• Status
    Not open for further replies.

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    Ammoland is reporting on a bill currently in the state Senate that would require training classes before you're allowed to own a firearm. This is unconscionable and something that folks better get in touch with their senators over. Kill it with fire.
    From Ammoland

Indiana- -(Ammoland.com)-A recently introduced Indiana bill would greatly restrict the ability of residents to purchase firearms.
    Senate Bill 304, sponsored by Senator Connie Sipes (D- New Albany), would, with limited exceptions, prohibit anyone from purchasing, renting, or obtaining a firearm by transfer without completing a new firearms safety course administered by the state police department.
    The measure only allows those that have their concealed carry licenses, are current law enforcement officials, or are current and former members of the armed forces to be exempted from the safety training mandate. Sportsmen who are licensed hunters and have fulfilled their hunter education requirements, would still be prohibited from purchasing a new or used firearm without first taking the state’s mandated safety course.
    “Law abiding citizens should not have to jump through hoops to exercise their second amendment rights,” said Jeremy Rine, U.S. Sportsmen’s Alliance (USSA) associate director of state services. “This bill creates a new level of bureacracy without cause.”
    SB 304 has been assigned to the Senate Committee on Corrections, Criminal, and Civil Matters.
    A bit more at the source.

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    I think we should prohibit anyone from voting, with limited exceptions, without first taking a new voter safety class administered by the Sec. of State. History has shown time and time again that voting is simply too dangerous to let just any uninformed moron near the ballot box. ;)

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    Here's the committees site and a shortened list of the members, (last names only, unfortunately).
    Link

This page lists names and has links to email them.

Understand that I encourage writing to your legislators and voicing your opinion. I don't want to appear otherwise. I would like to say, however, that I believe that bill has less than a snowball's chance in hell in that committee.

By all means, write, call, meet with your legislators... I did!

Blessings,
    Bill

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    Understand that I encourage writing to your legislators and voicing your opinion. I don't want to appear otherwise. I would like to say, however, that I believe that bill has less than a snowball's chance in hell in that committee.

By all means, write, call, meet with your legislators... I did!

Blessings,
    Bill
    I agree. This is just a political stunt so she can go back to her constituents and say, "Look, see, I tried, but those redneck republicans stopped it before it even had a chance".

inxs

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    If they made it mandatory that all citizens take a safety course..........

Any bets on that happening?

gunbunnies

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 13, 2009
    NWI
    Stop Indiana SB 304

Sorry MrJarrell I didn't see your original post, so I guess this is more of a bump...

I read the below article in the Indiana Outdoor News Vol. 2010 number 2 February 2010, and snips of it at their website on page 2
    Indiana Outdoor News
    Also the bill is found at:
    Introduced Version, Senate Bill 0304

Read it and voice your opinion with your state and local representatives... You know what this will become...

Bill Creates New Hurdle for Gun Owners

Senator Connie Sipes Dem- New Albany has introduced a bill that would require most people purchasing a firearm to first complete an Indiana State Police firearms safety course.

USSA Report

A recently introduced bill would greatly restrict the ability of Indiana residents to purchase firearms.

Senate Bill 304, sponsored by Senator Connie Sipes (D - New Albany), would, with limited exceptions, prohibit anyone from purchasing, renting, or obtaining a firearm by transfer without completing a new firearms safety course administered by the Indiana State Police (ISP).

The measure only allows 1) those with current concealed carry licenses, 2) current law enforcement officials, or 3) current and former members of the armed forces to be exempted from the safety training mandate. Sportsman who are licensed hunters -- even those who have successfully completed hunter education-- would still be prohibited from purchasing a new or used firearm without taking the state's mandated safety course.

"Law abiding citizens should not have to jump through hoops to exercise their second amendment rights " said Jeremy Rine, U.S. Sportsmen's Alliance (USSA) associate director of state services. "This bill creates a new level of bureaucracy without cause."

SB 304 has been assigned to the Senate Committee on Corrections, Criminal, and Civil Matters.

Indiana sportsman should contact thier state senators today and urge them to oppose SB 304. To find your state senator's phone number, go to
    U.S. Sportsmen's Alliance

Last edited:

Calvin

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 2, 2009
    Bloomington, IN
    It would be better if our lawmakers would simply go on vacation for the duration of their terms.
    Instead they come up with crap like this just so they can say they did something. I don't see this passing in Indiana.

Srtsi4wd

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Rather than mandate a training course, I would like to see the state be mandated to offer a training course as an option with the LTCH. This would gain LTCH holder's reciprocity without our money going into Utah's coffers.:yesway:

They work for us. They need to be reminded of that fact.:xmad:

Ramen

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 9, 2009
    This bill is dead. The Corrections Committee is no longer meeting and Third Reading Deadline is next week.

Anyway, Senator Steele would never hear this bill, which is why it was assigned to his committee.

Ramen

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 9, 2009
    It doesn't show it as dead yet on Indiana.gov's site...

Indiana General Assembly

Guess they could be slow like gov'ment is but where did you find it listed dead at ???

Just wondering...

The LSA website doesn't list the bills as "alive" or "dead". It is dead because there are no more chances for it to be heard in committee (they aren't meeting) and bills switch houses after this upcoming week. Meaning, any bill that has not passed out of a committee in the Senate at this point in time is unofficially "dead". And officially dead after next week.

The only way this bill could pass is if all of the 35+ pro-gun Senators suddenly join the Brady campaign and vote to move it to the floor directly to second reading. This will not happen in the Senate.

gunbunnies

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 13, 2009
    NWI
    Thankyou for the explanation... Glad to hear that this type of draconian legistlation is off the table... so therefore another win for those who believe we are free....

Just a interesting note though... Your statement " The only way this bill could pass is if all of the 35+ pro-gun Senators suddenly join the Brady campaign and vote to move it to the floor directly to second reading. This will not happen in the Senate."

isn't all that far fetched after a Democrat took Indiana in the last presidential election....

Very strange and different times we live in....

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom