• ...and so much more!
  • Icarry2

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Nov 14, 2010
    Franklin County, VA
    Copyright, Icarry2, WDY Media

I was taken into a small block building where the world outside faded away and I really thought I was in a real hospital, just like before everything fell apart. Nurses, doctors, technicians, all doing what needed to be done.

Kat and Angel both refused to be taken somewhere else but demanded to stay by my side. I explained to Kat that she couldn’t be by my side the whole time. She said until they got me taken care of she wasn’t leaving.

As they admitted me into their triage room Kat and Angel were allowed to stay, Angel sittin in a chair in the corner and Kat right by my side.

Unlike a regular ER my clothes were not cut off, they were removed and put into a bag. Kat was told that they would be cleaned and repaired and returned by the time I needed them.

Once my pants had been taken off I motioned to Kat that maybe Angel shouldn’t be in the room if they had to take much more of my clothes off. I only had one bullet wound in my calf but it could be better if they went outside.

A nurse heard the statement and asked if I wanted to show them to a place they could wait. Kat reluctantly agreed and as we kissed bye Angel came up and hugged me and kissed me on the cheek and said she loved me.

As Kat and Angel were walking out a man walked in and introduced himself as Dr. Long and that someone will come and get her when I am taken care of.

Icarry2

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Nov 14, 2010
    Franklin County, VA

Dr Long looked over my leg and while rattling off medical terms to the nurse looked up at me and asked if I was allergic to anything, I replied penicillin, to which he said good cause we don’t have any of that anyway..

As the doc shook my hand before leaving the room he said I would be fine, it was a through and through and that as long as the bleeding didn’t start up or I got an infection that the wound was easily survivable and that I was lucky it didn’t hit any large artery or vein just some small vessels and meat..

Before he let go of my hand the Doc said welcome to Camp Alamo.

The nurse cleaned and bandaged my wound and instructed me to stay off of it for a few days. She said that I would have to come back to have the dressing changed after I got a shower and every day after for a few days

Just as the Doc is leaving Johnson comes in. They shake hands, trade nods and Johnson walks up to the table and asks if I am about ready to meet the Major?

I asked where are my girls. Johnson said they are being assigned quarters and that I will be taken to them once I get up and around and talk to the Major.

Johnson said they would be shown around, be able to take a shower, get some clean clothes and be fed by the time he got back to them.

I asked Johnson, where are we? Really? Johnson proceeded to explain that we were in Camp Alamo, the last organized stronghold of the 4th Indiana Regulars. He explained that any who had served prior to the chaos were welcome as long as they followed the same code as they did when they served. They would be afforded housing, food and care as if they were still in the service and were only asked to provide their effort and knowledge for the betterment of the camp.

I looked at Johnson and asked him, how long he had been here? He said since four months before the chaos started and that he was one of the Original 12. He leaned over and whispered in my ear, “ I helped start this camp, some of the land was left to him by his great grand father.

I was still feeling the effects of the pain meds the nurse had given me before she started to clean my wound.

As she was applying a final dressing she looked up at Johnson and said he can go, let me find him some pants.

Icarry2

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Nov 14, 2010
    Franklin County, VA

The nurse brought me a pair of scrub pants and explained that they would be pulled out of the laundry and returned to the infirmary when I was done with them.

Johnson helped me sit up and then asked the nurse if I could have a crutch, she nodded and left the room returning with an aluminum crutch. She helped me stand and fit the crutch for my height.

Johnson said well lets go and as we walked out of the room the Nurse handed me a bag with a small pill bottle in it and said take these tonight after chow and in the morning and to come back before lunch to check the wound.

We walked out of the infirmary and Johnson helped me into the same truck they brought us in with. The same guy was driving as before.

This time I sat in the front passenger seat and Johnson climbed in the back. With a tap on the driver seat we took off driving down the street a little and turning North to the end of the row of small houses. At the end of the row there was a larger house with a large circle drive in the front and a 50 foot flag pole in the courtyard flying Old Glory and on each side were shorter poles flying the Indiana State flag and a yellow Don’t Tread On Me flag..

We pulled up out front and a sentry opened the door of the truck and stepped back and saluted. Johnson jumped out of the back and returned the salute. The sentry then stepped back towards the porch and asked who the new meat was. Johnson grabbed the kid by the front of his shirt, turned his fist into a ball and pulled the kid so close to his face he couldn’t help but smell the kids breath. You show some more respect recruit, this man is a decorated war hero, Sergeant Major Marshal and even in his condition could square put his boot up your sit down hole.. Show some respect.

As I walk up to the steps the young recruit snapped to attention and saluted, I half way returned it but I was concentrating on navigating the steps with a crutch while still feeling the effects of the meds.

Icarry2

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Nov 14, 2010
    Franklin County, VA

As I walk in through the front doors I am taken back to a time long before now. My CO wanted an AAR and was not going to wait as the nature of the mission was such that time was of the importance. As the flashback memory shines through my eyes I see striking resemblances to the men who were in the CP on that day long ago.

Men and women working feverishly, desks full of papers and the hurried movements of a well organized chaos..

Through the main room of the house we walked into a back room off to the right side of the main room which in it’s day might have been a study or a library.

Off to the left as I walk through the tall double oak doors is a radio operator listening and tuning a bank of radios with the squelch of side bands and even some morse code being transcribed by a younger boy, probably a recruit or someone’s son.

As I clear the doorway I can see an older gentleman standing over a large hardwood desk with a large floor to ceiling window behind him. As my eyes adjust I see he is looking over some type of map. A man in uniform standing to his left, more then likely a clerk or orderly is standing patiently waiting for a signature or for some sort of affirmation of an order held in his hands.

As I stop to the left of Johnson who stopped short of the desk in the between two high back leather chairs he snapped to attention. The man who must be The “Major” dismissed the clerk and stood nearly at attention.

The Major walked around the desk and extended his hand, Major James Winston Stevens, Commander of the 4th Indiana Regulars, welcome to Camp Alamo. I shook his hand and introduced myself . Good to meet you sir, Sergeant Major Shawn Marshal. As the Major returned to the window side of the desk he asked if we would like a drink, I looked at Johnson who nodded as he said “yes sir, thank you sir.” The Major walked to the right side of the desk to a small table set against the wall and asked “What’s your poison boys?” Again I looked at Johnson who replied “Scotch sir” I spoke up, “make that two sir.”

As the Major set three glasses out he asked “Ice?” Johnson replied “I’ll take mine neat sir.” Although normally neat is how I would drink scotch I paused as the Major turned and looked at me, “Yes sir, Ice Please” having not had any ice or anything colder than stream water for over a month I wanted to just feel the sensation of something cold.

The Major replied, “Ice it is, and one neat” as the clank of ice cubes fell into the glass and the soft glug of the scotch caused the slight rattling of the ice followed by the tink of the crystal lid being placed in the decanter.

As the Major turned with a glass in each hand Johnson stood and took them from him and handed me the glass with ice. The rattle of the ice in the glass felt strange having not had any ice for so long. The Major picked up his glass and returned to the space between his desk and the high back chair pushed back way towards the window as if it were rarely sat in hi hoisted his glass and toasted, “Semper Fi” to which we both replied, “Semper Fi.”

The Major pulled his chair up and sat down. I knew what was coming next..

Icarry2

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Nov 14, 2010
    Franklin County, VA

I spent the better part of an hour explaining to the Major and Johnson what had led us to meeting up with Johnson.

After the second round of scotch the Major asked how my leg was. I explained what the doctor had said and assured him I would be back to 100% as soon as possible.

The Major asked what skills Kat had and how I best thought she could help. I explained that before the event we lived a simple life and that Kat was a school teacher teaching kindergarten at the small school near our home in the small town we lived in.

The Major stood in excitement of this and exclaimed “excellent” we might actually have some children for her to teach and then sat back down and asked in a serious tone if I thought she would be willing to teach the children of the camp. I replied with I will ask her but she loved to teach and it was a big part of her life before the chaos started.

The Major commented, “One more thing and then I will let you go settle in with your family.” He stood and walked around his desk and while sitting down on the edge of his desk in front me asked, “are you willing to stay on and help us or are you planning on heading out once your wound has healed?”

I slowly stood to which the Major also stood up and I extended my hand and replied “I will speak with my wife and see what she thinks but I can promise you I will at least stay long enough to repay the efforts you and your camp have and will show us.”

The major shook my hand and simply said “Fair enough.” And then he walked back around behind his desk and pushed a button on the intercom box on his desk and when the clerk replied said get this man to his family and bring me the afternoon reports.

Icarry2

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Nov 14, 2010
    Franklin County, VA

The clerk came in with the folders placing them on the Major’s desk looked at me and said “this way sir.” I nodded to the Major who had sat back down to go over the reports, looked at Johnson who flipped his head towards the door and we walked back out into the busy room next to the Major’s office.

The clerk called out “Runner” to which a young cadet age teen with her hair pulled up in true military fashion quickly stepped up and snapped to attention awaiting her orders. “Take Mr..” Pausing to wait for me to convey my last name, “Marshal” I replied to which Johnson interrupted “That’s Sergeant Major Marshal Corporal..” and as the clerk repeated my name to the cadet he explained that more than likely I could find my family at the receiving shed or possibly at the mess hall.

The cadet nodded to the Corporal and replied “right this way Sergeant Major.” I turned and looked at Johnson, extending my hand he took it and shook it like a true Marine and simply stated that he would find me later and that we would catch up.

We left the CP and as I slowly navigated the steps Johnson stepped out and told the cadet to take his truck and bring it back, “The Sergeant Major shouldn’t walk too much on that leg.” The cadet turned as if to make sure she heard Johnson correctly to which Johnson replied “You heard me” so the cadet walked over to the truck and opened the passenger door for me.

I was shutting the door as she jumped in the drivers seat and fired up the engine. As she put the truck in gear she turned to me and asked if I was set, I nodded and she slowly turned around the rest of the drive and down the short drive pausing at the end of the drive and then driving down the road back towards the gate we came in and took the first left continuing down the road which was sided by small premade homes and trailers more than likely setup as barracks or family homes for the camps compliment. Once we were a ways down the road the cadet asked permission to speak freely, I nodded, she started into a minute long expression of how she was shocked that Sergeant Johnson had allowed her to use his truck, that no one outside his team drove his truck and or utilized any of his teams allotment.

I looked directly at the cadet, who couldn’t be more than 16 and asked “What’s your name solider?” Her reply, “Cadet Mary Beth Perkins sir” As I started to ask her more we turned left onto a side road, actually more of a dirt path and she explained that I should hold on. As the truck navigated the slightly rough alley like road we turned another left corner around a large group of trees which opened up into a large grass field that was surrounded by what looked like office trailers similar to what you might see on a construction site.

We pulled up in front of a trailer on the left across from the open field where I noticed men and women in make shift uniforms in formation completing drills. It was their parade field, at least as big as a football field and there were more small sheds and buildings off to the right placed up against a rather high hill side.

“Here we go Sergeant Major” and after putting the truck in park she hopped out and came around to my side of the truck and opened my door and reaching a hand to assist my efforts of getting out of the truck.

Once down on the ground and slightly woozy from the meds and the double round of scotch gaining my footing and positioning the crutch below my arm I thanked her for the ride and asked which direction I was to go.

She helped me walk around the truck to the trailer we were parked in front of. “Do you need help with the steps sir?” She asked, I waved my hand in the air saying no thank you and expressing that she had better get Johnson his truck back. “Yes sir, I am sure I will see you again soon” she replied as she excitedly jumped back into the truck and drove off.

Icarry2

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Nov 14, 2010
    Franklin County, VA

Once inside I was greeted by a rather cute looking woman who introduced herself as Corporal Dunter. She explained more of how things worked in the camp, showed me a map of the facilities and referred to a smaller map that she tucked into a small tote. She wrote down my name, the names of my wife and daughter our birthdays, previous address and then asked if we had any provisions. I went through what little I remember Kat and I having in our back packs. She signed a piece of paper that said “Food Voucher” and explained that they rationed some food and some could be purchased with “Camp Credits” which brought up a ton of curiosity. I asked her to explain the credits. She explained that we did not use any sort of money, we worked for credits, the items we needed other than provided could be bought with those credits. As a point she explained that with no form of money the Major thought we would work together more as a family or team and there couldn’t be any problems with stealing or other crooked situations like the world before.

I had to sit down, I was getting really light headed. She said that she would call for a transport and have me taken to where Kat and Angel were. To our temporary housing. She walked over to a small field phone on her desk and after a couple of cranks told whomever on the other line that she needed a transport for one to the temp housing. Answered ok and hung up the handset. She looked at me with a smile and said your ride will be here in 10 minutes.

Icarry2

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Nov 14, 2010
    Franklin County, VA

I was starting to nod off when the Corporal touched me on the shoulder and said my tride was there. She helped me up and to the door of the trailer and down the steps to the waiting golf cart. Once I was seated she told the driver, a boy about 12 or 14 to take me to Temp Housing #9. The boy nodded, checked if I was set and then he took off like a bat out of hell. Luckily I had positioned the crutch as a door bar to keep me from falling out of the cart when he would have dumped me out when he turned on to a small grass path at the end of the road and we turned back onto the main grave road across from the Infirmary. We passed the Infirmary and another building that I noticed said Supply on the front and then Right down a more grass path by the Supply building.

A little ways down the path we slowed and turned left down a path between small houses that looked like the small pond shacks they used to sell at different places around that could be hauled in and dropped by a flat bed trailer or tow truck.

As I looked around I saw that they were number and that some people and children were hanging around these little houses.

We pulled up in front of a small house at the end of the row with #9 painted next to the door. It had one window next to the door, a small porch and Kat was carrying some boxes inside that had been stacked on the porch. Angel was playing under the window on a small bench built into the wall.

As the cart came to a complete stop I struggled to get the crutch out and down to the ground. And just as the end hit the ground Kat came running up to me and asked if I was ok. I said yup, I am just tired. As she helped me to my feet the driver said have a nice day and drove off.

As we walked up the step onto the porch Angel was standing there in front of the door with a worried look on her face asking if I was ok? I struggled to pull her close to me not strong enough to pick her up and hug her and patted her on the head and told her I would be fine and told her I loved her. She looked up at me and with a half excited look on her face simply said “I love you Daddy” and then turned and opened the door and started to tell me about the little house..

Icarry2

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Nov 14, 2010
    Franklin County, VA

We walked through the door as Angel explained that Kat and I would have the bed in the back, that there was a loft up the little ladder to the left that was her room with her own bed and that there was a little window she could sit up in her bed and look out.

I looked around and noticed a small table and four chairs to the left under a window, a small couch and to the right under another window and just past the couch there was a small closet.

To the back there was a curtain which hid the bed Angel spoke of. I looked at Kat and told her I needed to lay down, to rest. As she helped me to the couch she kissed me and said I should take a nap. She said someone was to come by later and go over some more details. I told her I loved her as I sat down, Angel came up to me and gave me a strong hug and then I sat back and drifted off to sleep confident that where we were was safe and that things might just be better off than they had been for the last 3 weeks.

Icarry2

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Nov 14, 2010
    Franklin County, VA

I woke to find Kat sitting at the table with a young man probably in his twenties going over some papers. Judging by the light I could tell it was late afternoon / early evening, I struggled to focus on my watch to see what time it was. As I moved to see my watch the pain of my leg overwhelmed me and I must have grunted as the young man and Kat both turned and looked at me.

Kat said excuse me and got up and brought me a bottle of water. As I took a drink she handed me some pills and said they would help with the pain. A nurse had brought by some meds for me to take while I was asleep. She explained that there was also some antibiotics but I needed to eat some food when I took them. She said dinner was served at 6 o’clock and that if I felt like it I could take a shower before.

I then noticed she had taken one, her damp hair smelled better than I had smelled it in weeks. She was wearing clean clothes that I did not recognize and then explained that her and Angel had been shown where the showers were and the laundry and that they had been given a change of clothes to wear while ours were being washed.

I sat up and swallowed the pills and the young man walked over and stretched out his hand to introduce himself. Hello sir, I am Kyle Dugger, Administrative Liaison. I shook his hand and told him it was nice to meet him and thanksed him for everything. He replied, I will express your gratitude to the camp.

Kyle asked if I would like to freshen up before dinner, I took a joking sniff lifting my left arm and said I had better or no one will sit next to me to eat. I went to stand up and the pain of my leg made me slow my stand. Kyle held my arm as Angel brought me the crutch. “Here Daddy” she said as she handed it to me. “There is a cart outside, I can take you to the shower house and stop by the laundry while you get cleaned up and get you a change of clothes.

“Can I shave?” I asked, Kyle nodded as we made it to the door of the cabin and said if I wanted to he thought there would still be someone in supply to get a toiletry kit. Kat interrupted saying that there was one in the stuff they were given earlier and went to get it. She also brought out a set of BDU pants and Green T-shirt. “These should fit, they were left with the other stuff.”

“Well that will save a trip to both Supply and the Laundry sir. As we got in the cart Kat blew me a kiss and Angel waved then blew a kiss like her mother. I smiled as I was asked if I was set and I nodded and we drove off.

We turned and went around the cabin at the end of the path across from ours, it was marked #5 and there was a little boy playing with toys on the porch who stood up and saluted as we passed. I attempted to returned one and the boy probably 6 smiled as his hand came back down.

We turned left again onto the main gravel road and then right towards the CP and stopped in front of the building on the corner. It said Showers above the door with a sign pointing right for men and left for women. As the cart stopped a young cadet just coming out of the shower offered to help me. Not being sure if I was strong enough to get as clean as I wanted I allowed him to assist.

Icarry2

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Nov 14, 2010
    Franklin County, VA

As reluctant as I was, I would not have been able to get cleaned up without the help of the young cadet. As He brought me a towel and showed me where the soap and shampoo was he said that the back shower is larger, closer to the hot water heater and had a bench I could sit on where the water could still reach.

He helped me to the shower, pulled the curtain back and started the water. He sat my clothes on the little bench right outside the curtain and asked if I would need any further assistance.

Being a proud man I told him I could manage and that he should not worry I could take care of it. He said alrighty then and turned and walked away. Kyle stuck his head around the corner and said he would wait outside but if I needed any assistance to just holler for him. I thanked him and began to take off the dirty clothes I had had on for days.

Icarry2

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Nov 14, 2010
    Franklin County, VA
    Sorry for the delay in the updates, I have been swamped and not had time for any writing, I will try to get an update posted soon. Sorry for those following the story but life has interupted..

TJ

Top Bottom