• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JJT*90

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 31, 2011
    I have an 870 with an 18" barrel. I'm thinking about going to Wilbur Wright later this week to shoot. However I have no interest in trap or skeet, I'm more interested in target shooting. So here's my question, will they let me shoot it on the rifle or pistol ranges? If so, what should I shoot? 00, slugs, or do you think Federal target loads will pattern tight enough (I doubt it) to use at these ranges (25 and 50 yds I believe)?

Also I have never been to WW before, what should I take? Gun, ammo, range box, targets, and a stapler? I'm not to sure if I have a stapler to take, would duct tape work?

Sorry for all the questions, I'm sort of new to shooting. I usually shoot at Dons, but they aren't free.

KillStick

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Dec 9, 2010
    Anderson
    I am pretty sure they won't let you shoot shotgun on the 25, 50 yard range unless to sight in a slug gun and only minimal rounds to be fired. You will have to bring all of that to shoot. It is a really basic range. they may let you set up a target on the shot gun range to test your patterns but you should probably ask them first. Also they have certain operation times. Find those times out before you make a wasted trip.

Last edited:

JJT*90

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 31, 2011
    Wilbur Wright is in New Castle.

I know they close at 5 and aren't open on Mondays or Tuesdays. I've looked on line, I just can't find any info.

If WW won't let me, does anyone know where will? I'm located in Anderson.

1911Shooter

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2011
    Pendleton, IN
    I shoot at Wilber Wright all the time. They will let you shoot slugs in the 25 and 50 yard ranges, and to shoot buck or bird shot just go to the far left end. It used to be a 100 yard range but they shut it down and now use it for throwing clays and stationary shotgun targets. They are really relaxed about what you do, but make sure you ask the guy there first if you think it could be questionable. If you plan on shooting at stationary targets in the shotgun range make sure you bring something to hold them up with. Most people just shoot plastic jugs filled with water or even pop cans. Just make sure you clean up you mess when your done cause if you dont they range guy gets a little upset.

JJT*90

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 31, 2011
    Sweet! Looks like I'm taking some slugs to WW later this week. Thanks for the info guys. I think I have 50 or 60 slugs laying around, I'll just grab a few more before I head down.

Fullmag

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Sep 4, 2011
    Try a search for Conservation Clubs. There are many around, I'm going sign up for Monroe Township soon, was a member but let it go. It's closer to Muncie off of Co Rd 700 and St Rd 3.

Shooting clubs are the best way to go most with low cost for memberships.

Fullmag

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Sep 4, 2011
    What to take, every thing mentioned above, don't think duct tape will work very well. Most people are helpful if they are there.

JJT*90

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 31, 2011
    I guess I'm going to track down a stapler then. I'd join a club, but I only live in Indiana 3 days a week, and I work 30 hours in those days. The other 4 days I live in Ohio without my guns. :(

AmericanBob

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    May 10, 2009
    Noblesville
    dear god. you're going to shoot 50-60 slugs? out of an 870? what the hell is your shoulder made of? or did it do something really bad and you're trying to teach it a lesson.

JJT*90

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 31, 2011
    I normally go to Dons and do 100-150 rounds in 30 minutes. That's target loads, and some buck. These things don't really recoil that much.

Fullmag

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Sep 4, 2011
    Ohio resident? Don't know if that would be problem at the gun club. It's not too far away from WW with much better hours, Daylight till Dark 7 days a week. A couple of times a year closed Sat. for $55.00 a year.

JJT*90

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 31, 2011
    Nope. I'm an Indiana resident. the issue is, I can only shoot three days a week, but I work 10 hour days all three days. Therefore I don't shoot enough to justify a membership.

1911Shooter

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2011
    Pendleton, IN
    Well if you ever are looking for a club also check out fall creek. Its in anderson and only about a mile or two from meijer. That way the time you do have to shoot will be spent shooting and not driving.

JJT*90

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 31, 2011
    Thanks for the info guys. I know Fall Creek is 2 miles from my house, I just don't think I'd make it out enough. I didn't get out to the range this week to shoot. To many other issues.

Fullmag

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Sep 4, 2011
    50 a year is a great price to shoot when ever you have time, that's 13.6 cents a day. Wilbur Wright has certain hours of operation and closed a couple or days.
    Was at Wilbur not long ago and it was raining so we were all gathered under the 50 yard range roof. On a holiday weekend so there was a wait to shoot. It was not a good a day at the range at all.

Top Bottom