• Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • In what manner have you deployed your firearm for self defense?

• Total voters

Jay

Gotta watch us old guys.....cause if you don't....
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 19, 2008
    Near Marion, IN
    I just know that it's my responsibility.
    If I am not knowledgable of what constitutes lawful use, and prepared to deal with the aftermath, I should not be carrying. I am not one to consider warnings as an effective means of protection and I will not willingly frequent locations known for criminal activity merely because I have a firearm with me either. Situation awareness is more protection IMO. I do my best not to present myself as a viable target to a thug.

Without a doubt the most prudent post thus far.

+1, and repped :patriot:

Hayseed_40

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    Strongbadia
    It is an immeasurable Responsibility when one picks up a tool that can end ones existence...

+1

To carry and brandish (in the true definition - not legal v illegal) a firearm on someone is not cool and it does not make you tough. It is like being a father - with the right equipment almost anybody can do it. It is an awesome responsibility not to be taken lightly. I do it because my family is my number one item in this world and I will protect them. I will also protect myself because they count on me to be there.

If you have not been in a serious situation where you have had to pull on someone (and I do not mean because they took your parking spot or the last dinner roll at Old Country Buffet), pray that you do not get put in that situation (but keep training like you will).

Oh, and a big negatory on the warning shots.

Last edited:

SHEEPdOHdoubleG

Plinker
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 20, 2011
    East Central Indiana
    I was heading to work one day and a large pickup truck was showing a case of road rage. He ended up blocking the road I was on, giving me now means of escape except backwards. I pulled a Glock 22 from under the seat, held it up in the window, chambered a round and instantly the driver burned rubber and took a gravel road to get away.

That's the only time I've pulled a gun when I thought I might need it, and that guy was smart enough to see what I was doing in the rear view mirror.

IMO, brandishing a gun in this situation (whether legal or not) was over the line. I see nothing wrong with grabbing your Glock from under the seat and keeping it in your hand, ready to see what he does next. But, taking the gun out, showing him you are armed, and chambering a round (why isn't your gun loaded in the first place), seems to me like we are not hearing the whole story here, and more importantly makes you look like you were, in fact, the one showing a case of road rage.
    What would you have done if, when you showed him your gun he took a gun out and showed you his? Would you two have gotten into a pissing, I mean shooting contest?

I was in a similar situation once, I was in a hurry in the downtown area where I live, parked in a permit only spot for a business, and went in to my doctors office. When I came out, to my surprise, there was a Chevy Malibu parked right up against my back bumper and a middle aged man getting out of the driver's seat. I said "Sir I'm sorry, I..." "NOPE :xmad:, I am tired of you A**holes parking in my MF***, ****".... You get the picture.

He was really angry, so angry in fact he probably wanted to punch me, I was blocked in, I had no where to go. Did I draw on him, (re-chamber another round), and say "Move or I'll shoot", NOPE. I was, however, if the situation escalated prepared to call the police. And that's what you should have done. :twocents: You both were in separate cars, far enough away from each other that this could have been done very easily. I don't know about you, but I would have gotten much more pleasure out of that ordeal by seeing him get pulled over a few miles down the road and questioned for 30 minutes than I would have gotten by flexing my steel muscle, and thinking "Oh yeeaahhh, F*ckin' Wiatt Erp!" :draw:

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    I will not sit and ponder absurd theoretical scenarios with you that can range from a gun being pointed out the window to using a car as a battering ram, because that's not what happened. However as I drove home yesterday someone honked their horn at me, fortunately this thread has illustrated to me that I was in obvious danger. ;)

So you can't answer a simple question?

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    IMO, brandishing a gun in this situation (whether legal or not) was over the line. I see nothing wrong with grabbing your Glock from under the seat and keeping it in your hand, ready to see what he does next. But, taking the gun out, showing him you are armed, and chambering a round (why isn't your gun loaded in the first place), seems to me like we are not hearing the whole story here, and more importantly makes you look like you were, in fact, the one showing a case of road rage.
    What would you have done if, when you showed him your gun he took a gun out and showed you his? Would you two have gotten into a pissing, I mean shooting contest?

I was in a similar situation once, I was in a hurry in the downtown area where I live, parked in a permit only spot for a business, and went in to my doctors office. When I came out, to my surprise, there was a Chevy Malibu parked right up against my back bumper and a middle aged man getting out of the driver's seat. I said "Sir I'm sorry, I..." "NOPE :xmad:, I am tired of you A**holes parking in my MF***, ****".... You get the picture.

He was really angry, so angry in fact he probably wanted to punch me, I was blocked in, I had no where to go. Did I draw on him, (re-chamber another round), and say "Move or I'll shoot", NOPE. I was, however, if the situation escalated prepared to call the police. And that's what you should have done. :twocents: You both were in separate cars, far enough away from each other that this could have been done very easily. I don't know about you, but I would have gotten much more pleasure out of that ordeal by seeing him get pulled over a few miles down the road and questioned for 30 minutes than I would have gotten by flexing my steel muscle, and thinking "Oh yeeaahhh, F*ckin' Wiatt Erp!" :draw:

WAit, you wanna use an example where you were clearly in the wrong to condemn another person for taking the steps he took to protect himself against the aggressor?

How does that even relate?

SHEEPdOHdoubleG

Plinker
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 20, 2011
    East Central Indiana
    I was in the wrong. I admit that, but me accidentally parking in a permit spot that was poorly marked and him aggressively telling me he is going to beat my A$$ is different. It was an honest mistake. If anything, I deserved my car towed. I did not deserve to be yelled at, cursed at, harassed, and threatened.

And you are right, these are two different scenarios. One being, DownByTheTracks was not in immediate danger, (immediate: being one step away from being injured) they both were in their cars. I am not in any way shape or form a "Hot Head", so for me to pull my gun and brandish it while chambering a round in clear sight of the so-called "aggressor", It would take more than the person stopping on a road, (which is all the "aggressor" must have done to make this person feel 'trapped and threatened' judging by his post.

That's the only time I've pulled a gun when I thought I might need it, and that guy was smart enough to see what I was doing in the rear view mirror.

From my experience with road rage (my brother in law is a hot head) it usually takes two in order to get to where these two parties got.

My point through all of this was, calling the police would have (IMO) been the best alternative.

I feel that I am entitled to my opinion on how to responsibly handle a potentially threatening situation and you (as well as everyone else) are as well. I just couldn't justify pulling my gun and being "willing to pull the trigger" over a case of road rage, even if it was just the other driver who was raging.
    (History just tells me that road rage usually is quickly stifled by ignoring the party in the wrong... it only escalates when you retaliate)

Call me practical I guess!

Hoosierdood

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 2, 2010
    North of you
    Google returned; Troll: An individual who disagrees with the consensus on INGO. :)

You sir are a class act. Almost without fail, every one of your posts comes off with a condescending tone. I would guess that around 90% of your posts utilize the 'roll eyes' smiley (I haven't counted your posts. It's just a guess). Throughout your posts you have painted INGO as a forum for individuals plagued by paranoia and ignorance. If you can't get along with others and have a conversation without being rude, then just leave. I wonder...if you believe that INGO is full of tinfoil hatters, paranoids, and ignorant, uneducated fools - why do you continue to visit?

Here is a sampling of your posts just in this particular thread:

Oh my the paranoia on INGO has spread to ass rape.

(This quote was not made in this thread, but I felt it conveyed your condescending tone quite well.)
    I will not sit and ponder absurd theoretical scenarios with you that can range from a gun being pointed out the window to using a car as a battering ram, because that's not what happened. However as I drove home yesterday someone honked their horn at me, fortunately this thread has illustrated to me that I was in obvious danger. ;)
    "Chambered a round" as stated by poster. So if I stand on the street in front of your house and "chamber a round" you will wave at me and wish me a good day because that is not menacing? Puhlease:rolleyes: The context of the debates on this forum are laughable at times.
    Brandish too big a word for ya? I bet u ran to google to get definition, if not you should.
    So you brandished a gun to someone who was not polite to you?:rolleyes:

Patternpimp

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 24, 2011
    Columbus, IN
    You sir are a class act. Almost without fail, every one of your posts comes off with a condescending tone. I would guess that around 90% of your posts utilize the 'roll eyes' smiley (I haven't counted your posts. It's just a guess). Throughout your posts you have painted INGO as a forum for individuals plagued by paranoia and ignorance. If you can't get along with others and have a conversation without being rude, then just leave. I wonder...if you believe that INGO is full of tinfoil hatters, paranoids, and ignorant, uneducated fools - why do you continue to visit?

Here is a sampling of your posts just in this particular thread:

I find your obsession with me to be disturbing, please stop stalking me.:) A nice smile for you.

PlinKing2392

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 3, 2011
    Avon
    Wow, simply wow.

I read every post on this thread and I am amazed at some of my fellow Hoosiers.

1. This is a thread about different experiences with self defense, be it pulling, firing, showing, or even telling someone directly that you have a firearm and are willing to use it.

2. Asking someone about a situation is perfectly acceptable, tearing them apart over how they handled themselves in a stressful situation is not. Try offering helpful advice, even if you disagree, saying "your wrong" doesn't help anyone. By all means, share your opinion, but be respectful.

3. Why sink to someone's level and revert to petty name calling and tongue lashing. I am a firm "Golden Rule"er and believe that if you can't say something intelligent, don't open your mouth, or in this case, keyboard. If someone wants to act sound like an idiot, let them. You are only doing yourself a disservice by repeatedly responding, and making yourself look just as bad, if not worse.

4. (and final point) I joined this forum and read this thread to gain knowledge about firearms, training, carry issues, etc. Not to debate if someone is insensitive or ignorant or just plain mean. I appreciate, and thank all of the members that posted stories and stayed on topic in this thread. It has shown me that I really need to go through some training before I start carrying.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    Wow, simply wow.

1. This is a thread about different experiences with self defense, be it pulling, firing, showing, or even telling someone directly that you have a firearm and are willing to use it.

2. Asking someone about a situation is perfectly acceptable, tearing them apart over how they handled themselves in a stressful situation is not. Try offering helpful advice, even if you disagree, saying "your wrong" doesn't help anyone. By all means, share your opinion, but be respectful.

3. Why sink to someone's level and revert to petty name calling and tongue lashing. I am a firm "Golden Rule"er and believe that if you can't say something intelligent, don't open your mouth, or in this case, keyboard. If someone wants to act sound like an idiot, let them. You are only doing yourself a disservice by repeatedly responding, and making yourself look just as bad, if not worse.

4. (and final point) I joined this forum and read this thread to gain knowledge about firearms, training, carry issues, etc. Not to debate if someone is insensitive or ignorant or just plain mean. I appreciate, and thank all of the members that posted stories and stayed on topic in this thread. It has shown me that I really need to go through some training before I start carrying.

Good post and wise decision. :yesway: +1

ViperJock

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Feb 28, 2011
    Fort Wayne-ish
    Noone but DownByTheTracks was there. Perhaps the full threat of the situation was not made manifest by the post. I have been in situations where I felt very threatened only to sound like a paranoid pansy to myself when I told the story later.

Bottom line, you weren't there. Cut the guy some slack.

EvilKidsMeal

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Feb 11, 2010
    Highland
    Noone but DownByTheTracks was there. Perhaps the full threat of the situation was not made manifest by the post. True and good point
    I have been in situations where I felt very threatened only to sound like a paranoid pansy to myself when I told the story later.
    I have as well

Bottom line, you weren't there. Cut the guy some slack.

Well said and repped!

Hayseed_40

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    Strongbadia
    Wow, simply wow.

Can we all get a big group hug? Just joking - please do not get offended. You are right in that we should be civil towards each other.

What if someone is wrong - why not say "you are wrong"? Say it in a respectful way - but say "you are wrong". No PC sugar coating. That is how we can learn and benefit each other.

This petty troll stuff, I assume you are referring to, is annoying sometimes but we thicken up and glance over.

Based on what he has chosen to post, I see DBT was wrong. I think sheepdoggydog had a good post.

I think too many visualize that pulling a gun is some how heroic. It is not. I have never pulled my gun in an legally or morally unjustified manner. But everytime I left feely a little naseous. If your brain is firing on all cylinders, you will realize that you had someone's life in your hands - whether or not they chose to put themselves in that situation by their actions. Dirty butt or not - they are human and you have their life in the balance. I know I have made the right choice, but each time, it did not feel rewarding. The only thing is that it was satisfying in knowing I am going home to hug my family again.

Anti-flame suit: The above was a general rant and not directed towards DBT.

PlinKing2392

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 3, 2011
    Avon
    Can we all get a big group hug? Just joking - please do not get offended. You are right in that we should be civil towards each other.

What if someone is wrong - why not say "you are wrong"? Say it in a respectful way - but say "you are wrong". No PC sugar coating. That is how we can learn and benefit each other.

I'm down for the group hug, and I'm not at all offended. As far as saying "you are wrong," please, by all means, tell me I'm wrong when I am, but explain to me why, otherwise, I will not have learned anything. That was my point, but I had already made the post long enough :D.

Again, no offense taken, and the previous post was not directed at anyone. I just got kind of sick of hearing people argue about things, then attack each other personally on a thread I was trying to learn from.

Rating - 100%
    42   0   0
    Apr 14, 2011
    Reality
    I searched my yard late one night, examining for a cracking branch sound behind me with a .357 S&W - and my parents Doberman... Never had to do more than let the dog out probably...

Top Bottom