• ...and so much more!
  • Goodcat

From a place you cannot see…
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    153   0   0
    Jan 13, 2009
    New Pal
    I am attending a conference in Chicago. I know that handguns are banned, and I don't plan on breaking that law. Yes, it's my God given right, but it's also my job's God given right to fire me if I get arrested and don't come to work the next day because I was searched.

That being said, are there high capacity limits? The gun in question 1300 defender with a 7 shot tube.

I just want to be sure I'm in the clear packing it in the trunk!

Archbishop

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    INDY
    My understanding is you could only have it in your trunk if you were passing through the state. And follow the ammo separate from gun in trunk bit.

ryknoll3

Master
    Rating - 75%
    3   1   0
    Sep 7, 2009
    I e-mailed the Illinois State Police and asked them about bringing guns to IL to shoot at a friend's range on his farm property, and I received an e-mail back stating that if I was legally able to possess in my state, I was legal in IL.

That said, I wouldn't bring ANY firearms to Chicago. It would not go well for you if caught.

Astrocreep

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 30, 2009
    Indy
    Don't even risk it man.
    Chicago is la-la land as far as the law is concerned.

They wouldn't hesitate to make you eat pavement and at minimum lock you up overnight and confiscate your shotgun. Never gonna see that again.

Jeebus help you if you actually shoot someone with it.

Goodcat

From a place you cannot see…
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    153   0   0
    Jan 13, 2009
    New Pal
    bastards! Look likes I'm going naked for a day. ergh!

Thanks for the info everyone!

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    FYI, the FOID requirements ONLY apply to Illinois residents. Hoosiers, Hawkeyes, Badgers, etc don't have to abide by those goofy rules.

Peaceable Journey laws DO apply if you're passing THROUGH prohibited areas and not stopping.

It wouldn't surprise me if shotguns were 100% verboten in Chicago proper, but not sure.

I've taken a few toys, a few different times, up through Chicago towards Rockford while visiting some of my wife's family. Have even been to an indoor range, with MY firearms, a few times. Of course, I never thought about attempting to actually carry anything while there.

Illinois is a little better, restrictions-wise, on "foreigners" than it is their own residents...but not much.

-J-

The Keymaster

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 12, 2010
    Manistee County, MI
    I have worked in Chicago for the last 22 years. I lived in Chicago for 9 years. Not once have I ever had an issue where I would have been at risk of being caught with a weapon during a traffic stop. I have never been asked to open my trunk, and I have never been asked to get out of my vehicle. I have never been asked about weapons in my vehicle. That's just my personal experience for informational purposes only. Each individual has to make his own decision as to handle their personal protection situation.

6birds

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 15, 2008
    Fishers
    FYI, the FOID requirements ONLY apply to Illinois residents. Hoosiers, Hawkeyes, Badgers, etc don't have to abide by those goofy rules.

This! FOID is for rezidents. For an out-of-stater with or without a hunting license, with or without stopping, you are legal. Cased in the trunk (out of reach of the driver), unloaded, ammo separate from firearm.

WIZZO499

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 29, 2009
    Illinois state law does not stipulate where ammo must be transported, just that the weapon is unloaded and in a case (a gunsock qualifies).

Cook County has an AWB, but a 7rd shotgun would hardly fill that definition unless you have a collapsible stock.

joekoug

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 12, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    Illinois state law does not stipulate where ammo must be transported, just that the weapon is unloaded and in a case (a gunsock qualifies).

Cook County has an AWB, but a 7rd shotgun would hardly fill that definition unless you have a collapsible stock.

What he said. I just moved here from Chicago last year and I know this is correct. You can have a shotgun in your trunk provided it is unloaded and cased. Now what good is a firearm that is locked inside your trunk unloaded INSIDE a case? None. That's one of the biggest reasons I finally made the decision to get the heck out of there.

You can transport a handgun in the same manner as long as you're passing THROUGH, but if you're visiting someone and you're found with a handgun you're up poopoo creek sans paddle.

Just my :twocents: - For your own piece of mind I would contact Illinois State Police to hear it from them.

Joe

pinshooter45

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 1, 2009
    Indianapolis
    They even arrested Paul Harvey!

I seem to remeber a few years back Paul Harvey was arrested for haveing a Shotgun in his trunk while in Chicago. I think he forgot to take it out of the car after hunting or skeet shooting. Can't remeber what penalties he had to pay, also I think his FOID card was expired too!

WIZZO499

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 29, 2009
    You can transport a handgun in the same manner as long as you're passing THROUGH, but if you're visiting someone and you're found with a handgun you're up poopoo creek sans paddle.

Joe

False. Out of staters can bring handguns into the state if they are legally allowed to possess them in their home state.

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    bastards! Look likes I'm going naked for a day. ergh!

Thanks for the info everyone!

Would it be worth your while to go to your conference in 'cago proper and spend your nights just on the American side of the border? I know it's a longer drive, but it might be worth it.

:twocents: :dunno:

Blessings,
    Bill

finity

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 29, 2008
    Auburn

This! FOID is for rezidents. For an out-of-stater with or without a hunting license, with or without stopping, you are legal. Cased in the trunk (out of reach of the driver), unloaded, ammo separate from firearm.

Ding, ding, ding!!!

Thank you. Someone finally got the right anwswer.

It is legal for anout of state resident to bring guns into IL, even handguns. As long as they are unloaded & cased.

Here it is from the I(LL)SP:

http://www.isp.state.il.us/docs/1-154.pdf

Go to the second page, first column at the bottom.

It does not have to be in the trunk. Just in a case & unloaded.

Here is a IL Supreme Court case stating such:

Illinois vs. Bruner | Concealed Carry

Also the case doesn't have to even be locked as long as it fully encloses the gun & has some sort of closure device. That is only required by the IL Wildlife Code, not state law.

see second page, second column. & see above court case.

The law doesn't say anything about loaded magazines (unlike OH).

Also note that the law allows you to carry your handgun on your person as long as you meet the above requirements.

None of this applies to carrying handguns in Chicago (for now - come on McDonald!!) since they have a city-wide ban but long guns (according to law) shouldn't be a problem. Unless the police don't follow the law...but then you could be arrested for anything, firearm or not.

Last edited:

ryknoll3

Master
    Rating - 75%
    3   1   0
    Sep 7, 2009
    Ding, ding, ding!!!

Thank you. Someone finally got the right anwswer.

It is legal for anout of state resident to bring guns into IL, even handguns. As long as they are unloaded & cased.

Here it is from the I(LL)SP:

http://www.isp.state.il.us/docs/1-154.pdf

Go to the second page, first column at the bottom.

It does not have to be in the trunk. Just in a case & unloaded.

Here is a IL Supreme Court case stating such:

Illinois vs. Bruner | Concealed Carry

Also the case doesn't have to even be locked as long as it fully encloses the gun & has some sort of closure device. That is only required by the IL Wildlife Code, not state law.

see second page, second column. & see above court case.

The law doesn't say anything about loaded magazines (unlike OH).

Also note that the law allows you to carry your handgun on your person as long as you meet the above requirements.

None of this applies to carrying handguns in Chicago (for now - come on McDonald!!) since they have a city-wide ban but long guns (according to law) shouldn't be a problem. Unless the police don't follow the law...but then you could be arrested for anything, firearm or not.

I don't think McDonald, even when it comes down in favor of the plaintiff will do ANYTHING for non-residents of the city. The issue isn't the fact that there's a registration, but simply that the closure of that registration in 1982 or whenever it was resulted in a de-facto ban. In Heller, they did not strike down the idea of a registration flat-out, but simply stated that the city couldn't ban handguns either outright, or by closing down their registration. D.C. still has handgun registration. Chicago will still have handgun registration, just as they have long gun registration. Possession of an unregistered firearm in the city limits will still be verboten as far as I can tell, unless you are covered by peaceable journey laws, in which case you would only be traveling through the city.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 9, 2010
    Hellinois
    Gimme some time to find the legislation, but I do believe they just passed some provision that said a gun can be in one of your vehicles natural cases. Glove box, console etc. However it must be unloaded. As long as you're carrying the firearm legally, so, in your console unloaded. There is no restriction on how you carry the ammo. Therefore, a loaded clip on your lap would be acceptable. I'll try to find the info on this, but I have heard it buzzing around various local forums. The key thing being that a "gun case" could either be a purpose built case or any natural case your vehicle has.

edit....I believe this is outside of Crook county tho. still trying to find some info on it.

This is it..
    http://www.state.il.us/court/Opinions/SupremeCourt/2009/October/106367.pdf

JUST DO NOT CARRY IT ON YOUR PERSON!

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    False. Out of staters can bring handguns into the state if they are legally allowed to possess them in their home state.

I think he was referring to Cago* proper, since that is what this thread is about.

Gimme some time to find the legislation, but I do believe they just passed some provision that said a gun can be in one of your vehicles natural cases. Glove box, console etc. However it must be unloaded. As long as you're carrying the firearm legally, so, in your console unloaded. There is no restriction on how you carry the ammo. Therefore, a loaded clip on your lap would be acceptable. I'll try to find the info on this, but I have heard it buzzing around various local forums. The key thing being that a "gun case" could either be a purpose built case or any natural case your vehicle has.

You mean this one? http://www.handgunlaw.us/documents/ILSCRulingConsoleIsACase.pdf

I think you may be SOL, to possess a shotgun in Cago* it has to be registered before it is brought into the city. I do not know if that applies to visitors but I would guess that it does.

*Stolen from Bill of Rights.

Top Bottom