Self Defense Ammo: Call me crazy but....

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Gunslinger45

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 2, 2013
    Has anyone else seen this "new" ammo Multiple Impact Bullet Technology essentially it's a pistol bolo round. I get it, but I'm not buying what theyre selling. It seems very gimmicky and idk about the rest of you, but I wouldn't bet my life on this ammo. It looks impressive on paper targets but I would really like to see tests against gel, and clothing. I guess it would still work, however to me it seems like the fragmentation of the round after x-yards would just key hole and tangle and maybe not penetrate?? I don't know. Neat concept, but would people really buy into this for real SD?? I feel safer with 3 147g rounds on target than 3 fragments. JMO, YMMV. What do you guys think??

rockhopper46038

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    89   0   0
    May 4, 2010
    Fishers
    They're charging A LOT. I saw 10 round packs for $50, and 50 round packs for something like $200+. Almost impossible to practice with and validate performance in YOUR weapon for that much. But, if it were to perform as the company intimates in their advertising, it might be worth it when your life or the life of others is on the line. I'm sticking with SD cartridges proven to be reliable in my firearms for now.

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    Interesting concept, but I'm not sure I'm ready to buy ammo from a website that has CAD renderings of the ammo, rather than pictures of the real thing, shown on its site.

Gunslinger45

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 2, 2013
    New Ammo Technology For Self Defense, ATF Approved ! weaponseducation - YouTube found this too. This guy eats it up... 2 things: 1.) The main sales pitch focus's on "a larger diameter so if you pull a shot high or low etc, you still have back up shot" So basically their pitch is, practice less! Buy our ammo instead! and 2.) It bothers me that you send a person to sell your idea but he doesn't use the correct terminology. It is "centripetal force" not "centrifical force".....Minor detail but still. If you're relying on science as your argument, please get it right.

Last edited:
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2013
    Wabash
    Oh my! I think I will stick with proven SD ammunition from established, reputable manufacturers and rely on my training to put them where they need to be.

MikeDVB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 9, 2012
    Morgan County
    The people that are on the '45 ACP is a man-stopper and 9mm isn't' bandwagon aren't going to like this product... It takes your 45 ACP and splits it into 3 smaller pieces.

If you were going to do that wouldn't it be better to just carry a .22 and make three distinct aimed shots?

McGraw

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 1, 2013
    Brockton
    I would not trust this ammo for SD. You don't know what the situation will be when you need to defend yourself and who may be around. I want one bullet leaving my gun going where I sent it. You can't call bullets back and to me this seems like it would improve the chances of my shot striking something unintended. Also as others have said at the cost how can you afford to put enough rounds down range to know they fragment consistently and reliably?

Tombs

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Martinsville
    [video=youtube;o6FYr0N3xt8]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o6FYr0N3xt8[/video]

Here's my guess, first time a gel test is tried:
    1.) The strings manage to hold, it digs one petal in an inch or two and the other petals bounce off the block.
    2.) The strings fail and one petal travels the entire length of the block while the others zip off into wonder land.

Either case this is a laughably bad idea. The only thing I've seen unconventional that looks promising is LeHigh's controlled fracturing stuff.
    105gr +P Controlled Fracturing 9mm! Lehigh Defense's High Power Machined Hollowpoint - YouTube

wildddw

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 6, 2013
    Huntington
    New Ammo Technology For Self Defense, ATF Approved ! weaponseducation - YouTube found this too. This guy eats it up... 2 things: 1.) The main sales pitch focus's on "a larger diameter so if you pull a shot high or low etc, you still have back up shot" So basically their pitch is, practice less! Buy our ammo instead! and 2.) It bothers me that you send a person to sell your idea but he doesn't use the correct terminology. It is "centripetal force" not "centrifical force".....Minor detail but still. If you're relying on science as your argument, please get it right.

not a minor detail in my eyes!

netsecurity

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 14, 2011
    Hancock County
    The main problem I see is that you will NOT hit what you are aiming at. Only the string thing, and probably a tiny bit of plastic is in the center. The bullet itself splits out in three pieces, each seven inches from the center where you are aiming! In that way it seems to make it more likely to miss a direct kill zone on your target. If it had an equal amount of bullet in the center, then it would be more useful IMO.

And what if you have a hostage situation and need to make a clean head shot? You can't aim at the center of the bad guys head, because you'd hit the friendly, so you'd have to aim out in the air next to his head--or more likely just not be able to safely take the shot. Same situation as a shotgun with buckshot I suppose, just the wrong tool for the job.

One neat thing is that the bullet is supposed to pull itself back together after so many feet, and in that way reduce the chances of hitting bystanders. They also make it clear that you should use normal hollow points for follow up shots, and only use these for the first shot or two. I would rather keep such ammo in a separate magazine in case I decide to turn my pistol into a shotgun for some reason...like maybe if I encounter a gang of ninjas or wild dogs.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Michael.
    Top Bottom