• Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • In what manner have you deployed your firearm for self defense?

• Total voters

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    if you're at a point where step 1:revealing the weapon Step2: placing your hand on it Step 3: pulling from the holster step 4: aiming at the target.....DOES NOT stop his advance....a warning shot really is not necessary IMO...you have reasobly presented your intentions to protect yourself and for me step 5: he's dying...period

Patternpimp

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 24, 2011
    Columbus, IN
    I was heading to work one day and a large pickup truck was showing a case of road rage. He ended up blocking the road I was on, giving me now means of escape except backwards. I pulled a Glock 22 from under the seat, held it up in the window, chambered a round and instantly the driver burned rubber and took a gravel road to get away.

That's the only time I've pulled a gun when I thought I might need it, and that guy was smart enough to see what I was doing in the rear view mirror.

So you brandished a gun to someone who was not polite to you?:rolleyes:

EvilKidsMeal

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Feb 11, 2010
    Highland
    So you brandished a gun to someone who was not polite to you?:rolleyes:

I don't know about you but i would have certainly felt some danger if a guy in a big truck is driving erradically and then intentionally blocking off the street in front of me so that i was blocked in with no escape but backwards. and especially if this happened on a road where there is not enough space to turn around. that would be a scary situation no matter who/where/and time of day.

it doesn't sound like the road rage guy blocked the poster personally, more just raging in general, but you never know, and it certainly could happen.

im not saying that showing the gun was a good idea, but it worked in a situation where the poster felt in the heat of the moment it was necessary.

heres one to think about: what would you do if the man blocked you and then got out of his car and started walking towards you? that would certainly elevate the danger factor whether he has a weapon or not. at that point he's not asking you for directions, because blocking you from continuing, to me, constitutes as very threatening.

I don't see road rage and blocking someone from driving on as simply an impolite gesture. that is a threatening situation that could elevate very quickly. :twocents:

Last edited:

Patternpimp

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 24, 2011
    Columbus, IN
    I don't know about you but i would have certainly felt some danger if a guy in a big truck is driving erradically and then intentionally blocking off the street in front of me so that i was blocked in with no escape but backwards. and especially if this happened on a road where there is not enough space to turn around. that would be a scary situation no matter who/where/and time of day.

it doesn't sound like the road rage guy blocked the poster personally, more just raging in general, but you never know, and it certainly could happen.

im not saying that showing the gun was a good idea, but it worked in a situation where the poster felt in the heat of the moment it was necessary.

heres one to think about: what would you do if the man blocked you and then got out of his car and started walking towards you? that would certainly elevate the danger factor whether he has a weapon or not. at that point he's not asking you for directions, because blocking you from continuing, to me, constitutes as very threatening.

I don't see road rage and blocking someone from driving on as simply an impolite gesture. that is a threatening situation that could elevate very quickly. :twocents:

Approaching the car is an escalation that may warrant a display. However not the scenario detailed.

EvilKidsMeal

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Feb 11, 2010
    Highland
    Approaching the car is an escalation that may warrant a display. However not the scenario detailed.

the point is it very well could have happened and the poster did not want it to get that far if it would have. you never know what a situation will escalate to (hindsight is 20/20, but you are blind if its too late for that)

and as said indiana has no "brandishing" codes and he did not point the gun at the guy therefore no criminal action on his part.

Last edited:

EvilKidsMeal

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Feb 11, 2010
    Highland
    Brandish too big a word for ya? I bet u ran to google to get definition, if not you should.

theres no reason for that attitude. we understand what brandish means, however the simple fact of the matter is that indiana has no codes pertaining to "brandishing" specifically, pointing a weapon, yes, but simply showing it to someone, no.

the poster said he put it up to the window. he did not wave it around he simply let the man in the truck know that he had it....not illegal

there was a news related youtube video i saw on here some time ago where a man, i believe in indiana (can't remember) was at an atm after work and a man came up to his car window and demanded his money. needless to say the man in the car was armed, pulled his gun and made sure the perp could see it and what did he do?........he simply said NO while showing his weapon. the perp ran away and the man had done absolutely nothing illegal. they interviewed him and he was free to go on home.

Last edited:

Patternpimp

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 24, 2011
    Columbus, IN
    theres no reason for that attitude. we understand what brandish means, however the simple fact of the matter is that indiana has no codes pertaining to "brandishing" specifically, pointing a weapon, yes, but simply showing it to someone, no.

the poster said he put it up to the window. he did not wave it around he simply let the man in the truck know that he had it....not illegal

there was a news related youtube video i saw on here some time ago where a man, i believe in indiana (can't remember) was at an atm after work and a man came up to his car window and demanded his money. needless to say the man in the car was armed, pulled his gun and made sure the perp could see it and what did he do?........he simply said NO while showing his weapon. the perp ran away and the man had done absolutely nothing illegal. they interviewed him and he was free to go on home.

When did I state or infer the poster broke the law? Brandish; to wield, wave, flourish, handle, flaunt, show off. The gun was brandished.:D

EvilKidsMeal

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Feb 11, 2010
    Highland
    When did I state or infer the poster broke the law? Brandish; to wield, wave, flourish, handle, flaunt, show off. The gun was brandished.:D

actually brandishing is waving or showing (as in a weapon) in a menacing manner.... nothing about the definition of brandishing is simply holding it, waving, showing, etc. the definition specifically pertains to a menacing, threatening, or aggressive manner.....

please don't tell someone else to google something that you have not done so yourself :twocents:

"brandishing" in the context in which you wrote that original reply indicated that "brandishing" was illegal.

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    Brandish too big a word for ya? I bet u ran to google to get definition, if not you should.

And you should learn some manners.

So the angry dude can only escalate a situation by exiting his own vehicle AND approaching the other? Or for that matter, the innocent should wait until that happens before he attempts to de-escalate and/or level the playing field?

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    I live by the school that if you see my gun someone is probably getting shot. If your mindset isn't "I'm going to pull the trigger" the gun shouldn't even come out.

No, if your mindset isn't "I'm willing to pull the trigger" the gun shouldn't even come out. I don't know about you, but I don't really want to let a situation get so out of control that actually firing at the threat is my only option. Moreover, I don't want to have to use the limited amount of time available to me if it does become necessary to pull the trigger by going through all the motions of unholstering, making ready, and aiming. I see nothing but tactical advantage to be able to do that before the threat has to be stopped with greater force.

If I can avoid the discharge and still end the threat, why wouldn't I?

Patternpimp

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 24, 2011
    Columbus, IN
    actually brandishing is waving or showing (as in a weapon) in a menacing manner.... nothing about the definition of brandishing is simply holding it, waving, showing, etc. the definition specifically pertains to a menacing, threatening, or aggressive manner.....

please don't tell someone else to google something that you have not done so yourself :twocents:

"brandishing" in the context in which you wrote that original reply indicated that "brandishing" was illegal.

"Chambered a round" as stated by poster. So if I stand on the street in front of your house and "chamber a round" you will wave at me and wish me a good day because that is not menacing? Puhlease:rolleyes: The context of the debates on this forum are laughable at times.

Patternpimp

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 24, 2011
    Columbus, IN
    And you should learn some manners.

So the angry dude can only escalate a situation by exiting his own vehicle AND approaching the other? Or for that matter, the innocent should wait until that happens before he attempts to de-escalate and/or level the playing field?

I fail to see how the scenario painted the man in the truck as angry, no words exchanged he didn't even flip the bird. Unless more details emerge the man in the truck was a prick at best. Because you are a lady I will be polite in any posts to you. Anyone else can take their chances.

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green

And I merely pointed out to you that there is NOTHING illegal about Brandishing in the State of Indiana.

If your only counter is to insult me, I have been called far worse by Persons far better off than you. :popcorn:

.452browning

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    I have never drawn a weapon and fired, however, I have made the fact that I was armed to deter a threat. I was transfering from my wheelchair to truck seat around midnight at a gas station. I noticed a man acting unusual on the other side of the station. He approached to about 30 feet away and stood there staring at me silent. I asked if I could help him with something and he remained silent. He took a couple more steps towards me and I said "why don't you stay right there please". He still didnt say anything and then stepped forward another 5 feet. I then with authority in my voice said "sir, do not come any closer to me". As he took another step forward I raised my shirt and placed my hand on my handgun without drawing it from the holster and he turned and ran.

I don't know if he was mentally unstable or if he was cracked out, but being armed definately detered something I believe. And I no longer go to gas stations that late unless I absolutely have to.

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    I fail to see how the scenario painted the man in the truck as angry, no words exchanged he didn't even flip the bird. Unless more details emerge the man in the truck was a prick at best. Because you are a lady I will be polite in any posts to you. Anyone else can take their chances.

Road RAGE. And it's not even a big word. :rolleyes:

Edit: wow. Way to deflect. I almost fell for it. Whether or not the man in the given scenario was actually intent on doing some diabolical has become somewhat moot. The discussion has moved to the theoretical. Your argument hinges on an illogical standard which says the only form of escalation that validates the use of a firearm is the road rage driver exiting his vehicle and approaching the other driver in a menacing manner while clearly conveying an intent to harm.

I questioned the logical nature of that assumption by posing a query about the possibility of a driver who has previously exhibited road rage escalating the situation without actually exiting his vehicle? Now, do you think it's possible for a driver to escalate a situation without exiting the vehicle to the point where another driver would feel the need to bring a firearm into the equation?

Last edited:

Patternpimp

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 24, 2011
    Columbus, IN
    Road RAGE. And it's not even a big word. :rolleyes:

Edit: wow. Way to deflect. I almost fell for it. Whether or not the man in the given scenario was actually intent on doing some diabolical has become somewhat moot. The discussion has moved to the theoretical. Your argument hinges on an illogical standard which says the only form of escalation that validates the use of a firearm is the road rage driver exiting his vehicle and approaching the other driver in a menacing manner while clearly conveying an intent to harm.

I questioned the logical nature of that assumption by posing a query about the possibility of a driver who has previously exhibited road rage escalating the situation without actually exiting his vehicle? Now, do you think it's possible for a driver to escalate a situation without exiting the vehicle to the point where another driver would feel the need to bring a firearm into the equation?

I will not sit and ponder absurd theoretical scenarios with you that can range from a gun being pointed out the window to using a car as a battering ram, because that's not what happened. However as I drove home yesterday someone honked their horn at me, fortunately this thread has illustrated to me that I was in obvious danger. ;)

Top Bottom