• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    Is there really a difference between the 2? Other than the "style", I can't see what the difference is.

Obviously, shooting glasses are designed to be used for shooting, and safety glasses are designed to be used for, well, safety. But, can the shooting glasses deflect an object "better" than safety glasses?

One reason I'm curious is that I'm still on the lookout for good shooting glasses that's in my price range. I just have a cheap pair that I use now, but they are ugly and they pinch a little. But, thru work, I found a VERY nice pair of safety glasses. These things are very cool! :cool:

I had plan to order them to be used just for shooting, but the above questions came to mind.

sharpetop

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 12, 2008
    I use safety glasses that look like stylish sunglasses, only not as dark. The best part is they were free, issued to me by a company I worked for.

OEF5

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 15, 2010
    Mooresville
    If I remember correctly Safety Glasses of any kind have a certain set of standards for shatter and breakage. I'm not sure there is much difference in that regard for the two.

the big question is...The purpose of the eye pro is to protect your eyes from possible bullet fragmintation, do the glasses you wear on the range do that? Do you trust your eye sight to them? If you are good with them, then it doesn't matter how they look, or how much they cost.

The ones I wear, I very much so trust them, but then they are not the cheap kind lol, mine are perscription Oakley glasses, and yes they withstand a shotgun blast at some unknown distance lol.

Long read but it breaks it out by the ANSI standards.

http://www.allaboutvision.com/safety/safety-glasses.htm

This is all just my :twocents:

Last edited:

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    Granted, not everyone can afford to spend $100 some dollars on a pair of Oakleys. It sucks :(

But how does the breakage point differ between safety and shooting glasses?

If I remember correctly Safety Glasses of any kind have a certain set of standards for shatter and breakage. I'm not sure there is much difference in that regard for the two.

the big question is...The purpose of the eye pro is to protect your eyes from possible bullet fragmintation, do the glasses you wear on the range do that? Do you trust your eye sight to them? If you are good with them, then it doesn't matter how they look, or how much they cost.

The ones I wear, I very much so trust them, but then they are not the cheap kind lol, mine are perscription Oakley glasses, and yes they withstand a shotgun blast at some unknown distance lol.

railbug

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2010
    Noblesville
    I worked for a company that we had to have safty glasses that had the Z 87.1 stamped on them I know Oakleys do not have the numbers.

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    All shooting glasses are safety glasses, but not all safety glasses are shooting glasses. ;)

Match the glasses with your intended purpose.

If the "Safety glasses" and the "Shooting glasses" are manufactured and tested to the same ANSI standard, then there is no difference.

This. The ANSI standard is how you determine which safety glasses fall into the "shooting glasses" category.

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    Z 87.1... is the standard for shooting glasses I believe. I took the OSHA 30 hour safety training class and the z87.1 was rated the highest under goggles and chemicals. I get to use Powder actuated tools at times and they state USE Z.87.1 glass at a minimum. I normally have to wear a face shield also. Figure with the powder nail-er I am basically shooting a 22 short to lr into concrete/steel at point blank range with a hardened steel projectile.

Look around and you can find them a far prices. Yellow lens, light tint, dark tint, clear, bi-focal with 1.5 to 3.75 magnification ect.

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    FWIW, most of the safety glasses I've seen at Lowe's (for example) say they're Z87.1-2003 compliant.

tyler34

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    bloomington
    go look at your local surplus store, you may get lucky. I found a pair of revision tinted shooting glasses with clear interchangeable ones for $20. they are the ones you see in all the magazines with the buckshot and whatnot in them.

whackmaster66

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 3, 2011
    Brownsburg
    I don't think there is a difference between the two... I have a pair of safety glasses that i have bought off of my tool guy and that have Mossy oak frames with yellow lenses. They seem to be doing the job for me...

ADT knights

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Mar 28, 2009
    Hendricks County

Long read but it breaks it out by the ANSI standards.

Safety Glasses and Protective Eyewear - AllAboutVision.com

What frame/lenses do you have. I love my Oakleys and could use some new lenses for them if I can buy just the lens.

Superj

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 5, 2011
    Florida
    I use and love my ESS Ice glasses. Made with a polycarbonate lens that will stop birdshot at 35 feet.

ESS Goggles - Protective Goggles - Ballistic Goggles - Eye Protection

Look them up on YouTube for demos of the lenses bring shot with a .22 and a shotgun. Also saw videos of the lenses being run over by a car without breaking.

The price is not all that bad either. I also use the prescription inserts which is an added benefit.

Bapak2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 17, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    I purchased a pair of Prowler Shooting Glasses, with three sets of lenses (clear, orang, dark) for $17.95 + $10.77 s/h, with a $7.18 "Going out of Business" discount from Green Mountain Tactical last June. These are high quality polycarbonate lens. I was able to get good eye protection for a very reasonable price—and they look good, too.

In my view (pun intended), I carry the weapon to protect my life. I invested $500+ to get a piece I know will go bang first time, every time. My eyesight is only slightly less valuable to me than my life. If I will spend $500+ for the gun, I will not hesitate to spend good money to protect my eyes.

Of course, If I can get a quality G26 for $300, I will jump on it. If I can get quality eye protection for $20, I will jump on it. But I will protect my eyes like I do my life.

Get yourself some quality eye protection. You can't fight, or protect your wife and kids, if you can't see—even if the force IS with you. :starwars:

Top Bottom