• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • loony1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 17, 2010
    Southside Indy
    i don't buy my guns from don's, but why all the hate? Everytime there is a shooting at his range it always is considered "accidental", so why is he at fault for haveing 1 of only 2 indoor ranges currently running for us civilians?:dunno: Why im at it, why don't all of you who have bought guns from him "step up", or if you haven't shut the fu** up please! That's like saying "Mc'donald's serves bad food". but i haven't ever eaten there.:cool: CAPITALISM!

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    i don't buy my guns from don's, but why all the hate? Everytime there is a shooting at his range it always is considered "accidental", so why is he at fault for haveing 1 of only 2 indoor ranges currently running for us civilians?:dunno: Why im at it, why don't all of you who have bought guns from him "step up", or if you haven't shut the fu** up please! That's like saying "Mc'donald's serves bad food". but i haven't ever eaten there.:cool: CAPITALISM!

You forgot all the purple.

Capitalism - yes good.

Ol' Don make his living off the stupidity of his clientele.
    Moreover he is not a friend to the second amendment no matter what he says.
    He has put on publicity stunts to the tune of crushing or cutting up "evil assault weapons"

:rolleyes: :n00b:

Cru

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 4, 2010
    Noblesville, IN
    Why im at it, why don't all of you who have bought guns from him "step up", or if you haven't shut the fu** up please! That's like saying "Mc'donald's serves bad food". but i haven't ever eaten there.:cool: CAPITALISM!

I think your analogy is slightly off...

Nobody's saying that the products he sells are bad, just that his prices are ridiculously high. I'll agree that it's nice to have an indoor range, but the crowd that is attracted to that place are generally not very knowledgable in gun safety. Just about anybody that does any research will figure out they can get the same weapon for much less elsewhere, so if they still buy from there, it's probably because they don't know any better and just saw a Don's commercial.

I'll give a couple of the guys that work there some credit, I have seen them try to educate some people that knew NOTHING. One guy was looking at a handgun, obviously had no idea what he was doing, racked the slide with his finger ON THE TRIGGER. The sales guy kept trying to correct him.

I don't feel too safe in his range due to all of the above even though it is indoors and I can shoot my AR there.

SavageEagle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008

This post down here.....V

I think your analogy is slightly off...

Nobody's saying that the products he sells are bad, just that his prices are ridiculously high. I'll agree that it's nice to have an indoor range, but the crowd that is attracted to that place are generally not very knowledgable in gun safety. Just about anybody that does any research will figure out they can get the same weapon for much less elsewhere, so if they still buy from there, it's probably because they don't know any better and just saw a Don's commercial.

I'll give a couple of the guys that work there some credit, I have seen them try to educate some people that knew NOTHING. One guy was looking at a handgun, obviously had no idea what he was doing, racked the slide with his finger ON THE TRIGGER. The sales guy kept trying to correct him.

I don't feel too safe in his range due to all of the above even though it is indoors and I can shoot my AR there.

The people in and out of that place, from both times I've been there are, well, scum. Gang tats, signs, clothes, both times. I watched some guy sweep the entire store one day and started pointing at stuff on the wall going BANG BANG BANG while pushing the gun forward with each BANG. I watched some guy point at a gun to his "girl" and say that one right in front of the guy behind the counter and his "girl" got the check, not him. The whole process she never touched the gun.

HELLO!

Both times I went in I only went to use the range to kill some time. Never again. Besides the stupid high prices, the stupid high people in there aren't worth the hassle.

Sell to make money, but do so with some morals.

loony1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 17, 2010
    Southside Indy
    I knew my comments would cause a few to go off, and they should. But everyone here is saying the same thing, his, "clientele", but that's not his fault.......entirely. When i was growing up, my family owned the restaurant next to his north store (80's-90'ish), however i always ended up shooting at his south store as i lived south (80's-90ish). Don was alway's a pleasant to see at the stores, he treated anyone he knew as a friend, and his north and south ranges rocked!:rockwoot:(lucky greenwood po'po'):):
    Anyway's w/out him telling it to my face, he sold the 2 least profitable stores due to the upcoming legislation, (94 ban's) and future president (clinton for 8 sad years) Sooo, as i don't agree with his prices or ever shoot in his range on Lafayette, i don't blame him. However, I do respect him as a true American, capitalist, and one that does stand up for his 2nd ammendment rights, and remember this is in front of his EXPENSIVE home , that nooooo INGOER's helped to purchase.:rolleyes:
    http://www.ammoland.com/uploads/NewsImages/Dons-Rock.jpg

Last edited:

96firephoenix

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 15, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    I dunno, I met Don when I was in the Lafayette scare location, and he was quite amiable and pleasant. his laugh was annoying and his prices were too high, and I"ve heard about shady business dealings from him...

the main reason I will never buy a gun from DG is that their prices are too high.

SavageEagle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    I knew my comments would cause a few to go off, and they should. But everyone here is saying the same thing, his, "clientele", but that's not his fault.......entirely. When i was growing up, my family owned the restaurant next to his north store (80's-90'ish), however i always ended up shooting at his south store as i lived south (80's-90ish). Don was alway's a pleasant to see at the stores, he treated anyone he knew as a friend, and his north and south ranges rocked!:rockwoot:(lucky greenwood po'po'):):
    Anyway's w/out him telling it to my face, he sold the 2 least profitable stores due to the upcoming legislation, (94 ban's) and future president (clinton for 8 sad years) Sooo, as i don't agree with his prices or ever shoot in his range on Lafayette, i don't blame him. However, I do respect him as a true American, capitalist, and one that does stand up for his 2nd ammendment rights, and remember this is in front of his EXPENSIVE home , that nooooo INGOER's helped to purchase.:rolleyes:
    http://www.ammoland.com/uploads/NewsImages/Dons-Rock.jpg

Hey, I wasn't going off about it. I'm just saying how shady he is and how he doesn't care WHO he sells to as long as he makes that money. What he does is akin to a weapon company selling to terrorists. Just on a smaller scale.

Disposable Heart

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.6%
    246   1   1
    Apr 18, 2008
    Greenfield, IN
    loony1, you understand that in pretty much any and every news conference he has attended or was interviewed in he espoused the benefits of an Assault Weapons ban right? Despite his rock and "American" views, he is anti-gun, its all an image thing, a farce.

At Eagle Creek, we get trickle overs from Don's, generally when his range is full or closed. "yo man, can I just shoot this thurdae off, dont wanna pay or nutin' " when they come waltzing up with a Saiga. Oh, and my fav: A group of youths come sauntering up, I have to tell them they cannot shoot their Saiga here, plus the range is a pay range, not free. Meanwhile, one in a wheel chair (must have been fresh from the "battlefield"), was going up and down our line, bumping into people and asking them if they had "fou-fou mag" ammo they wanted to sell him. They then began to question why a guy with a .22 could shoot there, but they could not shoot their .223. What a day. The entire time, they were argueing with me, themselves and debating whether or not to go back to Don's. They were VERY loud, obtrusive and got in my face when they could not shoot their rifle. The entire time I was thinking "put two into the guy with the Sagia before he can put the mag in, then two into the guy with the draw string bag that had their "handgun" ". What a terrible day. VERY offensive to our customers (not race, not economic class, no, their behavior and attitude).

We regularly get boxes of ammo from Don's that show up in our trash there. We are shocked at $50 9mm FMJ (but then again, the .45 we have seen was also $50 for 50 FMJ). High pricing? Heck yes. But for all that money, I have yet to see 'ol Don do ANYTHING to promote the 2nd that was not a lie or taciturn to what he really thinks.

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    ......... However, I do respect him as a true American, capitalist, and one that does stand up for his 2nd ammendment rights, and remember this is in front of his EXPENSIVE home , that nooooo INGOER's helped to purchase.:rolleyes:

Not "going off" just trying to correct a fallacy.

True Americans don't sell out the constitution to make money.

Bendrx

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 3, 2009
    East Indy.
    I've talked with Don numerous times. I worked at the Kinkos by his store. As a person, he's very friendly and polite, even enjoyable to talk to. That doesn't make him a good person, or his business good.

Don’s Guns and Galleries, Inc., Indianapolis, Indiana - 431 Crime Guns
    Don's Guns named among top five dealers selling guns to criminals - 13 WTHR

So between the link above, and the fact that you can get the worst condition guns for the price of a NIB if you're lucky - Or you can get a kinda beat up gun for well above new prices. Had a buddy looking for a G19 - Told him to call around, but don't go to Don's. So he goes to Dons, I think 700 for a G19 that he described as "looking like it was drug behind a car". There was a decent used G19 with laser grips, may have been CTs but he didn't know, for 999.99. Absurd. I"ve got another buddy with a Glock Somthing and he bought night sights he wanted to have installed. I happened to call him while he was headed there, told him not to go. He went and then called me back. Said they didn't have the right tool, but was going to just drift out the sights with a screw driver. I don't know Glocks, but I bet that set screw they didn't have the right bit for was supposed to be loosened prior to being drifted out. One of the guys there claims to be the guy in a target. Will I would happily shoot a picture of him, the target does NOT look like him. That's petty, but that's the point. I have and will use his range, I'm always happy when it's vacant when I show up. A buddy wanted to rent some .45s to try out and to try out mine. He asked about compacts, and they said they had a XD. So we show up and they don't have any XDs or .45 compacts and he ended up renting a M&P 45.

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    I've talked with Don numerous times. I worked at the Kinkos by his store. As a person, he's very friendly and polite, even enjoyable to talk to. That doesn't make him a good person, or his business good.

Don’s Guns and Galleries, Inc., Indianapolis, Indiana - 431 Crime Guns
    Don's Guns named among top five dealers selling guns to criminals - 13 WTHR

So between the link above, and the fact that you can get the worst condition guns for the price of a NIB if you're lucky - Or you can get a kinda beat up gun for well above new prices. Had a buddy looking for a G19 - Told him to call around, but don't go to Don's. So he goes to Dons, I think 700 for a G19 that he described as "looking like it was drug behind a car". There was a decent used G19 with laser grips, may have been CTs but he didn't know, for 999.99. Absurd. I"ve got another buddy with a Glock Somthing and he bought night sights he wanted to have installed. I happened to call him while he was headed there, told him not to go. He went and then called me back. Said they didn't have the right tool, but was going to just drift out the sights with a screw driver. I don't know Glocks, but I bet that set screw they didn't have the right bit for was supposed to be loosened prior to being drifted out. One of the guys there claims to be the guy in a target. Will I would happily shoot a picture of him, the target does NOT look like him. That's petty, but that's the point. I have and will use his range, I'm always happy when it's vacant when I show up. A buddy wanted to rent some .45s to try out and to try out mine. He asked about compacts, and they said they had a XD. So we show up and they don't have any XDs or .45 compacts and he ended up renting a M&P 45.

One of these things is not like the other.

Seriously, either you approve of the place or you don't. Why spend your money there at all if it's so terrible? There are other ranges in the city.

Glock_Breaker

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 1, 2010
    Indianapolis

Seriously, either you approve of the place or you don't. Why spend your money there at all if it's so terrible? There are other ranges in the city.

I would buy time on the range well before I would ever buy a gun from them. 30 bucks an hour is more than Pop's $19, but if I really wanted to shoot, why not?

I would definitely not recommend buying a gun from there, but range time's up to you.

SavageEagle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    I would buy time on the range well before I would ever buy a gun from them. 30 bucks an hour is more than Pop's $19, but if I really wanted to shoot, why not?

I would definitely not recommend buying a gun from there, but range time's up to you.

That's like saying because a movie coming out funds people you strongly disagree with like, say, The Brady Campaign, you won't go see it in the theater, but will buy the movie when it comes out on DVD.

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008

Because either you approve of his business practices or you don't. Personally, I'd rather give my money to one of the businesses I DO approve of, or I'll go without shooting at an indoor range. If you just don't like his prices, then that's fine. I don't like the way he runs his business and so I'm not giving him my money AT ALL.

Bendrx

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 3, 2009
    East Indy.

What other ranges are there in the city that I can go to - with late hours? I know of Eagle Creek, but no 5.56 allowed, I know of Pop Guns, but same there - that's where I shoot pistol at. Whenever Beachgrove Firearms opens thier new range I'll check them out, but last I heard there, no centefire rifle there either. I did make a post about trying to avoid Dons recently, and I was chewed up falsely for it (And there wasn't a single range in the city named that I could shoot 5.56 at). Even after clarifiying my intents I was still chewed up for the same things. So please tell where my other options are? Also, It should be noted that I don't approve of the US Government, but yet I still pay taxes as I'd rather be here than move to another country.

EDIT:
    And to address you statement directly. You're partially correct, an accurate statement would be "None of these are like the other". All three were seperate statements and not with the same words. Also there is NO contradiction in those so you're point (or at least what I precieve your point was meant to be) is pretty worthless IMO. I'm sorry they don't fit into your paradigm of ethics or principles but that's something you'll have to live with.

Last edited:

Bendrx

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 3, 2009
    East Indy.
    That's like saying because a movie coming out funds people you strongly disagree with like, say, The Brady Campaign, you won't go see it in the theater, but will buy the movie when it comes out on DVD.

I still haven't seen GI Joe, and I'd hope I'm not the only one to not see it for moral reasons. I have not rented or bought it, I have considered downloading it - I've got Netflix but I wont watch it there for the same reason you've stated.

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    I don't think the comparison is worthless at all. You're telling people that the store is not someplace that people should spend their money because {high prices | philosophical differences | safety | etc.} , but it's OK if they really really want to shoot and can't be inconvenienced to go to (for example) Atterbury. I agree that there are not a lot of places to shoot immediately inside the city, but there ARE places to shoot that aren't too far of a drive. Until I joined a membership range on the north side of the city, I drove two hours one-way to shoot. I had to make a day trip of it.

I'm not saying that I'm any more principled or ethical than anyone else. I'm just saying that if you're going to spend money there, then fine, spend money there. Don't do it while also talking about how horrible the place is.

Bendrx

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 3, 2009
    East Indy.
    I don't think the comparison is worthless at all. You're telling people that the store is not someplace that people should spend their money because {high prices | philosophical differences | safety | etc.} , but it's OK if they really really want to shoot and can't be inconvenienced to go to (for example) Atterbury. I agree that there are not a lot of places to shoot immediately inside the city, but there ARE places to shoot that aren't too far of a drive. Until I joined a membership range on the north side of the city, I drove two hours one-way to shoot. I had to make a day trip of it.

I'm not saying that I'm any more principled or ethical than anyone else. I'm just saying that if you're going to spend money there, then fine, spend money there. Don't do it while also talking about how horrible the place is.

Underlined Italics: I never said that, I've told people to not go there for specific reason. In general I avoid his store. That IS my general feeling, but again, that is general. The range is a specific.

I'm still wondering where these ranges in the city that I can go to are? It's not like I even enjoy going to the indoor ranges. I'll be sure to tell everyone that asks that they should go to Dons for all thier purchases then, I always thought it was okay to selectively shop. I forgot we don't have a free market. My bad.

Top Bottom