School Zone / Traffic Stop question - What happens here?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Taking some personal flak here as though I was speeding through a school zone. It was a hypothetical that I thought of while driving past a school. Yes, the idea is that you pull over into the outskirt of the school property, rather than stop on a busy road.

Yup!

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2011
    Taking some personal flak here as though I was speeding through a school zone. It was a hypothetical that I thought of while driving past a school. Yes, the idea is that you pull over into the outskirt of the school property, rather than stop on a busy road.

Don't take it personal - I don't know you.

The point is, the public road, that is considered a school zone, is NOT school property. If you are driving on school property, on school owned/maintained roads or parking lots, you are already in the wrong unless you are picking up or dropping off your child. If you are in a school Zone, and get pulled over, it's highly unlikely that you will end up on school PROPERTY by simply coming to a stop when you are lit up.

Dont confuse the words "School Zone" and "School Property" They are two different terms.

Yup!

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2011
    Number 1 a cop that has a problem with someone driving to a good spot to be pulled over can just get over it. Number 2 a cop that let's a moron pull over and stop right in the road and not in a safe place is a bonehead. Since I have moved to Indiana it just blows me away at the places people pull over and cops let them. I wouldn't pull over in a school zone just because I wouldn't want a rubbernecker to cause a wreck and endanger kids. Guess I wouldn't have to know the answer cause I'm not gonna pull over in a school zone period.

I hear florida is a "Good Spot" this time of year. Perhaps you should drive to florida, so that the officer doesn't have to get out in the Cold.

If it's raining, drive until the rain stops, that would be a good spot to pull over as well.

Just Pull over.. It's really quite simple.

Yup!

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2011
    Correct both of you but it depends.
    In some counties as councilman explained it that is correct.
    The property boundaries/lots are indeed from center line of the street back to the end of your lot. HOWEVER there is a huge easement in the front to account for the street, grass before the sidewalk, and then sidewalk. This easement area is public property even though you may be required to maintain both the sidewalk (clean the snow) and cut the grass! :xmad:

In other counties (Lake for instance). The property line starts at the edge of the street. That is the street is not considered your property. However your property still has an easement (typically in the front) where the grass & then sidewalk are at which is also considered public property as it has telephone poles, AT&T boxes, etc...

Google <<indiana county> + GIS so you can see how the property lines are done in your county.

So, If I don't want people carrying on my Property, how do I enforce the Road part?

VUPDblue

Silencers Have NEVER Been Illegal !
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   1
    Mar 20, 2008
    Franklin Township
    Number 1 a cop that has a problem with someone driving to a good spot to be pulled over can just get over it. Number 2 a cop that let's a moron pull over and stop right in the road and not in a safe place is a bonehead. Since I have moved to Indiana it just blows me away at the places people pull over and cops let them. I wouldn't pull over in a school zone just because I wouldn't want a rubbernecker to cause a wreck and endanger kids. Guess I wouldn't have to know the answer cause I'm not gonna pull over in a school zone period.

Lets them? LETS THEM? That's rich right there. :rofl:

Thanks for interjecting your clear expertise on this subject. Please tell us more.....

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Yes, the idea is that you pull over into the outskirt of the school property, rather than stop on a busy road.

All I can say is that is in your best interest not to knowingly or intentionally go upon where carrying a firearm is a felony. "He made me" rarely works in front of a judge or jury (if you are a female, more likely).

If I am pulled over on a busy road, I stop on the busy road. The risk is on the officer that we stop on a busy road, but I sure as heck am not slinking off like some guilty misdemeanant.

SkullDaddy.45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 25, 2012
    0hio
    Last spring as I was coming home from work on my motorcycle, a portage police officer pulled me over for being me. ( long story) just so happend he got me at the intersection of Willowcreek and Central, which is where the Middle School is located. I usually never inform of my carrying practices, but since I was on a bike with my XDs on my hip, and of course in front of a School, I informed the officer that I was indeed carrying my weapon. He replied that I should stay on the bike, both hands on the handle bars, and as long as I was on a public road I was fine. I didn't get a ticket, no one got hurt, was a great day!

Top Bottom