Self Defense Ammo: Call me crazy but....

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • EdC

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 12, 2008
    Speedway, IN
    At around 7 minutes in he says that "The statistics just show that most people miss when they fire a gun in a life threating situation"

The concept the maker is advancing is that you load maybe one or two of these rounds, because the first shots are the most critical, and most people miss on the first shots. I'm not so sure that's correct.

Anyway, he says that once one of the pieces hits the target, the other two are pulled back (or "vector in"), and hit the target as well. Otherwise, and looking at some of the paper targets where they celebrate the spread, you could aim center mass, and just the plastic center would be a center hit-the real bullets land way off center mass.

As to cost, he's saying that two boxes (20 rounds, $100) is a lifetime supply, you don't need this to practice. Personally, I like to put 50-100 rounds of whatever self defense ammo I'm going to use through my pistols to make sure it works reliably in that particular firearm.

It's an interesting product, I'll say that much. I can't see myself ever using it though.

Last edited:

nashfred01

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 17, 2012
    Bloomington
    Seems like frangible rounds have been all the buzz recently regarding SD rounds, but for now I'll stay with what I have. Very interesting to read about though!

Slapstick

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 29, 2010
    After watching the video's if I'm ever attacked by paper or watermelons I might want it but in the watermelon vid the round only penetrated 1 piece of 5/8 plywood at 12 yards and stopped halfway trough the back piece. And is you look at the box the steal reinforcing was only at the corners holding the box together. I guess it could be useful in apartments but I wouldn't bet on it stopping anything but paper and fruit.

Last edited:

Hohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    USA
    Bad design for several reasons:

- the radial spread all but stops the spinning of the projectile; it will knuckleball through the air.
    - penetration will be very poor. Cutting through paper and penetrating human flesh nd bone-- through thick clothing or leather-- are not comparable.

in return for an astronomical price, you get terrible accuracy, poor penetration, and low terminal effectiveness.

i'll stick with FTX bullets or gold dots and learning to hit the broadside of a barn.

sorry for iPhone typos

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    Seems like frangible rounds have been all the buzz recently regarding SD rounds, but for now I'll stay with what I have. Very interesting to read about though!

Frangibles are nice if you miss, but bad if you hit (although that new fracturing round in the video looks good). Read just about any study done by the FBI, etc. and they will always include penetration. Remember that if you are shooting in self defense, you are probably shooting at someone that is fully clothed, and probably in some heavy layers at that, and the first thing you have to do is get through those garments before you even being to do tissue damage.

Those of us that hunt know the importance of doing massive vascular damage for a quick incapacitating shot, and the only way to reliably do that is with good penetration.

Polished515

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 25, 2012
    Muncie
    Only way this would come in handy IMO is if it were a situation where you had to arm a bunch of people who had no accuracy training and that I pray is never a situation any of us are in. I'm talking SHTF, a large pack of neverwolves are heading our way and I can't take them out alone, here take this and just fire towards them until you run out of ammo. Really really stupid this only happens in bad movies kind of crap.
    And by all of that what I really mean is... this is BS.

Hohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    USA
    The other elements of terminal perfornance are all secondary to penetration. If you can't reliably get 12" (or your personal minimum), then expansion, etc are moot.

Top Bottom