• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Lee S. Forsberg

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 14, 2011
    ...has mostly been proven to be a little antiquated and less accurate way of calculating appropriate twist rates than is Miller. (caveat being that I certainly do not hold a degree in Physics)

For the lay person, JBM's calculators are probably the appropriate method. Used in a little more sophistication, and in conjunction with a spreadsheet, they will allow you to build a fairly accurate chart of what stability factors will be achieved across multiple sets of environmental parameters.

If anybody wants to be a student of it though, I still recommend you learn to do the calculations yourself, on real paper, with a real pencil.

That being said, as much calculation as you want to do, at the end of the day, unless your barrel manufacturer can deliver extremely precise and extremely accurate twist rates in the barrel you purchase, you can end up getting hosed anyway. This is one key differentiation between the barrels that "should" shoot (but don't), and the barrels that almost ALWAYS shoot. Choose carefully.

-Nate

It's not a little antiquated it's a lot antiquated. But, a place to start if one wants to put numbers on paper and do the calculations.
    JBM is way quicker than doing it yourself. Also, as has already been mentioned. What will this rifle be used for? What meets the need, meets the need.

Psode27

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 23, 2011
    Rochester
    You said this is your first build?

Buy the CHEAP one!
    ...because you will have two rifles in probably 6 months... and then you can be more picky about the next one when you can divvy up roles for each rifle. Jack of all trades I tend to agree with natdscott, 1-7 twist will probably suit you fine. if there is likelihood that you will be throwing random found ammo in a SHTF situation, 1-7 will be fine. When you want something to shoot a particular bullet really well, then pay more attention to the stuff above.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    dcb500
    Top Bottom