• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    Now that it is legally a GFZ, it will be the safest mall around!

I bet gang and general hoodlum/thug violence will cease overnight. IMPD will be bored.

I wonder how many unintentional felons are walking around there right now?

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    I still don't think the statute, as written, is that broad, unless the school is renting every space in the mall. But, I doubt anyone will challenge it.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Here's some interesting info.

Without doing a full fledged Public Access Request for the lease, if any, it almost looks like the mall could not be considered a "school." It sounds like Simon is putting to use some space that might otherwise go unleased. (They can probably write off the FMV of the space.)

From here:
    http://www.myips.org/site/default.a...C2A&RenderLoc=0&FlexDataID=12133&PageID=32237

Career Technology Center/Simon Youth Foundation

Commissioners also approved an exciting new partnership with the Simon Youth Foundation to create a school in Circle Centre Mall. This state-of-the-art site will be a Simon Youth Academy operated and staffed by IPS. Under the guidance of the Career Technology Center, high school students will have the opportunity to participate in an engaging non-traditional school model with an emphasis on work-based learning and career readiness.

It doesn't say "leased." Just "operated and staffed."

It is also not listed in the "schools" list on the ips website.

This is a repository of IPS docs:
    BoardDocs® Pro

Search for "simon" and there is an MOU that has the following language:
    WHEREAS, SYF will cover the cost of construction, rental costs for the space for the school, the cost of staff development and training and certain other expenses as outlined in the attached agreement; and
    WHEREAS, IPS will assume all expenses and responsibility associated with staffing, managing, and operating SYF academy;

The attachment doesn't show up, but it doesn't look like IPS has any property interest in the "school" part of the mall.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    Hmmmm...this IS interesting.

Found their agreement:
    http://www.boarddocs.com/in/indps/B.../$file/MOU - IPS - Circle Centre 03202015.pdf

Exhibit D, on page D2, the Simon Youth Foundation is responsible for the rent.

So, IPS does not rent, and does not own, that space.

Now, what this agreement would actually be called, I have no idea. If you rent something and then let someone else use it, what is THAT called? Rent? Sub-lease?

As far as IPS is concerned (and yes, I know that doesn't make it law) this is the same as their other agreements with Simon where they actually pay rent. It is just that someone else is paying it for them.

Once again, this law is simply silly.

Top Bottom