• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • hoosier31

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 11, 2012
    Bedford
    Hi guys, I am doing some research for a friend of mine and I need to get your opinions. First of all, my friend is wanting to buy her husband a rifle for Christmas. He as been wanting a Semi-Auto 308, only problem is that most of them are out of her price range. She is only looking to spend around $800. Does anyone know of any nice semi-auto 308's that fall into that range? Or should she just go ahead and get him a bolt action gun? I know specifically that he was interested mostly in the Springfield M1A, is there another gun out there that is similar that might be priced a little better? Sorry for my ignorance in this subject, I am just not very knowledgeable on this subject. Any suggestions or opinions are appreciated. Thanks!

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    Hi guys, I am doing some research for a friend of mine and I need to get your opinions. First of all, my friend is wanting to buy her husband a rifle for Christmas. He as been wanting a Semi-Auto 308, only problem is that most of them are out of her price range. She is only looking to spend around $800. Does anyone know of any nice semi-auto 308's that fall into that range? Or should she just go ahead and get him a bolt action gun? I know specifically that he was interested mostly in the Springfield M1A, is there another gun out there that is similar that might be priced a little better? Sorry for my ignorance in this subject, I am just not very knowledgeable on this subject. Any suggestions or opinions are appreciated. Thanks!

you might find a converted m1 grand at that price.

hoosier31

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 11, 2012
    Bedford
    Thanks! If it were for me personally the 30-06 would be great, but for whatever reason (I really have no idea why) he is dead set on the 308.

gunman41mag

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 1, 2011
    SOUTH of YOU
    A CETME for less than $500
    cetme-001.jpg

tredwing

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 31, 2012
    Not sure of the price, but my dad uses a Savage 308. He shot a deer in the eye from 200 yards out one time.

tredwing

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 31, 2012
    Yeah...but was it on purpose? WTH aims for the eye? :rolleyes:

Thats like saying "last year I shot this doe in the guts from 200yds away".

Yes, it was on purpose, because he could only see the head of the deer crossing tall grass on the south end of a swamp. Other wise he would have shot into the neck or heart area.

tredwing

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 31, 2012
    your dad must be getting better because 10 minutes ago in this thread
    https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo..._you_think_about_savage_rifles.html?highlight=

he could hit a deer at 100-150 yards

That was a average shot in Michigan he could shoot. In michigan, some area's you have a lot longer range shots compared to most in Indiana The 200 yard shot was just one time I saw when I was young. I was just pointing out the 308 savage is an impressive rifle.

Hope this clears the air, since most deer hunters in southern Indiana probably haven't used a High powered rifle for hunting, unless there hunting in another state.

Last edited:

remauto1187

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 25, 2012
    Stepping Stone
    That was a average shot in Michigan he could shoot. In michigan, some area's you have a lot longer range shots compared to most in Indiana The 200 yard shot was just one time I saw when I was young. I was just pointing out the 308 savage is an impressive rifle,

You can get set up for 300, 400, 500, 1000yd shots in Indiana/Illinois if it were legal with the .308. It is prairieland ya know. Corn/soybean fields are not exactly uncommon and 100's of yds long and across...to a wooded edge....where the deer poke out from time to time. ;)

tredwing

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 31, 2012
    You can get set up for 300, 400, 500, 1000yd shots in Indiana/Illinois if it were legal with the .308. It is prairieland ya know. Corn/soybean fields are not exactly uncommon and 100's of yds long and across...to a wooded edge....where the deer poke out from time to time. ;)

I agree, but thats the problem! It's not legal here. So the only way your shooting a deer in Indiana from those ranges are with a camera lol

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    If he is interested mainly in the M1A, nothing else will satisfy. It is going to take more money unless a used one comes up in a distressed, must sell, situation.

It did for me once, and I sold a great early M1A to my brother for 800 bucks with several mags because I needed cash right now.

The Saiga is a good choice for a reliable .308, but a rifle that is not on his list will not make him happy. Believe me, we all know this is true.

Top Bottom