• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Gman2261

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 22, 2022
    Plainfield
    Hi folks, I was thinking about getting one of those training systems, such as MantisX or ect. to help my wife with her shooting skills. wouldn't hurt me none either. She gets nervous at the range and i think if i can get her a little more comfortable around handling herself it would help her at the range. Any advice welcome. Thanks

Trebor657

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jun 1, 2017
    Fort wayne
    I have an ELMS (Expert Laser Marksman System) by G Sight....I use it at least once or twice a month just to keep up my skills and improve my overall technique....I have also found that is a good tool for training in most every skill that alot of shooters don't practice regularly such as draw and shoot from holster or purse or pocket, shooting from cover, weak hand shooting and more...the drawbacks are that they are made only for semi autos (I'm a revolver guy) and that after you pull the trigger, you have to reset the trigger by pulling the slide....overall I would recommend this as a valuable training tool to hone skills or practice skills often forgot at the range....

NHT3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   0
    I've found a blow-back airsoft pistol to be a great training aid for someone that is noise sensitive or intimidated at a range. The lack of noise and soft recoil can help someone get over their fears and move on to a real firearm but YYMV. Some are nearly identical and the are safe to shoot in the backyard and a cardboard box works well as a backstop. 19X.jpg

blain

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 27, 2016
    Evansville
    Another great training aid to remember is, "adrenaline".
    Add it however you need.
    Being awaken in the wee hours of the morning by the sound of something falling and breaking in another room surely would supply a dose of adrenaline.
    Or loading the washer and hearing the back door kicked in, also provides a shot of adrenaline.
    Dealing with that initial blast can be the difference between freeze or fight mode.

WanderingSol07

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 7, 2017
    North Central
    I too used a bore laser from G-sight. I doubled my shots into a 2" circle from 7 yards after being able to practice indoors with the laser. I was doing about 100 'shots' a week with the laser and after a couple weeks my shooting accuracy improved, along with my grip and my draw.

BigRed

Banned More Than You
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 29, 2017
    1,000 yards out
    Another great training aid to remember is, "adrenaline".
    Add it however you need.
    Being awaken in the wee hours of the morning by the sound of something falling and breaking in another room surely would supply a dose of adrenaline.
    Or loading the washer and hearing the back door kicked in, also provides a shot of adrenaline.
    Dealing with that initial blast can be the difference between freeze or fight mode.

Yep. This is why I often suggest folks get involved in events that introduce it. Even something like a timed competetive event fets some exposure.

Twangbanger

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 9, 2010
    Short version: you don't need it. It's a money trap for newbies.

Longer version: Although I wouldn't tell somebody to "not" get a laser dryfire system, because any time you spend with the gun in your hands is valuable (especially if you don't currently dryfire at all)...there is no skill you'd build with it that you wouldn't get from doing an equal number of reps setting up a dot on the wall and drawing and clicking at it. The "feedback" from the laser gives the impression of being important information but it's really not. The front sight already does that, "if you look at it." Learning how to shoot (not learning to defend yourself - that's totally different) is really about getting away from being dependent on external sources of feedback that come "after the shot" (lasers, bullet holes on paper), and learning to look at your sight and discern "in the moment" what information you're getting from it. Dry firing is about removing the external "result," and looking at your sights in real time. The laser just replaces the "bullet result" with a laser result. It's not really dry firing. It's wet firing with cheaper "ammo."

If you don't currently dry fire, and having a laser-thingy is the thing that motivates you to get the gun out every day, then do it. The key to a laser device is using it the right way: 1) Make sure that you keep your sights calibrated to where actual bullets hit, and bring the laser into agreement with that, otherwise you'll get totally different results from the laser and live ammo, and it could actually make you shoot worse. 2) Then, ask yourself where your sights were, and see if the laser result coincides with that on each shot, so you learn "shot calling."

Edit: if your lady friend "gets nervous" when shooting, I'd recommend finding out why, and determine if a good-quality .22 pistol that she's not afraid of, would be a better addition to your training arsenal than a laser system.

Last edited:

Chance

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 25, 2009
    Berne
    Airsoft in same format as what you carry. I do 100’s of shots practicing strong hand, weak hand point shooting, etc. great for developing muscle memory.

NHT3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   0
    Yep. This is why I often suggest folks get involved in events that introduce it. Even something like a timed competetive event fets some exposure.
    More than once I've witnessed people that were pretty good shots fold like a cheap lawn chair with a timer running and 15 guys watching.. It's not like being shot at but it does change the dynamic drastically from just punching paper.

MrGiggles

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 11, 2023
    Carmel
    I've been wondering about preparing for the whole "adrenaline" thing and I've never thought of that before. Almost like a stage fright taking the place of actual fright in a self defense situation. That's an interesting idea, might have to start getting involved in competition stuff sooner than later.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    More than once I've witnessed people that were pretty good shots fold like a cheap lawn chair with a timer running and 15 guys watching.. It's not like being shot at but it does change the dynamic drastically from just punching paper.
    When my youngest started shooting against the clock he started having problems with his draw.
    He was trying to draw before he had a good/proper grip on his pistol, and his shooting showed it.
    I told him smooth, and steady is fast.
    I said to just concentrate on the draw, not the clock, and he improved vastly.
    I'd like to see him get into local competition I believe it would be good for him, and his wife.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    Hi folks, I was thinking about getting one of those training systems, such as MantisX or ect. to help my wife with her shooting skills. wouldn't hurt me none either. She gets nervous at the range and i think if i can get her a little more comfortable around handling herself it would help her at the range. Any advice welcome. Thanks
    Also a co2 bb gun with trap In basement or garage works well too.
    Another thing an old timer taught me was to get a full-size mirror and stand in front of it to practice my draw. You can see what you are doing wrong and correct it.
    He had us draw, and dry fire hundreds of times. The first day we all had blisters on our hands, but we were all doing very smooth and fast draws by the next day.
    Might be something you could do to help you and her out.
    Another thing I did with my children was have them field strip the firearm they used, and put it back together several times. It seems to build confidence in the firearm and their understanding of how it operates.

BigRed3588

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 4, 2013
    Boynton Beach
    I've been wondering about preparing for the whole "adrenaline" thing and I've never thought of that before. Almost like a stage fright taking the place of actual fright in a self defense situation. That's an interesting idea, might have to start getting involved in competition stuff sooner than later.
    It would help a bit but the adrenaline rush from a real world scenario is hard to replicate. I’ve never shot competition, but I’ve been in two home invasion situations and qualified on the DHS course of fire which is timed. People watching you while you’re on the clock and knowing you’re in a life or death situation are two different things. The adrenaline rush from the latter is unlike anything I’ve ever felt. If you’re on the clock, training is a must and breathing is a plus. In a real world scenario, you need both. Tunnel vision and loss of your fine motor skills set in if you don’t control your breathing.

Max Volume

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 26, 2008
    da region Highland
    Well, you get a .22 target trap, a bb gun or airsoft that is similar to the real thing, could have a pellet gun also and put on your holster. Make sure nobody else is around and lock the cat in a bedroom. Then go to the opposite end of the house and train away including from the draw. It gives more incentive if the target is placed above the monitor. You can even practice in daylight, low
    light and with a flashlight I would imagine.

thumbnail (35).jpg

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    Back when I was able to sprint I would sprint 50yds out, and back to get my heart rate up.
    I would then draw my edc at 15yds, and shoot multiple targets as I moved forward. The last target was 5yds away. Anywhere from 3-6 targets.
    I use to do 2 shots per targets nowadays when I train I go 3 shots per target.
    I had no way of timing myself as I was constantly on the move, and usually trained by myself.
    My boys, and nephews I trained doing the same, but with rifles.
    I'd lay bolt action high power rifles (military surplus) down at 50yds from targets spread out 5yds apart.
    They would sprint 50yds out, and back, go prone, and load a round into the chamber, and fire. I timed them, and shot placement also was a factor.
    They absolutely loved the competition against each other.
    It taught them to control their breathing, and trigger pull for that one good shot.
    As they got older we went to AR-15, and, or AK 47, and multiple targets at 50yds. I also added in dummy rounds for them to clear.
    Iron sights only because I feel children need to learn them before going to optics.

Main thing is to get that heart rate up if you are healthy enough for that. Fast breathing, and you feel your heart pounding. Don't skimp on the sprints push hard as you can. You'll see what I'm talking about if you try it.
    Hopefully you live in the country, or have a friend where you can do this because I doubt any range will.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    Well, you get a .22 target trap, a bb gun or airsoft that is similar to the real thing, could have a pellet gun also and put on your holster. Make sure nobody else is around and lock the cat in a bedroom. Then go to the opposite end of the house and train away including from the draw. It gives more incentive if the target is placed above the monitor. You can even practice in daylight, low
    light and with a flashlight I would imagine.

View attachment 269324
    IMG_20230412_074013249.jpgIMG_20230412_074002338.jpg
    Here's mine.
    It's old, but still catches bullets just fine.

Top Bottom