• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    Eventually it will have a nice scope but it'll be a budget one until i can get ahold of a good scope. It seems as if nobody wants my M4 .22 anyways so its gonna be a while.
    I suggest a SuperSniper. Very good scope for the money.

Also, regarding expensive ammo, learn to reload. I can load precision .308 for my gun right at about $.37/rd and I could probably do plinking rounds for less than $.25.

XDinmyXJ

Sharpshooter
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 30, 2009
    Columbus, IN
    I suggest a SuperSniper. Very good scope for the money.

Also, regarding expensive ammo, learn to reload. I can load precision .308 for my gun right at about $.37/rd and I could probably do plinking rounds for less than $.25.

Maybe when I get done with my Jeep and stop buying guns I could pick up some reloading supplies! :D

jsn_mooney

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    South Of Richmond
    Make sure if it's an older one it has the newer(safer) style trigger that allows you to work the bolt while the weapon is on "safe"- The only time I've EVER had an accidental discharge was with a '76 production Varmint-Special BDL While trying to unload a chambered live round. I think I paid about $60 to have the factory install a new X pro or whatever they call the new triggers. Those old-style triggers had a "safety modification order" but never a recall, according to customer service because I told them that I thought it was crap to have to pay for a trigger in order to replace an unsafe design. It didn't matter what I thought.

asquinton

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Apr 15, 2010
    If it was me I'd look for a 700 ADL or a BDL if you like the old classic "premium" look with high gloss and white dividers. I'm a sucker for the BDL/Wingmaster look so that's what I have. If you like modifying your own, the trigger in the 700 is EASY to modify. Buy a spring kit, set the trigger and trigger is awesome. I also floated the barrel on my gun. It will do about one MOA at 100 yards. I love it.

As far as cartridges go, there's always a lot of arguments over short versus long action, blah blah blah. For a bolt gun, it doesn't matter IMHO. The bolt length of travel has very little influence on reload time so it's not a factor in my mind. I like the old .30-06 cartridge over the .308 and that's what I use. I picked the .30-06 because it has ~10% more energy than a .308 with the costs being equivalent for factory loads. If you buy from CMP, then you can get .30-06 delivered to your door for .55/round. That's a LOT cheaper than you find at Walmart for .308.

If you don't shoot much, then the ammo costs isn't much of a consideration. I like the .30-06 because it's ammo is cheap through CMP and it's well proven, capable round. If crap hits the fan, you can buy .30-06 ammo pretty much anywhere in the world (same as .308) so that's a factor in my mind. Bang for the buck and availability, I don't know how you pick anything other than a .30-06.

Good luck with your selection!

XDinmyXJ

Sharpshooter
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 30, 2009
    Columbus, IN
    If it was me I'd look for a 700 ADL or a BDL if you like the old classic "premium" look with high gloss and white dividers. I'm a sucker for the BDL/Wingmaster look so that's what I have. If you like modifying your own, the trigger in the 700 is EASY to modify. Buy a spring kit, set the trigger and trigger is awesome. I also floated the barrel on my gun. It will do about one MOA at 100 yards. I love it.

As far as cartridges go, there's always a lot of arguments over short versus long action, blah blah blah. For a bolt gun, it doesn't matter IMHO. The bolt length of travel has very little influence on reload time so it's not a factor in my mind. I like the old .30-06 cartridge over the .308 and that's what I use. I picked the .30-06 because it has ~10% more energy than a .308 with the costs being equivalent for factory loads. If you buy from CMP, then you can get .30-06 delivered to your door for .55/round. That's a LOT cheaper than you find at Walmart for .308.

If you don't shoot much, then the ammo costs isn't much of a consideration. I like the .30-06 because it's ammo is cheap through CMP and it's well proven, capable round. If crap hits the fan, you can buy .30-06 ammo pretty much anywhere in the world (same as .308) so that's a factor in my mind. Bang for the buck and availability, I don't know how you pick anything other than a .30-06.

Good luck with your selection!

I got one. Its an ADL in .243

DSCF0094.jpg

Top Bottom