• T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Hmmmm...this IS interesting.

Where have I heard that before? :D

Found their agreement:
    http://www.boarddocs.com/in/indps/B.../$file/MOU - IPS - Circle Centre 03202015.pdf

Exhibit D, on page D2, the Simon Youth Foundation is responsible for the rent.
    Excellent find. I admit it, your google-fu is better than mine. :)

Now, what this agreement would actually be called, I have no idea. If you rent something and then let someone else use it, what is THAT called? Rent? Sub-lease?

Here's how I see it playing out.

Simon Property Group (SPG, or whatever it is called) owns the actual space. Simon Youth Foundation (SYF) is a charity. SPG donates the space to SYF and can probably take a tax deduction for the fair market value. Now, the reality is, this probably isn't the best space in the mall. They probably can't get premium rent for it. But, this way, they basically get something out of it.

This other agreement between IPS and SYF is basically just a professional services contract. SYF is "hiring" IPS, as a subcontractor, to provide teaching services. What I didn't see in my skimming is if this is an accredited "school." I'm not sure if this is possible, but I wonder if it isn't really a school at all, but a place that helps kids "study" to pass the GED (or whatever it is called now). By labeling it a "school" though, they get good will in the community and the Simon family gets to promote the philanthropy narrative.

Once again, this law is simply silly.
    That, my friend, is a long list.

ETA:

Apparently the school teached repnaziism.
    You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to eldirector again.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    As I recall, the "school" is up on the third floor where the bar complex was when the mall first opened. Easy to avoid.

Even easier to avoid if you just dont go to Simon Malls...

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    This other agreement between IPS and SYF is basically just a professional services contract. SYF is "hiring" IPS, as a subcontractor, to provide teaching services. What I didn't see in my skimming is if this is an accredited "school." I'm not sure if this is possible, but I wonder if it isn't really a school at all, but a place that helps kids "study" to pass the GED (or whatever it is called now). By labeling it a "school" though, they get good will in the community and the Simon family gets to promote the philanthropy narrative.
    According to IPS, the students enrolled here will receive regular IPS diplomas upon graduation.

IPS already has Centers at other Simon Malls. They lease space at Washington Square Mall right now for $13,200 / year. The only difference here is who pays the rent.

THE BIG SITT

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 14, 2012
    Greenwood
    According to IPS, the students enrolled here will receive regular IPS diplomas upon graduation.

IPS already has Centers at other Simon Malls. They lease space at Washington Square Mall right now for $13,200 / year. The only difference here is who pays the rent.

Simon no longer ownes Washington Square. That mall is owned by JLL Retail.

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon

How is that relevant, with respect to statutory language?

And that, as far as I can read/understand the statutory language, is a critical difference.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    How is that relevant, with respect to statutory language?
    In his defense, I'm pretty sure he was responding to my query about whether this was really a "school" or "a place to help students pass their GED." Probably a distinction without a difference, and has almost no relevance the statute.

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Consensus? On INGO?

Shirley, you jest.

gif-of-dont-call-me-shirley-gif.gif

LastShot123

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Jan 31, 2015
    Hamilton County
    That everyone disagreed.

My take is.. The school does not own the mall, only it's own space. As for the "adjoining, or connected", well any school is "adjoining or connected" to something, yet the entire city is not a GFZ.

Now this makes sense to me. Either way, the real question hete is, let say an armed crazy started firing on a crowd and an armed citizen makes a heroic shot at the crazy gunman and saves the lives of countless people at the mall. Is this upstanding citizen punished for acting and taking out a crazed gunman?

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Now this makes sense to me. Either way, the real question hete is, let say an armed crazy started firing on a crowd and an armed citizen makes a heroic shot at the crazy gunman and saves the lives of countless people at the mall. Is this upstanding citizen punished for acting and taking out a crazed gunman?

Depends on how big of a douche the prosecutor is. There is always jury nullification... :dunno:

Top Bottom