• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Seancass

Master
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 12, 2008
    Near Whiteland, IN
    Have you ever thought about going a new direction with your guns? For some this may mean selling a few revolvers and mil-surps to buy that perfect AR, or unloading(er, selling) a spare AR to buy that new shotgun, etc.

I'm thinking about selling a revolver, rifle and 2 shotguns for something new and undecided. That's roughly half of what i own all going up for sale. And i don't even have something in particular i have to have. Just thinking i need to try some new guns. I've never even sold a gun before.

Anybody ever thought about doing this? Or even tried it?

JDonhardt

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 28, 2010
    Why not just get some new guns? Then you can go in your "new direction" and remain going in the "old direction".

22lr

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 8, 2009
    Jeff Gordon Country
    Worst mistake of my gun trading career was when I got out of automatics and traded into revolvers. Traded a S&W 5906 for a Ruger 101 357. Dont get me wrong it was a fair trade, but looking back that was the nicest automatic I have ever shot. Someday ill get another, but until then........

IndyMonkey

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2010
    I get bored easily with guns. I will keep one for a few months then sell it off.

I have less than 5 guns that I have had for more than 5 years.

Seancass

Master
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 12, 2008
    Near Whiteland, IN
    Why not just get some new guns? Then you can go in your "new direction" and remain going in the "old direction".
    I have limited moneys and I'm wanting nicer, more expensive toys. So i could sell a few less-nice guns and get 1-2 nicer guns. Plus, i don't have to keep saving money from pay checks if i just sell guns and get the money quickly. Or trade several guns for one. just thinking/typing out loud.

clt46910

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 4, 2008
    Akron Indiana
    I have spend over 40 years trading off guns. Always wanting to try something new or something different. It was the only way I could learn as much as I did. I could never afford to keep buying new guns, so did a lot of trading, selling and buying.

Sometimes I regret a few, but overall I was happy over the years.

wally05

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    Yep, most of mine are bought and then sold. I get more attached to my rifles than pistols, so the pistols get sold often.

JohnP82

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 2, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    I have a hard time getting rid of my guns. I have sold a couple in the past, but only to put towards the purchase of a new gun. I would never part with any of mine for any other reason. Many people regret selling their guns, but if it makes you happy go for it. I think if you are selling some to get money for another you will be fine. You said you were selling a few of your cheaper ones, so at least if you happen to regret getting rid of one of them you could pick it back up fairly easy. Good luck with your decision. :ingo:

451_Detonics

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2010
    North Central Indiana
    I am willing to part with most of my firearms, if the price is right. Never have been opposed to making money off of range toys. But the firearms I carry....you would have better luck talking Yogi out of a pic-a-nic basket. I will not carry a gun unless I am very proficient with it, this means a good deal of practice and at least 1000 rounds in a revolver and 2500 in a semi-auto. So trading working firearms would be very counter productive.

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    Sell them.... ???

:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

I've never sold any of my guns (other than an AR lower that I traded to my brother for another gun). Just save money and buy more, that's how I do it. Even if I don't shoot a gun often, it still has a purpose in my collection, so when I want a new one I just save up for it.

indoorsoccerfrea

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 9, 2009
    I have thought about it, but I plan on fulfilling a core list, and then anything above and beyond that is just icing on the cake. Those I might sell trade, but those on the list...those are not going anywhere. Currently I am still working on getting the list of 11.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    I am another that has rarely if ever sold or traded off a gun. I did it one time (traded) and have regretted it ever since. I assume you guys trade wives and children also?

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    I have two (38 Special and 1911) that I will never sell! The rest can go up for sale at any time. They aren't expensive, but have a lot of sentimental value.

rhart

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 11, 2009
    Avon
    Yep, I went through this. I ran out of room in my 30 gun safe. Many of which I never fired. I decided to create categories of guns I need, then fill that need with trades of the ones I dont.
    Mine:
    Waterfowl, turkey gun
    Upland gun, sporting clay
    Long range "Varmit rifle"
    Deer pistol 44 mag
    deer black powder rifle and pistol 50 cal (44 bullet)
    Deer rifle. 445 SM uses 44 bullet
    Big game rifle
    22 rifle assault type 10/22
    22 rifle bolt
    22 pistol
    assault shotgun
    assault rifle
    Combat pistols
    carry pistol concealed 2 or 3 Im still working on it!)
    carry pistol less concealed or open
    I know in a pinch I could cut this back more. Also, now trying to get reloading components for most of these that make sense
    Did I miss anything???????

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    ive done this to a small degree over the last few years. if you notice i dont list in the classifieds that often but when i do i list 2-3-4 guns. i just try to upgrade. i usto have 30 guns but no really nice ones. now i have 15-20 but they are nice guns or nice optics

singlesix

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, In
    For me it is a hobby. I don't look to guns for my retirement. So if I sell some and get a new one and enjoy it ... I win. I have too much other things that cause worry so I don't need my hobby to be one of them. Do what make sense to you and enjoy.

Squib

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 28, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Here's a shocker; people are different. There's no right or wrong choice in this instance. For me, selling wives and children is OK, but I could never sell my dog!:D

I sold one revolver, once. It didn't feel good. I have some of my dad's guns, and when I take them out, there is an instant connection, I'll never sell them.

I'm gonna date myself with this one. Remember when you bought a gun, shot it, bonded with it, cleaned it and generally kept picking it up for days? No broken plastic, no FTF, no mag drops, etc? It worked. For the record, I swear, if I get one more that doesn't work, it's gone.

If you want to go in another direction, you should!

NRA Lifer since 1971

ambushunter

Plinker
    Rating - 80%
    4   1   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Northern IN
    I use to have crap loads of pistols and got board with them and sold most off, getting into longrange shooting. Just don't sell anything you think you may regret later. Common guns will prob always be comon and easy to come by.

2cool9031

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    NWI
    I the past year I did more than just think about it...I sold some stuff I had for 15-20 yrs. and got some other things. I moved from ILL. about 6 years ago and most of my pistols were bigger with longer barrels...I couldn't carry them there anyway. I also sold some guns to get out of certain calibers.

Top Bottom