• ...and so much more!
  • Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    It almost sounds like they are set up to have mothers with the Cub Scouts, but I'm sure that's not a fact.

I volunteered for Big Brother of Indianapolis and several other organizations, even while I was in law school. I quit because 1) the mother(s) confused me with their 'men' and spoke to me like I was the father, and 2) many of the boys had fathers who were at home, but busy. When I examined this, I realized I was trying to make society better by being a positive role model to these boys, but I was neglecting my own children. If that's the case this time, at least my own son will be with me. I will go back to those other programs one day, but that day will be after my own kids are grown.

I will take an active role as a den dad, but I hope I don't get fired. I'm not the kind of dad that allows my children to speak when adults are talking and I was pulling my [STRIKE]hair[/STRIKE] scalp off last night when the leaders were talking and allowing the kids to yell and scream during the presentation.

Do the Scouts have any rules about CCing (don't give me the concealed is concealed mantra) during meetings/outings? The meeting is held at a church with no school, so I'm fine legally, but I'm mostly concerned with restrictions from the Scouting program.

kenjb

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 23, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Yeah, I'm going to have to really consider the options. Having worked with a lot of teens, I have seen these kids that others are talking about in this thread and it's sad.

Speaking as a 26yr Boy Scout volunteer, I can say that scout units are ALWAYS looking for good, reliable, trustworthy adults to help out. Doesn't matter if you have kids in the unit or not. My sons have been out of scouts for over 20 yrs and I still volunteer. (too much fun, you see) Well, my older son (and Eagle) has gotten involved now that his sons are old enough. Neato...

VERT

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    I am a Den Leader for my sons Cub Scout Pack. Seems to be a mix of both Mothers and Fathers who are active in the pack. For the most part the leaders are male. We do have our share of single mothers who bring their boys to the weekly meetings.

Que - I believe that the BSA does not allow firearms at scouting events. Somewhere there is a thread about a scout leader who was killed recently while on a hike. I don't carry to meetings because we meet in a church with a school.

MrsXtremeVel

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Luckily, in my son's troop there are lots of dads. I'm the committee secretary, but I think as the boys get older the men are more involved. (in our case that is) Our troop has boys 12-18yrs.old. I noticed the cubs all have den mom's. I'm just thrilled that all parents take interest! I think Scouts is a great thing. Our son plans on going Eagle. I hope so too, it'll look good on a college resume'. :)

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    I couldn't believe how cheap all the activities are! We pay thousands for karate for our kids, but Cub Scouts looks to be less than $200 total, for all the activities and meetings they have scheduled. AND I get to take my son shooting with them! His eyes lit up when they talked about that. :laugh:

MrsXtremeVel

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    I couldn't believe how cheap all the activities are! We pay thousands for karate for our kids, but Cub Scouts looks to be less than $200 total, for all the activities and meetings they have scheduled. AND I get to take my son shooting with them! His eyes lit up when they talked about that. :laugh:

It's very reasonable! We have fall camporee coming up. Camping at Salamonie Reservoir for the weekend. $10-$15 dollars max. Can't beat that! They have a blast!

Knife Lady

PROUD TO BE AN ARMY BRAT
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 1, 2010
    Central USA
    It is not expensive at all and I checked into it for my nephew. It was like 45 a month and you had to buy the uniform which wasn't much either. Also they do get to shoot guns too. A rifle and a pistol. My nephew would only get to do it for this year (he is 10) then he would have to move up providing he could get all of his badges and since he is in football that might be a little challenging for him. I did meet the leaders and they were all men and very nice. Good program.

Dirtebiker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Feb 13, 2011
    Greenwood
    My son brought home a paper inviting the parents of his school to attend a Scouting meeting. I was never introduced to Scouting as a child and was eager to get my son involved. We went to the meeting last night and of the 20-30 interested kids there, I didn't see any other fathers! Also the leaders of the dens are mothers.

I really thought I would get the opportunity for some male bonding, but I guess that isn't going to happen. Do many of you find that men are lacking when it comes to being involved in Scouting (Cub, Boy, and Eagle) organizations?

Que, yes, men are lacking when it comes to being involved in Scouting, not just Boy Scouts, but Girl Scouts, and about all other extra-curricular activities!
    We have two daughters, no boys! We noticed early on, whether it was school field trips, spring festivals, Scouting, choir,... Whatever.....not only men but women also! It was always the same small group of parents that would volunteer!
    Too many parents( and I use that word loosely!) like to sign their kids up for all the activities, and like to be able to drop them off and let you babysit them!
    By all means, step up, volunteer! Don't count on someone else doing it! It will mean a lot to your son, and to the other boys! They will will always remember you !
    My wife and I volunteered as much as we could while our girls were growing up, and I would do it all again in a heartbeat!
    Time flys, so enjoy your time with your kids while you can! You'll regret it forever if you don't! Our girls are 23 and 19, and the time seriously seems to go faster very year!!!

PistolBob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 6, 2010
    Midwest US
    It is not expensive at all and I checked into it for my nephew. It was like 45 a month and you had to buy the uniform which wasn't much either. Also they do get to shoot guns too. A rifle and a pistol. My nephew would only get to do it for this year (he is 10) then he would have to move up providing he could get all of his badges and since he is in football that might be a little challenging for him. I did meet the leaders and they were all men and very nice. Good program.

Are you talking about scouting?

If he's 10 he's not old enough to be in Boy Scouts, they have to be 11, or in the 6th grade. Cub Scouts is for boys ages 6 to 10. Cubs are not allowed to shoot any pistols, neither are boy scouts. Cubs can shoot BB rifles under trained adult supervision, Boy Scouts can shoot .22 LR single shot bolt action rifles and shotguns under the supervision of NRA certified instructors.

VaGriller

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 15, 2010
    Avon
    I had a great time in scouts up until our Scoutmaster had to retire due cancer. A female scoutmaster stepped in and ruined a fairly active troop within a year. I made it to Life scout right before she came in, made it about 6 more months before I walked away.

Growing up on the east coast, Our summer weeklong camp outs included Camp Pipsico, 93 Jamboree, and Camp Treasure Island, PA. We also did a 50 mile 5 day hike through the Blue Ridge Mountains. Lots of fun memories including tubing down the river, rappelling, shooting, camping, woodwork, etc.

I'd be fine with my boys doing scouts if they want.

mjammer

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 9, 2011
    I have been involved in scouting for my son's whole career in it, almost 10 years now. There have been some moms involved in our troop including as scoutmaster but we have a good mix of men and women leaders, just need to make sure whoever it is, understands scouting and its ideals, methods, etc. and can keep it focused on what the boys want to do. Our troop in more of a family affair at a lot of outings which is nice as well. Best part is, we have a high percentage who stay with it all the way to Eagle. One of the most rewarding and proud moments I have had was watching my son receiving his Eagle and then him presenting me with his Mentor pin :D

Short answer is, mom, dad, whichever, get involved and stay involved whether it is scouting or whatever your kids choose to be involved in.

Hammerhead

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 2, 2010
    Bartholomew County
    I was a scout as a kid, and my wife and I decided to have our son join scouting. This is his second year, and he loves it. Well, he's more into the socialization than the specifics of scouting.

Both my wife and I are involved in pack, but we're not leaders. We want to make sure our son, and the other boys by osmosis, get the scouting part too. All of our pack's dens have leaders right now, but I've always gotten the feeling from the pack leader that he'd like me to step up and do more. I made it clear that my other obligations were paramount, as I'm already a leader with another volunteer organization and have been for a long time.

There are also some very fundamental parts of the scouting program that I do not agree with, but I keep my thoughts to myself as it's for my son and not me. I get to take him camping and teach him what I know, and that's important to me. My viewpoint is different, and that's all I'll say.

Que, to answer your question, this is from the scouting website:

14. Except for (1) law enforcement officers required to carry firearms within their jurisdiction, and (2) circumstances within the scope of the BSA hunting policy statement, firearms should not be in the possession of any person engaged in camping, hiking, backpacking, or any other Scouting activity other than those specifically planned for target shooting under the supervision of a certified firearms instructor. (Among the purposes of this policy is to prohibit adult leaders from bringing firearms on BSA camping and hiking activities or to unit meetings.)

This is their official policy. Not all activities are sanctioned events. The parents can get all the families together and camp which can include family members not involved in Cub Scouts. These events do not specifically have scouting in mind, but are just the types of outdoor activities that scouting promotes.

Make your own decision.

DarkRose

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    May 14, 2010
    Columbus, Indiana
    This. I was my son's den leader for 3 yrs and Cubmaster for 1. When he went to Boy scouts, that all changed. It was pretty much all men. I was actually the only female on SEVERAL outings.

Same when I was in scouts, cub scouts had mostly den mothers, and boy scouts had mostly males.

noname1

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 5, 2010
    I went to an information meeting on Cub Scouts with my son a few years back and was ambushed into becoming a den leader. All the kids in the den were busy with sports teams that all took priority over scouting. The rules were so restrictive on what the boys could do at each level my son was bored. The whole pack just fell apart after the first year due to lack of interest. Too many lawsuits over the years to allow the kids to have fun. I joked with the Dad's who were active with the den that we needed to have a rogue version of the Boy Scouts where we could do fun camping trips and go shooting what we want, without permission of the mothership. Don't get me started on the expoitation of child labor to sell that stupid overpriced popcorn to pay the executives and provide profit to Trails End. Not much actually makes it to the boys.

hotfarmboy1

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 7, 2008
    Madison County
    When I was in scouts, dad's weren't involved during the cub scout years, but boy scouts was done by dads.

This somewhat, but the cub scouts for our area were mostly leaded by guys as well. Although women were definitely involved as well. The only woman that was involved with the Boy Scout troop was the scoutmaster's wife.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    Que: not sure if you've found out the answer or not:

Officially, BSA doesn't allow the carry of firearms by their leadership. Not sure how the leadership would handle a parent's lawfully carried firearm.

And yes, many folks do find this rather counter-intuitive... Teaching young men to Be Prepared and then disallowing a piece of emergency gear.

Also: Be aware that a great deal of weekly scout functions may very well take place in schools or school property. Many churches also sponsor Scout troops; you can run amiss of licensed day cares / preschools / etc in that regard, too.

Other than that...I say if your kid is interested in it, then go for it!!! I had an absolute blast in Scouting.

-J-

Top Bottom