• ...and so much more!
  • lovemywoods

Geek in Paradise!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Mar 26, 2008
    Brown County
    So here is what I put together today. I did it this way because I can break it down and fit it into the hatchback!

2v184na.jpg

It looks like a good solution. :yesway:

One minor adjustment I would recommend. Attach the chain on the back side of the target. It minimizes the amount of splatter the chain is subject to and gives the plates a small natural tilt downward which helps direct the splatter in that direction.

Last edited:

Cru

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 4, 2010
    Noblesville, IN
    It looks like a good solution. :yesway:

One minor adjustment I would recommend. Attach the chain on the back side of the target. It minimizes the about of splatter the chain is subject to and gives the plates a small natural tilt downward which helps direct the splatter in that direction.

Thanks! I'll do that!

sj kahr k40

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 3, 2009
    So here is what I put together today. I did it this way because I can break it down and fit it into the hatchback!

2v184na.jpg

Now set it up in the backyard and go out with muffs on and see if your neighbors call the cops:laugh:

^purple

kimmi

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 8, 2010
    Now set it up in the backyard and go out with muffs on and see if your neighbors call the cops:laugh:

^purple

LOL! We already had one neighbor ask us why we built a midget swing set!

BTW, :+1: to Bobcat Steel (a.k.a. ZbornacSVT) for awesome customer service!!
    We were at Lowe's today, and didn't think to bring the small target with us, so we had no idea what size bolts or anything to get for the set-up. I called him, left a message, and within 5 minutes, he called me back and was happy to help me pick out the right hardware. :yesway:

sj kahr k40

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 3, 2009
    LOL! We already had one neighbor ask us why we built a midget swing set!

BTW, :+1: to Bobcat Steel (a.k.a. ZbornacSVT) for awesome customer service!!
    We were at Lowe's today, and didn't think to bring the small target with us, so we had no idea what size bolts or anything to get for the set-up. I called him, left a message, and within 5 minutes, he called me back and was happy to help me pick out the right hardware. :yesway:

It's a great looking set up, hope to have the funds in a few months to get some steel

LawDog76

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 31, 2010
    Brownsburg
    I had heard about people shooting at steel targets, and how much fun it is, and I had "watched" at Friday night steel at MCFG last month, but I had never shot at steel targets myself until last Saturday.

I only have one thing to say.
    Shooting at steel is FUN!!

For those of you who haven't tried it, TRY IT! It makes shooting at paper targets seem... well I don't have a good analogy, but it hard to go back to it. My wife had never even seen anyone shoot at steel targets until last weekend as well and she was plinking them with her .22 rifle and she said we had to get some.

e7y0ax.jpg

:D:D:D

This summer, when I was hired on down here in Indy, was the first time I have ever shot at a steel targets. There's just something about that "conformation gong" when you hit the target that makes it even more fun to shot.

IndySSD

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 14, 2010
    Wherever I can CC le
    Previously mentioned stands
    Space necessary for 5 stands
    picture.php

Base assembled
    picture.php

Hanger
    picture.php

A single stand
    picture.php

An array
    picture.php

Those are some heavy duty stands...... do you use those for rifle calibers or just pistols and PCRs?

I'm also curious about ricochet potential since they aren't free swinging to divert the bullets downwards have you had any ricochet issues with those types of stands?

ZbornacSVT

Owner at Bobcat Armament
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 15, 2009
    Shelbyville
    Those are a similar concept to what I will be coming out with.

As long as you can carry 750fps to the target, you will get fragmentation with lead core. The forward angle you see people use is to keep the splatter in the ground.

IndySSD

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 14, 2010
    Wherever I can CC le
    Those are a similar concept to what I will be coming out with.

As long as you can carry 750fps to the target, you will get fragmentation with lead core. The forward angle you see people use is to keep the splatter in the ground.

I guess I didn't notice a forward angle on these. Makes sense though if the stands are angled.

ZbornacSVT

Owner at Bobcat Armament
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 15, 2009
    Shelbyville
    I guess I didn't notice a forward angle on these. Makes sense though if the stands are angled.

I do not think I made my point clear. You do not need an angle. The angle helps for longevity of the target due to less heat from impact, and also to minimize the return splatter.

Litlratt

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 17, 2009
    Terre Haute
    Those are some heavy duty stands...... do you use those for rifle calibers or just pistols and PCRs?

I'm also curious about ricochet potential since they aren't free swinging to divert the bullets downwards have you had any ricochet issues with those types of stands?
    They were designed as a practice set for Steel Challenge shooting. They have been shot with rifles at distance with no ill effect.
    Actually , the targets are free swinging and "ring" well when shot. An angle isn't necessary when shot with the proper ammo.

brotherbill3

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 10, 2010
    Hamilton Co.

^purple

VERY VERY NICE ... BUT

NO NO NO ... you need to move to the FRONT YARD ... so the neighbor can :ar15:from the upstairs window ... :D ... then the whole neighborhood can call the N.P.D.

just a thought for those w/ more experience ... (I've not done this but ... the engineer in me is thinking features / options here)
    ... what about
    1. using a couple of survey stakes (1" x 1/2" x 36" - cheaper & more disposable) to 'block' the bottom edge 'back' to add a little bit more downward angle (just don't shoot the stake).
    2. set a 3/8" or so piece of cheap ply on inside of the legs to save them from splatter ...

perhaps this is not worth the extra $ and time to setup?

Cru

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 4, 2010
    Noblesville, IN
    Awesome. :rockwoot:

Keep us posted on your chain budget. :D

$39 invested in chain so far. It's pretty heavy chain... we'll see how it goes. :dunno:

I figure with just me and our small group of people we shoot with, it should hold up fine. How well it will hold up to a PW shoot... who knows.

Cru

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 4, 2010
    Noblesville, IN
    What size bolts and chain did you use? I'm getting a 66% Friday night, and want to start building a stand soon as I can

I THINK they were 1/2" bolts. We got whatever it was that Kindell recommended, so if you ask him, he'll tell you the same thing he told us I'm sure. It was actually pretty cool. Kimmi called him from Lowe's, left a voice mail, and he called back within 5 minutes. Good customer service!

Has anyone tried these with a hi-po rifle such a 22-250? Wondering how they would hold up?

I shot mine with .223 the other day. I'll go outside and take a picture to show what it did to the target (not much.)

.22LR was just basically taking the paint off and leaving lead residue on the target. .223 left a LITTLE bit of a nick, but it's pretty hard to tell the difference between the two calibers.

Top Bottom