it for deer hunting if i got a cantelever barrel, but i use a bow or Muzzleloader during deer season. I promise, you can't go wrong with this gun! especially for the $$$

BoomstickBuff

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 31, 2011
    Noblesville
    As have already been suggested, both the Mossberg 500 and Remington 870 would be excellent choices. Not too expensive, great quality, flexible, good options for chokes, barrels, etc. If you keep your eyes open, you should be able to find some good deals for either gun used as well.

Good luck!

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 15, 2012
    Southern Indiana
    My suggestion would be to go to a store (Local Gun Shop, Dicks, Gander Mountain, etc.) and look at them both side by side to compare them so you know which one "feels like it fits you" and then look for one at a good deal.

deanwirth

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 30, 2012
    I've had my eyes on both the mossberg and mainly the 870. I've been the a few gun stores but I have trouble getting the "feel" for a gun until I can shoot it. I'm so used to making the gun fit for me when shooting with friends. But I haven't shot an 870 or mossberg yet.

Lagrange

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 8, 2012
    Lagrange, IN.
    I love the Remington 870. As others have suggested, it is a great gun for many applications.
    The Mossberg 500 (while I have a few of them) is a wonderful gun, and I like the safety placement, it is noisy in the deer woods. Grab a 500 and jiggle the foregrip. Deer hear that especially on a cold crisp quiet morning.

singlesix

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, In
    I've had my eyes on both the mossberg and mainly the 870. I've been the a few gun stores but I have trouble getting the "feel" for a gun until I can shoot it. I'm so used to making the gun fit for me when shooting with friends. But I haven't shot an 870 or mossberg yet.

Where are you located?

hoosier978

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 3, 2012
    Count me in for another 870, they really are the best. You don't wanna spend too much before you know what you're gettin into!

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    The 870 is a good dependible gun, as is the Mossberg 500. Dicks has a combo Mossberg set on sale with a changable choke barrel for bird hunting or recreational clay target shooting plus it comes with it a scoped cantilever rifled slug barrel for $300. Both barrels, scope and everything for that price, you cannot go wrong. I paid over $200 for a rifled slug barrel alone several years ago. Good Luck

Top Bottom