Self Defense Ammo Choices For Compact 9mm?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    ... Glock 43 - 3.39" ...

As you know, modern JHPs are designed to perform optimally within a fuzzy velocity envelope, and velocity is fuzzily related barrel length - the issue here being, at some short barrel length, the velocity of the bullet may drop such that optimal performance becomes less reliable.

Per Doc Roberts [1] the rule of thumb length for 9mm is 3.5". So, if one is interested on consistent optimal performance with shorter barrels you can either pick a load intended for short barrels (for which published short barrel tests are available), or personally test loads that you're interested in with your particular barrel (barrels run fast or slow - lots of loads may perform just fine).

All this is fuzzy and load dependent.

Another option would be a threaded or extended barrel for the G43 [2]. Then you could just run just about any proven load that functions reliably in your firearm.

[1] - https://www.ar15.com/ammo/project/Self_Defense_Ammo_FAQ/#BARREL LENGTH
    [2] - example - Glock 43 Threaded Barrel | XCaliber Firearms LLC

pudly

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Nov 12, 2008
    Undisclosed
    Per Doc Roberts [1] the rule of thumb length for 9mm is 3.5". So, if one is interested on consistent optimal performance with shorter barrels you can either pick a load intended for short barrels (for which published short barrel tests are available), or personally test loads that you're interested in with your particular barrel (barrels run fast or slow - lots of loads may perform just fine).

Or you could hundreds of dollars, many hours and a lot of hassle by watching videos of someone who has done the work for you:

9mm Ammo Quest

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I've been a fan of Corbon DPX for some time. I carry 185gr DPX's in 45.

Any INGOers have any experience with this load in a short barreled 9mm?

946392.jpg

[video=youtube;mVq5OO0TVMM]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mVq5OO0TVMM&list=PLgNSGOEQko_M90AMdRCDMgd-w4Yozc27i&index=8[/video]

pudly

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Nov 12, 2008
    Undisclosed
    I've never seen a manufacturer recommend +P+. It is very high pressure with no standards, so they couldn't stand behind their gun. Check your manual or the manufacturer web site to see if your gun is okay for +P, which has defined upper pressure limits.

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    Kind of off topic, but kinda along the same lines. Would you guys recommend, or suggest P+ or +P+ through a sig 228?

He careful with the +p stuff. Making a bullet go faster is not always better. Some bullet designs expand TOO fast and don't penetrate far enough when they go faster. The Ammo Quest videos linked in this thread give a few examples.

Snapdragon

know-it-all tart
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NW Indiana
    Hornady ZombieMax is the same as Critical Defense except for the color and is usually a bit less expensive, if you don't mind fluorescent green tips instead of red.

raptrbreth

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Feb 20, 2013
    New Palestine
    I don't carry a 9mm but I use Ranger T if it can be found. HST as a backup. I don't think if you choose either you'll be wrong as accuracy matters more.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    The Ammo Quest guy really likes the Gold Dot 124gr +P loadings for performance. He tested the regular ones and the short barrel version.
    ??? Oddly, his testing showed absolutely no difference in the two... Hmmm... :n00b:

[video=youtube;VjRcV0eTohs]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VjRcV0eTohs[/video]

HE seemed to imply that the extra power of the +P loading was necessary to achieve enough velocity for bullet expansion in short barrels.

NyleRN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Dec 14, 2013
    Scottsburg
    I have HST's also. 124gr in my shield and 147gr in the vp9. I've shot several mags through each gun to verify reliability. I chose the 124gr for the shield because it's more accurate with them vs the 147gr. The vp9 shoots both great so I went with the heavier projectile for it.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    It's almost like its a marketing trick...

You know, if your name is Speer, why not?
    As the guy states, he's very happy with the cartridge's performance in "both configurations?" Could be the only difference is the ink to print "Short Barrel" on the box???

Kmocao

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 30, 2015
    Somewhar in the Bush
    Good luck finding 124gr +p 9mm Gold Dots anywhere around here. Only place I've seen them for sale is online so far. Same goes with the Hornady Critical Defense/Duty rounds. I may just be getting unlucky, but nobody has these in stock whenever I check.

Top Bottom