School Zone / Traffic Stop question - What happens here?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Yup!

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2011
    Actually, your property line is usually the center line of the street. From the center line of the street back toward your house will be a certain measurement (20, 30, 40 feet) that is an easement for the road and sidewalk. That area is for the "good of the public" and generally not under the control of the landowner. I believe that as long as you remain in this area you won't be found in violation of being on school property with a firearm. Any in the legal field wish to chime in on this.

im not versed enough to disprove your post, but I do not believe you "own" the road and are being kind enough to let the city use it.

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    School property is school property. Parking lot, ball fields, pool, bus garage.... If the school owns it then it's school property.

Then my initial question remains un-answered, or perhaps I didn't word it properly.. You pull over into a school parking lot because that's where you were lit up, or on the alley/road leading to the parking lot, something within that "property line". What happens then, legally? Is it up to the cop to decide how far to push it?

Last edited:

VUPDblue

Silencers Have NEVER Been Illegal !
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   1
    Mar 20, 2008
    Franklin Township
    It's up to the cop to push it. YOU would have made the decision to come to a stop on school property so you own whatever action the cop throws your way.

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    As long as you don't scream out the half opened drivers window "you will never take me alive, pig" you should be OK.

Probably should have used purple........

Seriously, I have made lots of traffic stops for violations that occurred in or near school zones. I always decided where the stop would happen out of the school zone. Nothing challenged my patience more, or raised more flags, than the person who did not stop where I wanted HIM TO STOP. The guy who thought his plan was better than mine.

I turned on the lights PRECISELY where I wanted the stop to occur. Too much activity with innocents near schools. And witnesses if I have to escalate the force continuum because the violator is acting like a boob.

Crap, I'll bet I just gave up a cop secret. Really shoulda used purple on that line.....

But then, I always thought I was a "thinking" cop......Hell, I was just a Reserve. They didn't pay me to show up at IA for complaints.

Don't violate traffic laws and all the angst over this issue magically goes away.

Last edited:

The Bubba Effect

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 13, 2010
    High Rockies
    1: Sometimes the property line for a property is the center of the street, sometimes the house side edge of the sidewalk, sometimes somewhere else. Varies property to property in my experience.

2: I am going to pull over somewhere that I think will not get the cop run over or both of us wiped out by traffic. I'm not going to drive for miles looking for the perfect spot, but not stopping in a blind corner.

3: I am not informing the officer (unless somehow he asks or becomes likely to see it anyway) because I do not think it does any of us any good.

I don't much care about the letter of the law in this circumstance, I'm more concerned with not getting someone run over.

Yup!

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2011
    Then my initial question remains un-answered, or perhaps I didn't word it properly.. You pull over into a school parking lot because that's where you were lit up, or on the alley/road leading to the parking lot, something within that "property line". What happens then, legally? Is it up to the cop to decide how far to push it?

if you were driving in the parking lot when you were lit up, then you would have needed to be picking up or dropping off your child. If that isn't the case, then you can't just be driving in the parking lot armed.

So, your asking, if you are in a school zone, on public road, and get lit up, can you pull into the school parking lot. No. Pull over on the public roadway. In the school zone.

better yet, when the lights come on, give it some gas, and drive as fast as possible to get out of the school zone - problem solved!

Yup!

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2011
    What if the officer lights you up and deems it safer to tell you to pull in the parking lot?

Then REFUSE to stop!

What if you are driving in a school zone and get a flat tire. You pull over, and as you are getting your spare out of the trunk, it gets away from you and rolls into the school zone. As you start to put your weapon securely in your car, a giant black bear comes out of the woods and chases you.

Rhoadmar

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 18, 2012
    The farm
    Then REFUSE to stop!

What if you are driving in a school zone and get a flat tire. You pull over, and as you are getting your spare out of the trunk, it gets away from you and rolls into the school zone. As you start to put your weapon securely in your car, a giant black bear comes out of the woods and chases you.

I hate when that happens.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    School zone? What the heck is that? Is this gun shop corruption of "school property"?

1. Don't go on school property.

2. Don't be volunteering stuff to the police.

If the police want you to stop, stop. "Driving off" to somewhere is almost as dumb as getting out of the car (thank you, Boston T. Party, for putting that stupidity into the gun culture).

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    if no crime has been committed, then why is he being pulled over... ;)

Because infractions are not crimes in Indiana.

It's just an infraction, quit trying to INGO it.

When the police activate the emergency lights, you:

1. Pull over where you is. Don't drive off to parts unknown like some guilty hillbilly with a suspended license.

2. Stay in the car.

3. Give him your license and registration.

4. Don't play 20 questions. Shut your baconhole.

5. Blowing kisses is your option but you should at least smile and wiggle your eyebrows.

BravoMike

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 19, 2011
    Avon
    I would also add that I have thought about this before and will only stop on a public road, not pull into a parking lot as I have done in the past to get off a busy road. When I learned that a YMCA may have a daycare on it and may open me up to criminal charges is when I stopped doing this. Also, there are some schools that have a parking area in front where one may parallel park but is in fact part of school property.

Also, don't speed, especially in a "school zone".

Manatee

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 18, 2011
    Indiana
    Why are you speeding in a school zone in the first place? If you can't follow basic rules of the road, why are you trustworthy enough to own and carry a firearm?

Drive safely. Carry safely. That car has a better chance of killing a child than your Glock.

GaDawg

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 23, 2012
    Muncie
    Number 1 a cop that has a problem with someone driving to a good spot to be pulled over can just get over it. Number 2 a cop that let's a moron pull over and stop right in the road and not in a safe place is a bonehead. Since I have moved to Indiana it just blows me away at the places people pull over and cops let them. I wouldn't pull over in a school zone just because I wouldn't want a rubbernecker to cause a wreck and endanger kids. Guess I wouldn't have to know the answer cause I'm not gonna pull over in a school zone period.

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    Because infractions are not crimes in Indiana.

It's just an infraction, quit trying to INGO it.

When the police activate the emergency lights, you:

1. Pull over where you is. Don't drive off to parts unknown like some guilty hillbilly with a suspended license.

2. Stay in the car.

3. Give him your license and registration.

4. Don't play 20 questions. Shut your baconhole.

5. Blowing kisses is your option but you should at least smile and wiggle your eyebrows.

WARNING: NSFW - LANGUAGE
    Chris Rock: What to do when pulled over - YouTube

Your forgot
    2a. Turn on the inside lights if it's dark
    2b. Roll down your window
    2c. Turn off the car & your radio
    2d. Turn on your video and audio recorders (front video cam, rear view cam, side driver cam, audio and audio on cellphone)
    I STRONGLY recommend the ACLU-NJ Police Tape
    as it sends the audio file to the ACLU server while the recording is being done just in case the JBTs take your phone and "misplace" or "break" it before you can get it back.
    2e. Stick your hands out the window with fingers spread out (STAY IN THE CAR) so JBT can see your hands

!!!NOTE MY LACK OF PURPLE ON THESE STEPS!!!

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    Actually, your property line is usually the center line of the street. From the center line of the street back toward your house will be a certain measurement (20, 30, 40 feet) that is an easement for the road and sidewalk. That area is for the "good of the public" and generally not under the control of the landowner. I believe that as long as you remain in this area you won't be found in violation of being on school property with a firearm. Any in the legal field wish to chime in on this.

im not versed enough to disprove your post, but I do not believe you "own" the road and are being kind enough to let the city use it.

Correct both of you but it depends.
    In some counties as councilman explained it that is correct.
    The property boundaries/lots are indeed from center line of the street back to the end of your lot. HOWEVER there is a huge easement in the front to account for the street, grass before the sidewalk, and then sidewalk. This easement area is public property even though you may be required to maintain both the sidewalk (clean the snow) and cut the grass! :xmad:

In other counties (Lake for instance). The property line starts at the edge of the street. That is the street is not considered your property. However your property still has an easement (typically in the front) where the grass & then sidewalk are at which is also considered public property as it has telephone poles, AT&T boxes, etc...

Google <<indiana county> + GIS so you can see how the property lines are done in your county.

Top Bottom