• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Robjps

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 8, 2011
    We tried this in brown county on a test rig.

Guess what?

It all overpenetrates. All.

We setup about 4 rooms worth of drywall and more and in the end everything blew right through it.

So, while one myth here is the lethality of birdshot, the other is the lack of penetration in drywall of birdshot.

Seriously, go out, try it yourself, you might be amazed.

Pick a lethal round to do a lethal hit. Train hard to put it where it needs to go in the worst situation imaginable. Make the best shot you can in the instant only if you have to - but if you do, make it count.

Thank you, if you fire a firearm in your house drywall is not going to stop it. I dont care if its a 22lr or 50bmg.

Birdshot may leave nasty wounds but do you want to mess up a guys face or put him down for good? The military story above pretty much sums it up. Soldier takes 2 rounds of birdshot close range in the leg kills his attacker and another guy while wounded. Had that been a slug i doubt he would have the leg and perhaps not his life.

Robjps

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 8, 2011
    And ammo choices as a solution for a training/practice/knowledge problem are doomed to fail you.

cbseniour

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Feb 8, 2011
    South East Marion County
    It is all illrelevent because you neglect the primary assumption that most of the people who break into homes are cowards. Any 12 gauge behind the bedroom door is a good and effective tool.
    If you hear someone in your home pick up the shot gun, open the bedroom door and fire two rounds of ??? down the hall. In 99% of the cases the bq will break his leg tripping over the front door sill and you will have a few pellet holes to repair.

When you overthink things you create problems that otherwise would not exist.

Titanium_Frost

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Feb 6, 2011
    Southwestern Indiana
    It is all illrelevent because you neglect the primary assumption that most of the people who break into homes are cowards. Any 12 gauge behind the bedroom door is a good and effective tool.
    If you hear someone in your home pick up the shot gun, open the bedroom door and fire two rounds of ??? down the hall. In 99% of the cases the bq will break his leg tripping over the front door sill and you will have a few pellet holes to repair.

Your talking about warning shots and relying on scaring people with ineffective rounds and you think I'm the one over thinking things? I don't have to think about because I use a load that I know will stop anything coming through my door.

Robjps

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 8, 2011

Some people do not live alone and can/will not shoot blindly down the hall.... (not that i would advise anyone to ever).

As far as KISS the only real thing to think about is what is behind your target. Other people may need to think about what to do when birdshot didn't cut it.

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 7, 2011
    Jeffersonville

In that case, I guess I don't really need shells anyway - because the sight of a shotgun alone will cause an intruder to crap their pants in such a violent manner that they lose consciousness....

.... or maybe it will not, and the assumption that most of the people who break into homes are cowards does not hold true. We are, after all, talking about someone willing to force entry into your home. As wrong and criminal as it is - it would seem to take a bit of gall to forcibly and illegally invade homes.

Titanium_Frost

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Feb 6, 2011
    Southwestern Indiana
    ^^^ I was thinking a pumpgun would do just fine, all you have to do is rack it and the bad guys will lose their bowls all over the place. And if not after the first time, do it AGAIN just to show them who's boss... :rolleyes:

thebishopp

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 26, 2010
    Indiana

Just firing off to random shots down the hall seems pretty foolish, no, stupid to me. With your opinion wouldn't be better to just load the first couple rounds with blanks? It would be much safer with your idea of how things would go down.

Top Bottom