• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 14, 2014
    warsaw
    I have been getting into prepping, little by little, and most supplies and skills I have taken care of. The one thing I haven't found much advice on how to procure is antibiotics. Does anybody have advice on how to get them and store them? Any information would be very appreciated. Thanks!

Falkin88

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 6, 2010
    Believe I've seen it covered before but it is possible to use fish antibiotics in place of what you'd be prescribed. However, I have heard some horror stories on this so do your research beforehand and decide for yourself. As an individual allergic to most common antibiotics I've found your body will do a pretty decent job of fighting most things off if you let it but I do understand the need for them as well.

Snapdragon

know-it-all tart
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NW Indiana
    Ok, out of my element here as I'm not a hard-core prepper, but maybe this will help a bit. Every time someone in my family is sick and needs an antibiotic, we always ask for a refill. Then after the first course is used up, we pick up the refill and save it for those times when we need it but can't get to the doctor.

BogWalker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 5, 2013
    Ok, out of my element here as I'm not a hard-core prepper, but maybe this will help a bit. Every time someone in my family is sick and needs an antibiotic, we always ask for a refill. Then after the first course is used up, we pick up the refill and save it for those times when we need it but can't get to the doctor.
    I think that's some sort of illegal, but we've used a similar method with success. There's professional medical experience in the family though.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 14, 2014
    warsaw

we have done this at my house with other types of meds, but never with antibiotics. I was under the impression they were fragile and had a short shelf life.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Another solution is the use of more natural alternatives. For example, Oregano oil is an effective antibiotic and I can attest to its effectiveness from experience.

Bunnykid68

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Mar 2, 2010
    Cave of Caerbannog
    we have done this at my house with other types of meds, but never with antibiotics. I was under the impression they were fragile and had a short shelf life.

Shelf life of the scrip of amoxicillin I have right now is good for a year in container it came in. Add some desiccant or O2 absorbers and vacuum seal it should get another year at least. And in a SHTF scenario, 5 year old antibiotics are better than zero antibiotics

45fan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 20, 2011
    East central IN
    Another solution is the use of more natural alternatives. For example, Oregano oil is an effective antibiotic and I can attest to its effectiveness from experience.

This. In a true SHTF scenario, it would be difficult at best to rely on modern medications to keep you going. Short term it could be a viable resource, but for how long? Best bet is to do the research, and know what naturally occurring sources for the medications you need are in your area. If there isnt a naturally occurring source, the next step would be looking to something that is not native to your area, but still reasonable to be able to cultivate in your environment. Modern medicine is a wonderful thing, but when modern convenience is not available, and supply chains shut down, it would be much simpler to rely on personal knowledge than luck in finding what you need to survive.

Enkrypter

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Dec 27, 2011
    Somewhere
    I book marked these sites a while ago..

Seasoned Citizen Prepper » How To Use Fish-Mox (to treat your sick fish, of course)

Fish antibiotics - Survivalist Forum

THOMAS LAB 001TLMOX-500-100 Fish Mox Forte 500 mg Amoxicillin, 100 Capsules, Non-prescription: Fish : Walmart.com

Antibiotics for SHTF Planning | Ready Nutrition

I haven't dove in yet, because I have a source from which to secure zithromax packs. Also, don't forget about vitamins. Those can be had without hassle, and having a good immune system that can fight off infections is just as important as having antibiotics to treat things after it's been riddled with disease. I keep multi-vitamins on hand as well. Often you can find them on sale in your local walmart dollar bin outside the pharmacy.

spaniel

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 20, 2013
    Lizton
    Take a vacation to Mexico, where you can buy antibiotics without a prescription. We've been there a couple times and bring back a big bottle of amoxicillin.

Medications do lose potency over time, but most last far beyond their stamped expiration date -- especially if protected from moisture and heat. An exception would be tetracycline, which can degrade into a toxic product and should not be taken past expiration.

TwinSix

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 29, 2010
    Indy South Side
    Consider joining us on Feb 24th at 1200 to learn about Essential Oils and their use in a down environment. Oregano and Melalueca are a GREAT combo when fighting infections. The melalueca helps to break down the biofilm that encases the infected cells, and the the oregano comes in and cleans out the infected cells. Learn how these and others are great to have in your preps, and how to use them to their fullest. PM me for more info. Thanks, and Happpy/Safe prepping.

Hoosierkav

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 1, 2012
    South of Indianapolis
    Beat me to it TwinSix. I second the use of oils instead of artificial color and flavor-filled, flora-destroying antibiotics.

Meeting mentioned by TwinSix is at Ella's frozen yogurt, just west of St. Francis Hospital Indianapolis (Stop 11/Emerson).

2ADMNLOVER

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    May 13, 2009
    West side Indy
    I'll second CalVet supply , cheaper than where PN gets hers .

I'm too lazy to look it up but there was a discussion on here some time ago that had a link to a study (by various universities) commissioned by the DOD that concluded that most of the drugs would last 7-10 years past the date on the bottle if stored in a reasonable (not hospital perfect ) manner .

Top Bottom