• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 3, 2008
    central indiana
    BBC News - Today - The gunfighter's dilemma

Imagine the scene - you're standing in the deserted street of a ramshackle wild west town, Colt 45 strapped to your thigh, the music of Ennio Morricone floating on the air.

Somewhere off to the right a shutter bangs in the wind. Tumbleweed skitters by. Up ahead a grim-faced man dressed all in black (if it's a poncho you're in real trouble) stands ready to draw his six-shooter.

What happens next will decide whether you live or die. Should you go for your gun, or wait for him to make the first move?

Dr Andrew Welchman explains the laboratory gunfight
    We all know Hollywood's answer: In the movies the hero always waits for the man in the black hat to move first, securing the moral high ground, before beating him with superior quick-fire skills.

But in the real world, logic dictates that the gunslinger who draws first has a clear advantage. In a duel to the death, where every second counts, a head start should make all the difference.

If only everything in life was so simple. New research from the University of Birmingham suggests the best strategy may actually be to wait for the other guy to make his move

billyboyr6

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Jan 28, 2010
    greenfield
    Make first draw. I think he who makes first draw will be left standing. call me a coward but i couldnt take that chance that i was indeed a faster shot. nice theread

RelicHound

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 30, 2009
    SW IN
    I heard somewhere{maybe the history channel} that the whole "gun slinger" thing is a myth..nothing but hollywood BS. I think they said there is no record of such a "show down" in the streets. but there are records of those duels you hear of "take 10 paces turn and shoot" but none of that quick draw stuff. I think the show was called "cowboy tech" or something like that:dunno:

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 29, 2009
    I heard somewhere{maybe the history channel} that the whole "gun slinger" thing is a myth..nothing but hollywood BS. I think they said there is no record of such a "show down" in the streets. but there are records of those duels you hear of "take 10 paces turn and shoot" but none of that quick draw stuff. I think the show was called "cowboy tech" or something like that:dunno:

Hm. Interesting.

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008

I think the OK Corral was pretty much a "classic" Western gun fight.

BTW... anybody know how long that fight lasted, start to finish?

RelicHound

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 30, 2009
    SW IN
    I think the OK Corral was pretty much a "classic" Western gun fight.

BTW... anybody know how long that fight lasted, start to finish?

yep..Im sure there where quit a few shoot outs..but Im talking about the ones you see in the movies..2 guys standing 10' from each other ready for a battle of speed.

as far as long the fight at the OK corral lasted..I don think it lasted very long..maybe a couple of minutes?:dunno:

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Han shot first. Worked out pretty well for him.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FUkccifPmrk]YouTube - Han Shot First[/ame]

22lr

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 8, 2009
    Jeff Gordon Country
    Interesting study, but ya the western gunfight standoff in the streets has no historical background. Also I cant see how they would be different that today's average fights. 3-7 shots under 10 yards both people miss.

huntall50

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 7, 2009
    NW Indianapolis
    I would not be standing in the middle of the street...I would draw while moving to cover! And also how much do I want to see this guy dead would be a motivation in how the fight goes down.

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    Some about this doesn't smell right (especially coming from across the pond).

The way this is reported makes it sound like the second person to draw (who is already about .25 seconds behind at that point) can complete the draw stroke, making up that deficit and come out 21 ms ahead. Huh?

Even if it's true (and I'm skeptical), a 21 ms difference means you both just shot each other.

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    yep..Im sure there where quit a few shoot outs..but Im talking about the ones you see in the movies..2 guys standing 10' from each other ready for a battle of speed.

as far as long the fight at the OK corral lasted..I don think it lasted very long..maybe a couple of minutes?:dunno:

Believe one of those Discovery Channel or History Channel shows said witnesses reported it took about 30 seconds.

snorko

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    369   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Evansville, IN
    Neat article. Obviously the gunfight scenario is a simple example to illustrate what is actually being tested.

That being said, I am giggling over the picture of Niels Bohr, eminent Nobel winning physicist, having quick draw competitions with cap guns in the lab.

"It turns out that the celebrated Danish physicist and Nobel laureate, Niels Bohr, liked to take time off from figuring out the structure of the universe by watching westerns.

Bohr noticed that the man who drew first invariably got shot, and speculated that the intentional act of drawing and shooting was slower to execute than the action in response.

...with the aid of cap guns hastily purchased in a Copenhagen toyshop...In a series of mock gunfights with colleagues Bohr always drew second and always won.

rex soldier

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 31, 2009
    Valley of Dry Bones
    i also think they said that they didn't open carry there hand gun on there hip either . they cc . :): i'm just saying

BoilerGuy

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 31, 2010
    Lafayette
    I heard somewhere{maybe the history channel} that the whole "gun slinger" thing is a myth..nothing but hollywood BS. I think they said there is no record of such a "show down" in the streets.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wLnmvseCseI&feature=related]YouTube - Fastest gunman ever. Unbelievable Bob Munden[/ame]

Around 33 seconds talks a bit about it.

Redskinsfan

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 25, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    Originally Posted by RelicHound

You are right. This myth was busted is several venues. There is not one recorded instance of the classic high noon showdown, not one.

The violence in the Old West towns followed the same path as it very often does today, alcohol, drug abuse and gambiling.

I wouldn't stand in the street waiting for someone to shoot at me, it is really dumb thing to do.

Terry

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    RedMurph
    Top Bottom