• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jgreiner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 13, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    Good deal, one more scum sucking criminal is off the streets....permanently.

I have NO sympathy for career criminals, like this guy was. I do feel for the family who's home was broken into, that is horrible to have to go through it.

If enough home owners will stand up like this, maybe the bad guys will find another trade. Or become extinct.

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    Don't want to get killed don't break into homes. A long career as a criminal will eventually get you killed. I have little sympathy for the criminal's family they knew he was a scum bag, because he had been one for most of his life. They admitted it in the interview. They just don't agree with him getting killed. Sooner or late good people get tired of bad behavior and will put a stop to it. He should have learned his lesson with his prior arrests.

I am glad the break in victims were able to escape both confrontations unharmed.

I am concerned that they should have made a police report about the first break in. The phrase that they knew he would be coming back concerns me. The family of the thief will likely file a civil case. If they do I hope they lose.

Dirtebiker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Feb 13, 2011
    Greenwood
    Don't want to get killed don't break into homes. A long career as a criminal will eventually get you killed. I have little sympathy for the criminal's family they knew he was a scum bag, because he had been one for most of his life. They admitted it in the interview. They just don't agree with him getting killed. Sooner or late good people get tired of bad behavior and will put a stop to it. He should have learned his lesson with his prior arrests.

I am glad the break in victims were able to escape both confrontations unharmed.

I am concerned that they should have made a police report about the first break in. The phrase that they knew he would be coming back concerns me. The family of the thief will likely file a civil case. If they do I hope they lose.

Finally someone mentioned what I was thinking. The wife said something like "we knew he would come back, he unlocked my window."
    Sounds like they could be charged with something (Murder by lying in wait?) because of her her statement. I hope not, I believe the criminal got whathe deserved!
    Good reason to ONLY tell dispatch what they NEED to know. Address, shots fired, bad guy down, ect.

Coach, in your first paragraph, you say "he should have learned his lesson with his prior arrests." that's the problem, the only "lesson" the criminals "learn" is that if/when you get caught, you get your wrist slapped and your back on the street! That's the problem! Jails are overcrowded, judges too lenient, probation officers with too many offenders to keep track of, not enough of a punishment for the crime!
    They seem to get bolder with every new crime they get away with! There is really only one way to stop them! :ar15:

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009

I think they did make a report about the first break in. At least one of the articles I read said the police confirmed that there was a previous break in.

Finally someone mentioned what I was thinking. The wife said something like "we knew he would come back, he unlocked my window."
    Sounds like they could be charged with something (Murder by lying in wait?) because of her her statement. I hope not, I believe the criminal got whathe deserved!
    Good reason to ONLY tell dispatch what they NEED to know. Address, shots fired, bad guy down, ect.

First off. I have absolutely no problems with the shoot and if they were charged and I was on the jury I would vote to acquit from what I know about this. Same for a civil suit.

But from other articles, it states that the guy left the window unlocked and the homeowners left it unlocked, and the husband slept downstairs (on the coach or floor depending on the article)with a handgun to catch the guy because they knew he was coming back.
    How is that any different then let's say wiring a shotgun to fire when the window opens? Other than the homeowner had to physically pull the trigger.

http://chronicle.northcoastnow.com/2012/10/26/alleged-burglar-was-shot-5-times/
    http://www.wkyc.com/rss/article/265730/45/Elyria-Police-investigate-home-invasion-shooting

Last edited:

paddling_man

Master
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Jul 17, 2008
    Fishers
    it states that the guy left the window unlocked and the homeowners left it unlocked, and the husband slept downstairs (on the coach or floor depending on the article)with a handgun to catch the guy because they knew he was coming back.
    How is that any different then let's say wiring a shotgun to fire when the window opens? Other than the homeowner had to physically pull the trigger.

If I had to hazard a guess, one is an indiscriminate booby trap and the other is a homeowner confronting a home invader.

I do get your point though. They lay in wait. Although for some commenters to infer that the homeowner is at fault because they left the window open runs dangerously close to the argument that the girl was asking to be raped because she wore a sexy dress.

repeter1977

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2012
    NWI
    laying in wait cause they supposedly left the window open? Is that like saying that a woman is asking to be harassed for the way that she is dressed? Not saying that homeowners should leave their house open, doors and windows and nothing bad will happen, but Im saying, if the window was even left open for ventilation, means its not secured, but he isn't laying in wait.

Dead Duck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011
    A lawyer’s fee for this wouldn't be cost effective but -

Would the homeowners have a chance in getting reimbursed for replacing their blood soaked couch, carpet and the shells for the gun used in the incident from the suspect's family?

If so, could they also throw in any repairs from the missed shot, therapy they might need in the future, etc...

Point is -
    There are always going to be a few bad apples from a good tree but when the whole tree is bad, shouldn't it be cut down so it doesn't infect the whole orchard? :n00b:

I know that God does his part with aiming tornadoes at trailer parks but it just doesn't seem to be enough.

paddling_man

Master
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Jul 17, 2008
    Fishers
    laying in wait cause they supposedly left the window open? Is that like saying that a woman is asking to be harassed for the way that she is dressed? Not saying that homeowners should leave their house open, doors and windows and nothing bad will happen, but Im saying, if the window was even left open for ventilation, means its not secured, but he isn't laying in wait.

I've got zero problems with the shoot. None. Zero. Although, if the article is correct (always a big if,) then they told the police that someone broke in the front door and they unlocked the upper window so they "knew they would be back." They didn't relock the window and instead waited in front of it all night with a gun in their hand.

I'm not saying I wouldn't do the same thing. A better-a-time-of-their-choosing sort of situation. Seriously, I got no problems with the way it went down. However, "lying in wait" would still seem to be accurate.

Noun 1. lying in wait - the act of concealing yourself and lying in wait to attack by surprise

Agreed, though, like I said in the other post. To accuse the homeowners of wrongdoing by this act of leaving the window open is crap and I would never convict them.

Emodude

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 7, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Dosn't suprise me at all, people are all crazy,, wouldn't suprise me if the were to file a lawsuit against the guy for shooting their family member. We live in a country that punishes the people that do everything right and let killers and rapist go from prison. There use to be a time when we would hang people at the end of the street for everyone to learn that when you do something wrong you will be punished for it.

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    A lawyer’s fee for this wouldn't be cost effective but -

Would the homeowners have a chance in getting reimbursed for replacing their blood soaked couch, carpet and the shells for the gun used in the incident from the suspect's family?

If so, could they also throw in any repairs from the missed shot, therapy they might need in the future, etc...

Point is -
    There are always going to be a few bad apples from a good tree but when the whole tree is bad, shouldn't it be cut down so it doesn't infect the whole orchard? :n00b:

I know that God does his part with aiming tornadoes at trailer parks but it just doesn't seem to be enough.

In Indiana, small claims court values can go as high as $6000. So sue for $5999 and eliminate the need for a lawyer. :D

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 6, 2012
    Mishawaka
    Kindly and gently explain that the d-bag perp caught a case of lead poisoning. From what I hear, it could be hereditary. (I doubt they'll get the idea though)

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    Sadly I have a feeling the Dillons are about to face a civil suit. Even if it's decided in their favor it will still cost them quite a bit out of pocket.

And thus the importance of the Castle Law for all of us.

brian.derby

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 4, 2012
    Indianapolis, IN
    Hard to believe all the fuss caused by the 'relatives'. It's not like he took a humna life.

Here I would have to disagree. The decision to take a human life, even a BG's life, should never be taken lightly. I speak from military experience here. Besides the legal ramifications, there are mental ramifications one will have to live with for the rest of their lives. I live with that torment to this day, some 25 years after the fact. Do not get me wrong, I will defend myself and other innocents if and when the time comes, but to say a BG is not a human, that is taking it too far. Our Constitution says that all men are CREATED equal, God did not make a mistake. It is the person who chooses to walk a path of wrong. and this human paid the ultimate price for his decision.

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 6, 2012
    Mishawaka
    Here I would have to disagree. The decision to take a human life, even a BG's life, should never be taken lightly. I speak from military experience here. Besides the legal ramifications, there are mental ramifications one will have to live with for the rest of their lives. I live with that torment to this day, some 25 years after the fact. Do not get me wrong, I will defend myself and other innocents if and when the time comes, but to say a BG is not a human, that is taking it too far. Our Constitution says that all men are CREATED equal, God did not make a mistake. It is the person who chooses to walk a path of wrong. and this human paid the ultimate price for his decision.

Haven't been in this situation myself, however, I may be able to rest easy knowing I was able to keep my family safe. Breaking into someone's home (if the someone is armed ??) is not a decision to be taken lightly. I am not going to weigh the ramifications at the time the perp is looking down my barrel. I have already weighed the pros and cons and feel that I am able to live with the outcome of my actions, whatever they may be. That is why I choose to carry as opposed to just own a gun for home protection.

Yes, all men are CREATED equal.. the inequality begins with free will. When someone choosed to play stupid games (breaking into a home) the prizes he wins may be stupid. He might get out of the home alive and with a laptop and big screen, he might not get out alive due to lead poisoning. It's HIS roll of the dice, not mine.

BTW, a sincere thank you for your service :patriot:

brian.derby

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 4, 2012
    Indianapolis, IN
    Mikey, I too have already made that decision in my head many times, and I have no doubt that if the situation were the same with me behind the trigger, the outcome would be the same. I was more referring the the statement that somehow the person shot was not human. I have come to terms with my actions from the military as a necessary part of my duties.

And you are very welcome. the fact that there are people here defending and standing up for the rights I fought, and my brothers still do fight to protect makes me glad I did it. :welcome:

beachhead40

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 30, 2012
    North Of Indy
    If the Criminals Family sues them over the the death of the "Criminal", I would counter sue the Dead Criminal's Family for replacement carpet and couch that the home invader disrespectfully bled on.

Top Bottom