• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 45sRfun

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Verse 8: “The one who is doing sin from the devil is he, because from the beginning the devil sins. For this the Son of God has been manifested, in order to destroy the works of the devil.”
    Verse 9: “Everyone who has been born from God sin he does not do, because His seed in him remains; and he is not able to sin because from God he has been born.”

This is probably a much closer translation of the Textus Receptus into English.
    Well I would take "doing sin" and "sin he does not do" and put emphasis on the "do" part as an active, purposeful doing. As we know that nobody is without sin, I think the point of these verses is that Christians do not pursue sin. Interesting I am reading a book of meditations on the Epistles of John right now and recently read this regarding Verse 9: ". . . no one can be a half-Christian, that he should bear the name of Christ and still do the works of the devil."
    --Samuel Heinrich Fröhlich, 1841

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    Well I would take "doing sin" and "sin he does not do" and put emphasis on the "do" part as an active, purposeful doing. As we know that nobody is without sin, I think the point of these verses is that Christians do not pursue sin. Interesting I am reading a book of meditations on the Epistles of John right now and recently read this regarding Verse 9: ". . . no one can be a half-Christian, that he should bear the name of Christ and still do the works of the devil."
    --Samuel Heinrich Fröhlich, 1841
    Also this Scripture.
    Romans 6:1-6 NKJV
    What shall we say then? Shall we continue in sin that grace may abound?
    [2] Certainly not! How shall we who died to sin live any longer in it?
    [3] Or do you not know that as many of us as were baptized into Christ Jesus were baptized into His death?
    [4] Therefore we were buried with Him through baptism into death, that just as Christ was raised from the dead by the glory of the Father, even so we also should walk in newness of life.
    [5] For if we have been united together in the likeness of His death, certainly we also shall be in the likeness of His resurrection,
    [6] knowing this, that our old man was crucified with Him, that the body of sin might be done away with, that we should no longer be slaves of sin.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    dcb500
    Top Bottom