• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • devious169

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Earth and you?
    I currently shoot a benelli with the urbino pistol grip stock. After owning many of other standard stock shotguns, I will say that switching was smart on my behalf. Using a pistol grip is different at first. Over time I grew to absolutely love it. The grip helps mitigate recoil better imho, faster follow up shots, better balance especially with an extended mag tube and slugs feels a lot better though the 18'' barrel. I hope this helps you.

nad63

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 3, 2011
    If you're running an 870 or a Mossberg 500/590. Give this a look...

https://www.magpul.com/products/sga®-stock-–-remington®-870

Not exactly the grip angle you're talking about, but it's very ergonomic with a pistol-like grip integrated right into the buttstock. Also it has an adjustable cheek riser and stock length. I have it on my 870 and I love it!

GetImage.ashx

^^^ Changed to this from a pistol grip & no regrets.

Small's

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 16, 2012
    south of Indy
    i wouldnt put one on a mossberg 500/590 since the safety is on top you cant manipulate the safety without taking your hand off of the grip but an 870 would be good. The guys i know who run knox stock really like them. Take a tactical shotgun class and you will find alot of things that you thought was neat or would like wont work out well in the real world.

mrunnebo

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 18, 2015
    Bloomington
    I have a pistol grip on my Benelli turkey gun. I think it helps with ackward angled shots. It also helps absorb more of that heavy recoil in turkey loads. I wouldn't put one on a Mossberg for the same reason Small's mentioned. I've tried it, it doesn't work. I don't know why Mossberg sells shotguns with pistol grips, it just doesn't work.

craigkim

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 6, 2013
    Fishers
    I have a Benelli M4 with an urbino pistol grip stock that I bought to shorten the LOP from the factory stock. AND I have several other shotguns including an M2 with conventional stocks.

The pistol grip is nice for manipulating the gun over obstacles, through brush, etc especially when using a single point sling. It allows you to keep the gun muzzle up and forward even when using your left had to hold back brush or steady yourself over a tree or the like. I deer hunted with it the last few years for fun. I feel like the grip reduces recoil somewhat and makes for faster target acquisition and easier sight holds on stationary targets or slow moving ones. I think it gives you an advantage on targets that don't require a ton of muzzle travel be it horizontally or vertically. So, you might say that it is better when the shotgun is used more as a "rifle" for me. I pheasant hunted with the same gun and the only thing I liked about it was the short barrel, past that, I feel like it doesn't swing as smoothly on birds. I feel like the conventional stocks offer easier and more smooth muzzle travel on birds or game that can often come from almost any direction and that require follow through for good shots.

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    I don't follow 3 gun but are any of the top shooters using pistol grips? I can't recall any. I'd take the money I was going to spend on a stock and buy some practice ammo ans bacon.

FIFY

Bought an 870 with a pistol grip for home defense, after I took it to the range I switched to the rifle stock. Severe web bite.

I also bought a wood used stock and sawed it off, sanded it and coated it with thin HD foam. With that it handles like a dream, your arms flex with rhe recoil naturally.

Last edited:

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    RedMurph
    Top Bottom