• ...and so much more!
  • actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Now this makes sense to me. Either way, the real question hete is, let say an armed crazy started firing on a crowd and an armed citizen makes a heroic shot at the crazy gunman and saves the lives of countless people at the mall. Is this upstanding citizen punished for acting and taking out a crazed gunman?

Depends on how big of a douche the prosecutor is. There is always jury nullification... :dunno:

Well, first you have to be charged and arrested.
    Then they have to determine if there is sufficient evidence for a trial.
    Then prosecuted.
    Then a jury decides, and it takes ALL of them.

So, in Indiana probably safe.
    In California, better get used to walls.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    Don't even have to take it that far.

Say I'm kicked back on a bench, eating ice cream with my little girl, while my wife hits a few outlet shops. That bench HAPPENS (unbeknownst to me) to be right outside the doors to the "school" portion of the mall. Am I committing a felony?

If I were sitting on a bench outside the doors of a Public High School, the answer is easy. If it were a building that was rented in its entirety by the School, it would be easy. Both these examples have property lines that define where the school stops, and the neighboring property begins. If you are "inside the lines", it is school property (yeah, I am generalizing a bit).

IC mentions "leased or owned in kind", which NO ONE seems to understand. Me included.

If one leases space at a mall, does that lease extend to things like parking, sidewalks, grassy areas, etc... on that same property? Is it leased "in kind"? If so, where does it end?

Bah. I need to just call in to Guy's show on Saturday.

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    Don't even have to take it that far.

Say I'm kicked back on a bench, eating ice cream with my little girl, while my wife hits a few outlet shops. That bench HAPPENS (unbeknownst to me) to be right outside the doors to the "school" portion of the mall. Am I committing a felony?

If I were sitting on a bench outside the doors of a Public High School, the answer is easy. If it were a building that was rented in its entirety by the School, it would be easy. Both these examples have property lines that define where the school stops, and the neighboring property begins. If you are "inside the lines", it is school property (yeah, I am generalizing a bit).

Can we just step back for a minute, and consider the absurdity of this (true) statement?

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I made a thread about this on the Indianapolis subreddit. I'm currently being called a "retard" when it comes to Indiana trespass law... posting the actual laws to some dullard that is absolutely sure of himself signs have weight of law. It's hilarious.

reddit.com/r/indianapolis/comments/3pi2vf/new_high_school_opens_inside_circle_centre_mall/

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    At that point in the hypothetical, I think it really depends on if "eating ice cream" is a euphemism.

But I digress...

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    Not hypothetical.

My family routinely visits the outlet mall. I carry. My 5-year-old daughter and I routinely sit on benches waiting on my wife to shop. We occasionally eat ice cream. There are benches immediately outside the Simon Youth Foundation Center. IS IT ILLEGAL TO SIT THERE WHILE ARMED? If so, at what distance does it become LEGAL?

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    I made a thread about this on the Indianapolis subreddit. I'm currently being called a "retard" when it comes to Indiana trespass law... posting the actual laws to some dullard that is absolutely sure of himself signs have weight of law. It's hilarious.

reddit.com/r/indianapolis/comments/3pi2vf/new_high_school_opens_inside_circle_centre_mall/

So, have you asked him to show the Indiana Code showing you are a retard?

OutdoorDad

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 19, 2015
    Indianapolis
    Not hypothetical.

My family routinely visits the outlet mall. I carry. My 5-year-old daughter and I routinely sit on benches waiting on my wife to shop. We occasionally eat ice cream. There are benches immediately outside the Simon Youth Foundation Center. IS IT ILLEGAL TO SIT THERE WHILE ARMED? If so, at what distance does it become LEGAL?

for you, it is 1000 yds closer than it is for an "out of stater".

But where that line starts, I have no idea.

dwh79

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 20, 2008
    Wanamaker/ Acton
    I would love to see a lawyers take on this as I park in the garage every week for church. Everyone in awhile we cut through the mall. I would hate to have to pass up the cheap parking simply because of them renting out a portion of the building across the public street.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    I did. I was called ignorant.

Deleted the thread because it was a graveyard of dumb posts.

Its a special kind of stupid. Its one thing to be ignorant. Its entirely another to be shown facts and STILL refuse to acknowledge you were wrong.

I think I know the problem. The IC wasnt written in crayon. All those big words confused the idiot.

I too have had to walk away from discussions because the other side was too stupid to acknowledge facts. Its all too common for us I think.

level0

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 13, 2013
    Indianapolis
    I have managed so far not to make a visit to that mall since June of 2015. It's been easy - my money seems to spend just fine at other places.

Top Bottom