• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • msuspartan

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 29, 2011
    Fishers
    Here is something to read concerning medicines and their supposed shelf life. An eye opener.
    http://www.terrierman.com/antibiotics-WSJ.htm

I now save ALL my drugs for later.

grunt soldier

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    May 20, 2009
    hamilton county
    You can walk into pretty much any mexican grocery store and buy human antibiotics. No joke I have a lot of friends I have witnessed do this. all over the counter no prescription required. very reasonably priced also.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    You can walk into pretty much any mexican grocery store and buy human antibiotics. No joke I have a lot of friends I have witnessed do this. all over the counter no prescription required. very reasonably priced also.

I've done this myself, and I'll be in mexico next week. The only problem is that once you get back to the US you're supposed to declare anything like that and if found it goes right in the trash (or trunk of TSA agents car).

Enkrypter

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Dec 27, 2011
    Somewhere
    Our bug out bags contain the typical bare essentials, but also Italian seasoning, Cinnamon, and Garlic Powder. All three were specifically chosen for various health reasons and alternate applications.

Cinnamon - What are the health benefits of cinnamon? - Medical News Today
    Italian Seasoning - Cooking Recipes to Love: The Good Nutrition of Italian Seasoning
    Garlic - What are the benefits of garlic? - Medical News Today

Three 3oz. seasoning jars won't break your back and your family will thank you for it once they are tired of eating unflavored fish and rabbit. Eat enough of anything and you will enjoy even Cinnamon on the most mundane things. And it's good for you!

traderdan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 20, 2009
    Martinsville
    Consider joining us on Feb 24th at 1200 to learn about Essential Oils and their use in a down environment. Oregano and Melalueca are a GREAT combo when fighting infections. The melalueca helps to break down the biofilm that encases the infected cells, and the the oregano comes in and cleans out the infected cells. Learn how these and others are great to have in your preps, and how to use them to their fullest. PM me for more info. Thanks, and Happpy/Safe prepping.

My wife uses DoTerra products everyday. I have come to believe these products. They are not a "magic bullet" against infections or diseases, but are very useful in many situations.

KJW

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 31, 2010
    Lamb's Crossing
    I'm a doctor and here's the elephant in the room; 80% of the antibiotics prescribed in the US are for conditions that the doctor knows is most likely viral! In other words, you rarely need antibiotics. Secondly, I can see a strong penchant for herbals and so-called alternatives to antibiotics in the above posts. I don't want to completely dismiss those passions, but again, when 80% of the conditions for which antibiotics are prescribed are viral, and will get better with no care, you need to be careful in concluding that an herbal or other alternative therapy actually helped. Americans are addicted to pills of all kinds. I hope that the self-reliant people on this forum will have the ability to recognize that not every physical ill needs a pill.
    If you have a doctor who gives you refills on antibiotics I'd look for another doctor. I understand that there is practice variation among physicians, but that just seems to really be off the reservation. Antibiotics, just like all medications, are not completely risk free.

9mmfan

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 26, 2011
    Mishawaka
    I'm a doctor and here's the elephant in the room; 80% of the antibiotics prescribed in the US are for conditions that the doctor knows is most likely viral! In other words, you rarely need antibiotics. Secondly, I can see a strong penchant for herbals and so-called alternatives to antibiotics in the above posts. I don't want to completely dismiss those passions, but again, when 80% of the conditions for which antibiotics are prescribed are viral, and will get better with no care, you need to be careful in concluding that an herbal or other alternative therapy actually helped. Americans are addicted to pills of all kinds. I hope that the self-reliant people on this forum will have the ability to recognize that not every physical ill needs a pill.
    If you have a doctor who gives you refills on antibiotics I'd look for another doctor. I understand that there is practice variation among physicians, but that just seems to really be off the reservation. Antibiotics, just like all medications, are not completely risk free.

I work for doctors and we see this all the time. People who refuse to take needed meds but take a dozen vitamins.

TwinSix

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 29, 2010
    Indy South Side

Great Information KJW! many of us do not understand the difference between and Viral Infection and Bacterial. It is nice that you chimed in with excellent testimony regarding the state of our overmedicated society. Coming from a family of 6 that has not had an OTC or Prescription in over 2 years. I encourage you KJW to research more about Essential Oils and Herbal protocols. There are a number of physicians who are beginning to integrate them into their practice for those who are interested in trying something Natural first. We believe there IS a place for Traditional Western Medicine, but love it when we have the options of natural things first. If you are interested, please PM me and I can get you some info and some links to excellent resources (physicians only discussion panel) and other sights on Essential Oil use. Thanks Again for the great post!

BigBoxaJunk

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    East-ish

My father was a Pharmacist, and he always echoed that sentiment. I remember watching him back in the day when Pharmacists did more preparations, weighing out amounts of this and that, mixing syrups, preparing salves, and even making capsules. I don't think us kids ever took antibiotics for colds very often. For my own preps, I mainly concentrate on basic first aid and wound-care supplies. The only "antibiotic" things I have now include things like alcohol and beta-dyne solutions, as those things seem more immediately important from a prepper standpoint.

KJW

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 31, 2010
    Lamb's Crossing
    I'm an ER doctor, so herbals wouldn't be something I'd incorporate into my practice. That would be something that a doctor who has long-term doctor-patient relationships may be able to do, but I generally provide unscheduled, one-time care. Again, I would be cautious about the herbals. A LOT of medical research is poorly designed and carried out, and that is particularly true when those conducting the studies have ANY kind of fiduciary relationship to the makers of the drug/device/herbal being studied. Often those relationships are not clearly disclosed. Having said that, it is true that more than half of the medications in common use have their origins in plants. The main point I want to make is that I wouldn't put much emphasis on stockpiling antibiotics as part of anyone's prepping.

grunt soldier

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    May 20, 2009
    hamilton county
    I've done this myself, and I'll be in mexico next week. The only problem is that once you get back to the US you're supposed to declare anything like that and if found it goes right in the trash (or trunk of TSA agents car).

I mean the Mexican grocery stores here in the states. They are all over the place here in Indiana. They may not sell it directly to a gringo but I have watched several friends do it.

2ADMNLOVER

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    May 13, 2009
    West side Indy
    Seems no one is mentioning honey, which the bees lace with antibiotics (along with other benefits). Keeps practically forever and not hard to store.
    The thing about honey is that much of what the stores stock is quietly imported from China so you have to make sure your getting local , organic / real , bee made honey to get the desired benefits from it .

Top Bottom