• ...and so much more!
  • DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Just a guess, but an FFL providing false info about shipping a gun may be taking a significant risk. I would never do business with them!
    I don't think anyone was talking about them providing false info (claiming that the shipment was something it wasn't), but rather just being discreet with the return address.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    64   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Looks like there is a service out there ship my firearm, may use them as a last resort? Other option is to visit some friends in Indiana and drop it off in person.
    Do you have an FFL you trust to ship it for you for a fee?

Not that Allen offers this service but wonder if in general a gunsmith/FFL who has an account with the carrier could just provide their customer with a shipping label to avoid these issues. Labels can be emailed and then just brought in when shipped.

Would seem the way to possibly do it if one is receiving firearms from people across the country to work on.

Last edited:

WebSnyper

Rating - 100%
    64   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Yes but not my first choice. Not sure how this would be classified as it’s really not a transfer.
    I wouldn't think you would need to do a transfer unless the FFL needs to somehow have it on his books (which I wouldn't think they would need to, but could be wrong). They could just ship it for you and problem solved.

wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Off the Grid In Tennessee
    I wouldn't think you would need to do a transfer unless the FFL needs to somehow have it on his books (which I wouldn't think they would need to, but could be wrong). They could just ship it for you and problem solved.
    Hoping that is the case. I just refuse to pay a transfer fee on something I own. I really want Allen M to do the work. Not sure I would trust anyone else locally.

wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Off the Grid In Tennessee
    Do you have an FFL you trust to ship it for you for a fee?

Not that Allen offers this service but wonder if in general a gunsmith/FFL who has an account with the carrier could just provide their customer with a shipping label to avoid these issues. Labels can be emailed and then just brought in when shipped.

Would seem the way to possibly do it if one is receiving firearms from people across the country to work on.
    Hoping that may be an option?

WebSnyper

Rating - 100%
    64   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Hoping that is the case. I just refuse to pay a transfer fee on something I own. I really want Allen M to do the work. Not sure I would trust anyone else locally.
    I'm 5 minutes from him and definitely understand. He's just a great dude, let alone gunsmith and auto body man. Was at his shop today and drooling over some 2011 work he's done.

profjeremy

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Jun 30, 2020
    Indianapolis
    If ownership of the gun isn’t being transferred, you don’t need to use a FFL.

I just shipped a gun off for a trigger job and The Sig Armorer uses FedEx. In his shipping instructions, it does say if they ask, to tell them it’s “machine parts” (which is actually true). The carriers themselves don’t want anyone knowing there’s a firearm in there and I’m guessing that anyone who has worked at UPS or FedEx long enough knows what that likely means. It also must have signature confirmation added (per the ATF).

I don’t know why it would prevent a shipping insurance claim from being approved either… precision machined steel parts (which my gun is) can be very expensive!

Last edited:

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    If ownership of the gun isn’t being transferred, you don’t need to use a FFL.

I just shipped a gun off for a trigger job and The Sig Armorer uses FedEx. In his shipping instructions, it does say if they ask, to tell them it’s “machine parts” (which is actually true). The carriers themselves don’t want anyone knowing there’s a firearm in there and I’m guessing that anyone who has worked at UPS or FedEx long enough knows what that likely means. It also must have signature confirmation added (per the ATF).

I don’t know why it would prevent a shipping insurance claim from being approved either… precision machined steel parts (which my gun is) can be very expensive!
    My gunsmith said he ships firearms via USPS. Insured...
    He field strips it and calls it parts and they accept it he said.

We had this conversation pre covid so not sure if things have changed since.

profjeremy

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Jun 30, 2020
    Indianapolis
    My gunsmith said he ships firearms via USPS. Insured...
    He field strips it and calls it parts and they accept it he said.

We had this conversation pre covid so not sure if things have changed since.
    Yeah, I took the slide off so I could legitimately say it was parts, but it sounds like this is common practice. I have heard recently that it was a no-no via USPS, but ok with FedEx and UPS. You can (and should) insure it and it has to have adult signature required. Not sure if not being able to use USPS is a new thing or not.

lrdudley

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 30, 2016
    Indianapolis
    Yeah, I took the slide off so I could legitimately say it was parts, but it sounds like this is common practice. I have heard recently that it was a no-no via USPS, but ok with FedEx and UPS. You can (and should) insure it and it has to have adult signature required. Not sure if not being able to use USPS is a new thing or not.
    I was under the impression that hand guns were a no-no with the USPS, but long guns could be shipped.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    jojo99
    Top Bottom