• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MrsGungho

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 18, 2008
    East Side
    I went to an information meeting on Cub Scouts with my son a few years back and was ambushed into becoming a den leader. All the kids in the den were busy with sports teams that all took priority over scouting. The rules were so restrictive on what the boys could do at each level my son was bored. The whole pack just fell apart after the first year due to lack of interest. Too many lawsuits over the years to allow the kids to have fun. I joked with the Dad's who were active with the den that we needed to have a rogue version of the Boy Scouts where we could do fun camping trips and go shooting what we want, without permission of the mothership. Don't get me started on the expoitation of child labor to sell that stupid overpriced popcorn to pay the executives and provide profit to Trails End. Not much actually makes it to the boys.

I don't have the figures right in front of me, I just totaled what my son sold last year and how much was used for troop activities and summer camp and at least 60% or more goes back to the scouts. His summer camp was paid for, his yearly dues were paid for, his cost that we need as a troop for badges, camping etc was paid for. My time was all it cost us to have my son in scouts this past year.

I'm sorry your son didn't have fun, this could be one of many things, poor leadership or not understanding the why's of Scouting comes to mind first. It isn't all fun and games. Being a good Scout takes work on the childs side, the parents side and the leaders side. I have been involved in Scouts for 2 years, this is my third. My son has grown a lot and learned a lot and I would recommend it to anyone that has the time to devote to it.

armedindy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 10, 2011
    webelos

My father and the father of one of my friends were the scout leaders when i was in elementary. at the time i might have hated the fact that my dad was there to boss me and my freinds around, but as i look back and see all the good lessons and skills i and my friends learned and retained i realize how grateful i am that my father was involved. i know when i am a parent i will encourage my children to participate in these types of activities. and will gladly be a part of it as well.....it made me realize and relate to all the fun you can have with your dad, family and community and i reflect fondly on those memories...

hooky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 4, 2011
    Central Indiana
    I went to an information meeting on Cub Scouts with my son a few years back and was ambushed into becoming a den leader. All the kids in the den were busy with sports teams that all took priority over scouting. The rules were so restrictive on what the boys could do at each level my son was bored. The whole pack just fell apart after the first year due to lack of interest. Too many lawsuits over the years to allow the kids to have fun. I joked with the Dad's who were active with the den that we needed to have a rogue version of the Boy Scouts where we could do fun camping trips and go shooting what we want, without permission of the mothership. Don't get me started on the expoitation of child labor to sell that stupid overpriced popcorn to pay the executives and provide profit to Trails End. Not much actually makes it to the boys.

This isn't meant to offend, but I'm sure it will. The den is only as good as it's leadership and it's ability to involve the parents. If those two things are both lacking, the boy's experiences will be lacking also.

This is the same with most worthwhile organizations though. It's a good lesson for the boys too.

Cheapdiesel

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    My Grandfather was our Cub Scout leader and they did not even have a Den Father badge he wore a "Den Mother" badge on his uniform and that was way more then 20 years ago.

YETB

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 12, 2011
    Indy - West
    You might want to check out other Packs/Troops in the area. There are probably more than just 1.

We did cub scouts and I was the Assistant Pack Master the last year my son was in - it was MOSTLY fathers with the activities and leading.

My son and I moved onto scouting - and it was ALL Fathers involved. Our particular troop had 5-6 fathers that attended all camp-outs. Very involved.

This year we backed away from scouting - only because we were doing what we normally did as a family (camping - hiking - fishing-canoeing) but with all the rules and pre-trip planning - it was actually keeping our family as a family out of the woods.

That - and earning badges as the motivation to do things, wasn't what we really wanted.

Scouting is great to get kids involved in those things if they don't do them already.

miguel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Oct 24, 2008
    16T
    My son brought home a paper inviting the parents of his school to attend a Scouting meeting. I was never introduced to Scouting as a child and was eager to get my son involved. We went to the meeting last night and of the 20-30 interested kids there, I didn't see any other fathers! Also the leaders of the dens are mothers.

I really thought I would get the opportunity for some male bonding, but I guess that isn't going to happen. Do many of you find that men are lacking when it comes to being involved in Scouting (Cub, Boy, and Eagle) organizations?

Our leadership is all male. (Cubs)

The moms usually show up for the events (camping and pinewood) and they are a blast. The time or two that a mom has showed up to build bird houses, etc. the boys were much more well behaved.

Sign up and be the "hero" dad! Plus you'll get to hang out with chicks and not get in trouble with Mrs. Que! :D

Boiled Owl

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 29, 2010
    Newton Co. !
    Not scouting but I have volunteered to coach and run a little league for 6 years. Coached boys and girls basketball for 5th and 6th grade. My son is 13 and daughter is 15 now they both play sports and are no longer being coached by me. Which is good. They sink or swim on their own. Over the years I did notice the lack of fathers / male role models. It is a sad situation.

Right now I'm truly busy doing anything I can to make or save money. My wife is at home now and shuttles the kids around. Some people who don't know me and who's children are on the teams with mine, might think I'm not involved with my kids lives since they rarely see me but, there has to be a trade off for my wife to be able to stay home.

So I guess, don't judge the situations without knowing. Someone once criticized me saying "you only get on chance to watch your kids grow up". Oddly, this guy was laid off while his wife works three jobs!

Kudos for taking the time to help where and when you can.

My favorite excuse someone used when I asked for help with Little League.
    "I'm looking for a job (been unemployed for 1 year +) and I don't want to commit since I might find a job"

Top Bottom