• ...and so much more!
  • Icarry2

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Nov 14, 2010
    Franklin County, VA
    Copyright, Icarry2, WDY Media

It was difficult but I managed to get a shower and shave at one of the sinks. It definitely felt good to have clean clothes on over clean skin, run my fingers through clean hair and Kat will love to touch a clean shaven face..

I fumbled around gathering up the dirty clothes and worked my way to the door. Outside Kyle was talking to some younger girls who seemed pretty interested in him. I cleared my through and Kyle jumped up, excused himself from the company of the girls and hurried over to help me into the cart putting my dirty clothes in a laundry bag on the back of the cart before jumping in.

Hungry sir? He asked, To which I nodded. OK then he answered, off to the chow hall. Tonight we are having spaghetti and meat balls with fresh baked bread and I think some corn.

As we pulled up to the chow hall people were already inside eating but sitting outside on a little bench were Kat and Angel patiently waiting for me.

I thanked Kyle to which he replied, just doing my job sir, and welcome to Camp Alamo, I will be around tomorrow to make sure your settled in and know everything you need to get by.

Kat said thank you as she helped me out of the cart and Angel said Goodbye Mr. Dugger and as he said good night he drove off.

As Kat helped and Angel by our side I walked onto the chow hall wondering what was in store for us now..

Icarry2

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Nov 14, 2010
    Franklin County, VA

As we walked into the hall of probably 30 picnic style tables the smell of spaghetti and bread made my mouth water. It had been days since we had a real good and filling hot meal.

Adult’s and children’s voices made up the low rumble of conversations when we walked in but quickly the air became silent as people noticed us walk in. We were late, we were new and I was injured.

No more than I had cleared the door Kat pointed out that everyone was quiet and staring at us. Angel being as social as she is simply waved at everyone and said “HI” to which the group giggled and as if prompted by practice replied “Hello, welcome to Camp Alamo” which frightened Angel and she quickly hid behind my good leg.

As I could see Kat’s face turning red with embarrassment I cleared my through and replied..

“Hello, my name is Shawn Marshal, this is my wife Kathrine and our daughter Angel. Please don’t let us interrupt your dinner and thank you all for all of the assistance and the warm welcome, we are glad to be here, it’s much better than out there on the road.”

The crowd of people started to clap, whoop and holler as quieting sound of a large graduation ring was thumped on a hardwood table much like a gavel in a courtroom. It was coming from the Naval Academy ring on Major Stevens’ right hand and the group went silent in a second..

As the Major stood up, wiped off his mouth and cleared his throat you could have heard a pin drop. Even the mess staff stopped what they were doing and took notice filing out of the kitchen at the back of the long hall.

“Folks, allow me to introduce Sergeant Major Shawn Marshal, his wife Kathrine and their daughter Angel. They were found out on the old highway today and are welcome here with full rights and privileges. Make them feel welcome.”

As the Major sat back down with a slight nod in our direction Angel waved at him and he smiled back.

We worked our way to an open area and I sat down as Kat looked around to see how she could get us some food. “Sit down next to Daddy” she said to Angel as the low rumble of conversations resumed. No more than she had gotten Angel situated a mess steward in an apron approached Kat and directed her to the tray and food pickup areas and explained how things worked. A few minutes later they returned with three trays full of food, still hot and steaming. As the tray was placed in front of Angel she sat there patiently waiting with her hands held out to her sides..

Kat thanked the steward and sat down taking Angels hand as I took the other. Angel looked at Kat as she sat down across from us and I then bowed her head. Kat softly said grace. “thank you lord for this food, for these people, for this place and for my husband who has done so much to keep us safe, in your name we pray, AMEN” then as we let go of each other hands Angel looked at me and said “I love you Daddy” then looked at Kat and said I love you Mommy” then stared at her food with delight.

Kat looked at me, smiled with a tear in her eye and then looked over to see Angel waiting to be told she could eat. Angel said I don’t know what to try first, I like it all Mommy. Eventually Angel decided to take a spoon full of corn and as she sat there chewing she had a smile from ear to ear.

Icarry2

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Nov 14, 2010
    Franklin County, VA

After dinner Kat noticed how tired Shawn looked, put her hand on his and asked if he was ready to go home. Shawn smiled and nodded. Angel asked if she could have dessert, she had spied a younger child with a cup of jello. Kat looked at Shawn who motioned with his head to take her and get her a cup. Shawn smiled, kissed Angel on the head and told her he loved her. She stood up, hugged her daddy and replied the same.

With their bellys full, the trays put up and the three of them on their way out the door of the mess hall Corporal Dunter was walking in as if she was in a hurry almost taking Shawn and Angel out as she rounded the corner. Nearly as shocked as the three of them were she fumbled to apologize to them, offered a quick hello and then ran off towards the kitchen stating she was on clean up detail.

Shawn explained to the girls on the short walk back to their cabin who the young corporal was and how she knew their name.

Icarry2

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Nov 14, 2010
    Franklin County, VA

Back at the cabin Shawn was exhausted, in pain and needing to rest. Angel crawled up on her daddy’s chest as if she were still an infant and they both fell asleep laying on the couch.

Kat covered them up and went through all of the gear that they had been carrying and sorting through what was brought to them.

After about an hour she woke Shawn up and picked Angel up indicating that whe would let her sleep on the couch that they should go lay down in bed so that he could get some real rest.

As he exhaled deeply Kat put her head on Shawn’s chest curled up and after exchanging I love you’s they drifted off to sleep.

Last edited:

Icarry2

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Nov 14, 2010
    Franklin County, VA

Kat woke to find herself laying in bed alone reaching for Shawn. Opening her eyes she quickly realized it was light. She jumped out of bed and went straight to the couch where she found the two loves of her life curled up sleeping.

She noticed the dressing on Shawn’s leg had began to leach though a dark yellow colored spot. In all of the moving around he may have busted a stitch she thought to herself. She calmly woke him and pointed at the leg just about the time Shawn realized it hurt..

I rolled off the couch and onto the floor in silent agony trying not to wake Angel. The pain eased with the drop in my blood pres0sure but dang my leg hurt.. Throbbed and with almost any movement or pressure near the wounds it would send bolts of pain up my leg. I was in no shape for a run..

Kat brought me a bottle of water from the small frig in the corner and handed me a pain pill. I swallowed the pill and drank half the bottle of water to help keep my fluid intake up to help my body replenish the blood that I lost.

A quiet knock at the door sent Kat reaching for her pack out of instinct to retrieve her pistol. I waved her off and motioned for her to go check the door as I sat up onto the free end of the couch.

As Kat peeked through the thin curtains on the door she whispered “It’s the doctor” as she looked at me as if to check for the go ahead to open the door, I nodded.

She opened the door and the doctor quietly spoke “Good Morning, sorry to bother you so early but I wanted to check on Shawn before I went to the clinic”

Kat motioned him in shushing him with the standard finger over the mouth sign to which I giggled at. She walked over and picked Angel up and took her into the bedroom.

The doctor asked me to lay back and to let him have a look at my leg. He commented on the spot that Kat had noticed and asked her to bring him the medical supplies that he had sent over.

From the box he retrieved a pair of scissors and cut off the soiled dressing. He retrieved a bottle and some gauge and said for me to hold still he was going to clean the wound and that some pressure will need to be applied to the area warning me that it was going to hurt.

After gritting my teeth for a few minutes it was done. He instructed me and Kat to leave the wounds open to the air unless I was going to leave the cabin but that he recommended me to stay put for at least a few days and not do any heavy lifting..

He repeated the same instruction that he had told me before once more just so that Kat could hear them. I am sure he knew that I wouldn’t want to stay put for a few days let alone one but that Kat would keep me in line so to speak and following his orders.

He asked Kat if she knew how to dress the wounds, she answered that she did. He asked me to come by and see him in two days but not before unless the wounds continued to seep and or pain or other issued came up and explained that everything looked to be healing nicely and that his worry of an infection might be over reacting and that things will heal perfectly.

Angel walked in all sleepy eyed and almost grumpy and realized that she could see the spots on my legs that the doctor fixed up, it wasn’t covered by the wrap. “oh Daddy does your leg hurt?” to which I replied not much sweetie but a little.

Angel realized there was a stranger in the room and she quickly scooted over behind Kat’s leg peeking out and eye balling the doctor. Kat introduced Angel to the doctor and he knelt down pulling off his glove and extending his hand. She hid behind Kats leg being too early to be cheerful and outgoing.

The doctor excused himself, said goodbye to Angel, shook Kats and my hands and let himself out.

dontcha

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 10, 2013
    United States
    and DUH, I'm out of ammo, because I used full auto. Duh, walking around in daylight, out in the open. Duh, now I die of the infection from the bullet wound, or at least, I'm out of commission for a long time, and then something else kills me. Duh, all the noise called in 6 more enemies.

Icarry2

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Nov 14, 2010
    Franklin County, VA
    Well I have come to a point in this story where I am not sure which way I want to take it. Life has interupted some, I have been writing another story that I might post but for now I am going to table this story for a bit, I might get back to it sometime this winter when I don't have anything else to do.

Sorry to dissapoint anyone, just need to be sure how I want to proceed with this story.

TJ

dontcha

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 10, 2013
    United States
    If you want this character to come across as someone who knows what he's doing in a gunfight, you'll have to change quite a bit of it. Sorry. For a start, put a sound suppressor on the gun, and forget about the full-auto part. That has zero application for shtf, cause it's a huge waste of ammo that no one will be able to afford. It would be best to put Norton 'earvalve" earplugs in his pocket, in a clamshell plastic case, lanyarded to his belt, just above the pocket. Then he can get the plugs into his ears in sub 5 seconds, while behind cover. While the "can' on your gun helps with YOUR muzzleblasts, it doesn't reduce the flinching that is common when you are facing enemy fire. Earplugs can help with that, and the "valve" type let you hear 'normal" sounds, unlike regular earplugs. Read UNINTENDED CONSEQUENCES, by John Ross

dontcha

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 10, 2013
    United States
    , leave out the self commentary, or most of it, and have him stay well back from cover, so that he can have his rifle leveled when he leans out to look/fire. He should stay exposed no more than at most 1.5 seconds and never "peek" out at the same place 2x in a row. If the enemy has shotguns and is within effective range of pellets, then he needs to not be exposed more than 1.0 second at a time, too.

Raitekk

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   1
    Mar 9, 2013
    Northwest Indiana
    If you want this character to come across as someone who knows what he's doing in a gunfight, you'll have to change quite a bit of it. Sorry. For a start, put a sound suppressor on the gun, and forget about the full-auto part. That has zero application for shtf, cause it's a huge waste of ammo that no one will be able to afford. It would be best to put Norton 'earvalve" earplugs in his pocket, in a clamshell plastic case, lanyarded to his belt, just above the pocket. Then he can get the plugs into his ears in sub 5 seconds, while behind cover. While the "can' on your gun helps with YOUR muzzleblasts, it doesn't reduce the flinching that is common when you are facing enemy fire. Earplugs can help with that, and the "valve" type let you hear 'normal" sounds, unlike regular earplugs. Read UNINTENDED CONSEQUENCES, by John Ross

I am glad that you are a tactical operator operating in tactical operations tactically,
    but most, if not, all of the things you just criticized/said about his story are either irrelevant,
    or have no important impact on the story.

The whole point of this story, is that IT IS A STORY, not an instruction manual of tactical behavior based on random opinion.

, leave out the self commentary, or most of it, and have him stay well back from cover, so that he can have his rifle leveled when he leans out to look/fire. He should stay exposed no more than at most 1.5 seconds and never "peek" out at the same place 2x in a row. If the enemy has shotguns and is within effective range of pellets, then he needs to not be exposed more than 1.0 second at a time, too.

I mean really? Who would include this much irrelevant detail in a fictional story? IT IS A STORY!

I would facepalm right now, but it may not be tactical enough for you, so you get a TACTICAL FACEPALM!

tactical-facepalm.jpg

Last edited:

Raitekk

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   1
    Mar 9, 2013
    Northwest Indiana
    Well I have come to a point in this story where I am not sure which way I want to take it. Life has interupted some, I have been writing another story that I might post but for now I am going to table this story for a bit, I might get back to it sometime this winter when I don't have anything else to do.

Sorry to dissapoint anyone, just need to be sure how I want to proceed with this story.

TJ

Take your time man! I was just curious to see what the status was.
    This is a great story, and I look forward to reading the upcoming parts that you add.

Top Bottom