• ...and so much more!
  • Slim400

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 19, 2012
    INDIANAPOLIS SS IN
    gun free zone

The only gun free zone is observed by law-abiding citizensthose intent on doing wrong do not pay any attention to the Law

Pray for the ones that are hurt and for the ones their life was short and all of their families

and for the ones responsible for this terrible tragedy strap them to the lethal injection table

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    Yes. Tragic...Prayers to the victims.

...teacher Frank Hall chased the student gunman from the building.

This is weird. May have been out of ammo or just had it in for the ones he shot. Thankfully, as it appears, Frank may have saved a few lives.

Titanium_Frost

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Feb 6, 2011
    Southwestern Indiana

Thanks, its hard to search for something like this and even then perhaps it is reasonable to have two different takes on the same story? I figured guys who hang out here can discuss the merits of sending your children to unarmed victim zones which is something I will have to face in the not too distant future. My son is nearly 10 months old and is learning to walk. Tomorrow (figuratively- they grow up so fast) he will be carrying his Ninja Turtle or Transformers lunchbox to a place that I cannot even protect him.

Is it worth considering an option of homeschooling him? It has it merits but I think one of the benifits of a public education is letting him grow up in the world as it is today. And also having social skills is a plus IMO.

henktermaat

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 3, 2009
    Thanks, its hard to search for something like this and even then perhaps it is reasonable to have two different takes on the same story? I figured guys who hang out here can discuss the merits of sending your children to unarmed victim zones which is something I will have to face in the not too distant future. My son is nearly 10 months old and is learning to walk. Tomorrow (figuratively- they grow up so fast) he will be carrying his Ninja Turtle or Transformers lunchbox to a place that I cannot even protect him.

Is it worth considering an option of homeschooling him? It has it merits but I think one of the benifits of a public education is letting him grow up in the world as it is today. And also having social skills is a plus IMO.

Homeschooling your kids is without a doubt the best thing you can do for the future of this country, and it's good for your kids as well.

It's not as easy as stuffing them into a govt. school for state-sponsored brainwashing though. Not easy, but totally worth it. :patriot:

It's a complete myth that homeschoolers are somehow lacking in social skills. That's just a factor of the parents. Get out and do stuff and you'll have no trouble :)

At any rate, I'd take well-educated, active citizens over what society calls "socialization" any day.

Titanium_Frost

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Feb 6, 2011
    Southwestern Indiana
    Arm all the teachers and this crap wont happen.

The teachers I had when I was in school were liberal nanny state communists. They would never dream of picking up a firearm for self defense or even the defense of others. (That's what the Police are for) :noway:

I really don't know the best way to stop this ridiculous behaviour that has become so prevelent these days. How am I going let my kids go to a place where they are not safe?

Titanium_Frost

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Feb 6, 2011
    Southwestern Indiana
    Homeschooling your kids is without a doubt the best thing you can do for the future of this country, and it's good for your kids as well.

It's not as easy as stuffing them into a govt. school for state-sponsored brainwashing though. Not easy, but totally worth it. :patriot:

There are benefits and consequences to both IMO. I knew several homeschooled kids and I can say that some kids work well in that system and some don't. A big component is the socialization and learning the pecking order that comes from so many kids in the same place.

However I also had a really tough time in school and I barely pulled through it with my sanity some years. I'm sure my mother would have the same thoughts on that. I also tried private school and that seemed to fit me better and it is also a possibility.

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    TF, there are homeschooling co-ops, groups of parents who get together and agree on what they want their kids to learn and take time to teach them... Maybe your work could be scheduled such that you're available on Thursday or Saturday or whenever and you could teach civics, or little Susie's mom might teach math or whatever. One great thing is that you're not restricted to "8-3, M-F" for school, and your kids can be educated at any time there's a "teachable moment". A trip to the zoo (;)) can be a lesson or several, and as long as they DO learn, all is well. Indiana is a good state for homeschoolers... I really, REALLY wish I'd known that when my daughter was school-aged; we could have avoided the whole gov't school racket.

Do check into it, both for your child's benefit and for your own peace of mind.

Blessings,
    Bill

Titanium_Frost

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Feb 6, 2011
    Southwestern Indiana
    TF, there are homeschooling co-ops, groups of parents who get together and agree on what they want their kids to learn and take time to teach them... Maybe your work could be scheduled such that you're available on Thursday or Saturday or whenever and you could teach civics, or little Susie's mom might teach math or whatever. One great thing is that you're not restricted to "8-3, M-F" for school, and your kids can be educated at any time there's a "teachable moment". A trip to the zoo (;)) can be a lesson or several, and as long as they DO learn, all is well. Indiana is a good state for homeschoolers... I really, REALLY wish I'd known that when my daughter was school-aged; we could have avoided the whole gov't school racket.

Do check into it, both for your child's benefit and for your own peace of mind.

Blessings,
    Bill

Funny AND sound advice! I will absolutely look into it and it seems like I really need to research the options I have further. Besides a random google search are there any resources for alternative schooling methods? Mrs_Frost is a stay-at-home-mom so time isn't the issue for us.

HobbyGuy

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 12, 2009
    Newburgh
    My wife home schools our daughter. I am the designated science teacher. There are lots of benefits to homeschooling. There is a local convention coming up March 23-24. Lots of information there about how to get started. Granted you have a few years.

www.swihe.org is the group website. And I will have a booth at the convention to sell some educational and fun toys.

Robert

infiremedic07

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 27, 2012
    Lapel/Noblesville
    I have homeschooled my kids and now they go to the local public school. I am as involved in their education now as I was then. I fear for their safety at times but yet I also trust God to protect them when I am not there. But when they are with me I will protect them.

PS homeschooling is not for everyone. It takes serious committment, look very carefully at your own abilities and your kids learning styles to determine if it is right for you and your family. You can be very successful with the right system and the right dedication.

MangoTango

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 5, 2011
    Greenwood
    We send our child to a private school. It is a huge financial committment but worth it to us. The school is completely locked down and you buzz in to the front door during school hours. There is also an armed IMPD officer or other officer at the gate during any school activities. It also helps that everyone knows everyone. So sad for the losses in OHIO.

J_Wales

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 18, 2011
    Demonstrating yet again that gun free zones are dangerous; sometimes even deadly. I do my best to never be in an area that is free of firearms.

Prayers for the victims of those that see it otherwise and the gunmen.

tr1gg3r

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2011
    The Fortress
    I was home-schooled from 4th grade on. There are definitely pros and cons. I honestly never thought about it much, but safety was a non-issue. :draw:

radar44

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 4, 2012
    noblesville
    It is too soon to say what I'm really thinking. I will bet $$$'s to :twocents: that EVERY ONE of the " targeted " KNOWS, in his heart, EXACTLY why this happened .

The shooter was wrong . - . The devil is in the details.

Top Bottom