Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 11, 2009
    MADISON
    The things that held us up at Sundays Match:

Dead kindle on last stage.

Dead Timer last stage.

Multi string double stage with targets with about 500 pasters on each target. The squad ahead of us held us up, we held the squad behind us up....and on and on. Took forever and a day to score and run a shooter.

On the field stages we can turn a shooter every 2 or 3 minutes (I timed it).

I think we could have saved 1.5 hours easily.

The number of shooters does not bother me. I think luxury of turning shooters away at some point is a bad bad idea.

Just some thoughts about Justin's post.

Every stage bucket should have extra 9 volt batteries and a backup battery pack for the kindles.
    Every bucket should have plenty of brown, black, and white pasters and extra paint. I know Max had to run to his truck several times during the match to get those items.
    A "bag" could maybe put together and gave to 1 person on each squad to give out pasters or batteries as necessary and make sure they don't get lost.

Stage 5 was unique and appeared to be a bad bottleneck. Our squad was right behind Justin's squad and we watched them shoot the stage. The scoring was killing them with several shooters gathered around the targets trying to figure out the scoring. Our squad got the new targets and depending on who was doing the scoring they could score while shooter was shooting stage six(they could see the hits from behind the box). Really scored easy compared to squad before us. Those targets should have been changer after every squad. Match director can't think of every possible problem.

It was a great match even if it was a long one. I loved the challenging stages and while there are several things we can do to make things go faster without making the match into a "No Match".
    I don't want the stage designs to be geared toward how fast we can run the shooters thru instead of making them a shooting challenge.

sporter

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 9, 2009
    Southern, Indiana
    Just some thoughts about Justin's post.

Every stage bucket should have extra 9 volt batteries and a backup battery pack for the kindles.
    Every bucket should have plenty of brown, black, and white pasters and extra paint. I know Max had to run to his truck several times during the match to get those items.
    A "bag" could maybe put together and gave to 1 person on each squad to give out pasters or batteries as necessary and make sure they don't get lost.
    Great Ideas there!

Stage 5 was unique and appeared to be a bad bottleneck. Our squad was right behind Justin's squad and we watched them shoot the stage. The scoring was killing them with several shooters gathered around the targets trying to figure out the scoring. Our squad got the new targets and depending on who was doing the scoring they could score while shooter was shooting stage six(they could see the hits from behind the box). Really scored easy compared to squad before us. Those targets should have been changer after every squad. Match director can't think of every possible problem.
    I don't blame anyone, it's just one of those things that happened. It is a learning experience for all.

It was a great match even if it was a long one. I loved the challenging stages and while there are several things we can do to make things go faster without making the match into a "No Match".
    I don't want the stage designs to be geared toward how fast we can run the shooters thru instead of making them a shooting challenge
    I agree 100% here Paul. I, as well as many of the shooters like the dynamic stages, it keeps it interesting and challenging. I thought Sundays Match was a Great one!!

WyldeShot

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 28, 2011
    Greenville
    This was my 3rd match....ever. I had to Google some of terms before showing up so I had an idea of what to expect.

I personally loved all of the no shoots and swinging targets. I also liked the idea that the setup was more what you will see at a major match. Yes the shoot took a little longer than expected but it's much better than not shooting. I wouldn't change a thing.

Also, I think it is great that everyone is so welcoming of new shooter.

WyldeShot

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 28, 2011
    Greenville
    Agreed, I don't particularly like them but they do help. I would also like to see some 6" plates at distance. These seem to show up at major matches as well. Something else that shows up often, while not exactly practical for local matches, are unstable shooting platforms. I have shot leaning hard while hanging onto a rope, sitting in a chair with mags and guns on table, as well as swaying bridges. Lots of fun but require alot of work to build, store, and move.

Unstable platforms would be fun!

sv40sw45

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 28, 2009
    South Indiana
    I tried to give everyone as much of the SS/PRO match as I could for $20!!!! This was our BIG BLOW OUT MATCH FOR THE YEAR!!! I miss counted the hard cover targets on stage 5 and thought I had enough so they could be changed after 2 Squads but only had painted 5 targets instead of 6 and had no Black paint with me. So I know that was a BIG problem.

If anyone wants to help with Stage design and set up here's your chance. You can be responsible for as many stages as you want to set up ,design and do EVERY match. We will just need to let me know what you are doing and I will do the others stages. I could use someone to take charge of the pasters and paint and timers and batteries for the timers and staple guns and staples and walk through for each match.

So as you can see there are several things that go into a match to make it happen and run smoothly. Max

sporter

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 9, 2009
    Southern, Indiana
    I tried to give everyone as much of the SS/PRO match as I could for $20!!!! This was our BIG BLOW OUT MATCH FOR THE YEAR!!! I miss counted the hard cover targets on stage 5 and thought I had enough so they could be changed after 2 Squads but only had painted 5 targets instead of 6 and had no Black paint with me. So I know that was a BIG problem.

If anyone wants to help with Stage design and set up here's your chance. You can be responsible for as many stages as you want to set up ,design and do EVERY match. We will just need to let me know what you are doing and I will do the others stages. I could use someone to take charge of the pasters and paint and timers and batteries for the timers and staple guns and staples and walk through for each match.

So as you can see there are several things that go into a match to make it happen and run smoothly. Max

Max,

I am in to bring white spray paint to every match (that I attend!).

I can also help with bringing/ordering pasters, and keeping new batteries in the timers.

I will also start bringing a backup battery for the kindle as well.

Stage designs, I might be able to help with (I can message you the diagrams on facebook), I might not be able to make the setups however as I work on a lot of saturdays.

Last edited:

johns

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 13, 2014
    new albany
    I loved the match though it was long but not bad 15 on my squad but lots of help sorry I couldn't help more , rode with a friend witch put me there later than I wanted and leaven wile watching to few putting everything away, made me feel bad I know Max done more than should be ask of anyone will it a priority to stay

Dog1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Feb 15, 2010
    Clark County, Indiana
    I think there is too much 2nd guessing and Monday morning quarterbacking going on here.

As for the match being long...so what? Clear your day and enjoy the fact you are out shooting with like minded people. If you want to be in a hurry to shoot a match and go home...maybe competitive shooting is not your cup of tea.

Max and his crew puts on great matches. Be thankful that we have guys like them to do it.

I am happy to see more new ROs stepping up...that's awesome.

JohnS.....you bust your ass helping all the time...you can have a pass every now and then.

Last edited:

sv40sw45

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 28, 2009
    South Indiana
    I think there is too much 2nd guessing and Monday morning quarterbacking going on here.

As for the match being long...so what? Clear your day and enjoy the fact you are out shooting with like minded people. If you want to be in a hurry to shoot a match and go home...maybe competitive shooting is not your cup of tea.

Max and his crew puts on great matches. Be thankful that we have guys like them to do it.

I am happy to see more new ROs stepping up...that's awesome.

JohnS.....you bust your ass helping all the time...you can have a pass every now and then.

Dan you are so SMART!!!!!!! Forget everything I have said about this match. Business as usual at SCGC!!! See you all next month. Max

MoparMan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 11, 2009
    Dan you are so SMART!!!!!!! Forget everything I have said about this match. Business as usual at SCGC!!! See you all next month. Max

Max, You do a great job at South Central. It's nice to see a 20 year old with all knowledge and vigor.:D

kevinm

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 4, 2008
    Charlestown
    Five to six hours for Local match ... who cares we're shooting with good people and having fun!! Kindle running out of batteries turn them off when you are not using them !!! Running out of posters and paint who cares don't shoot all the targets!!! 80 Shooters at a local match limit the number of shooters!!!!! HELL NO we want all these shooters we can the get involved with the sport.... Max and crew did an awesome job for great match !!!

sdunsworth

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 14, 2011
    Columbus
    I was surprised by some of the comments out of this. I'll recognize several as rants and therefore throw them out. Focus on solutions:

I'm not in favor of limiting the number of shooters. It would be nice to make sign-up easier / faster. I've got some ideas we may be trying here in the near future.

Spare batteries in the buckets (9V & external for the kindles). We will add this to the agenda for the next club meeting.

More paint / pasters in the buckets.

Sorry for those that can't stay for the entire match if we run long. I'm glad you made it for the time that you could. If you made other plans and couldn't stay, I understand, but blame lies in the mirror if you feel the need to vent somewhere.

Dog1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Feb 15, 2010
    Clark County, Indiana
    I was surprised by some of the comments out of this. I'll recognize several as rants and therefore throw them out. Focus on solutions:

I'm not in favor of limiting the number of shooters. It would be nice to make sign-up easier / faster. I've got some ideas we may be trying here in the near future.

Spare batteries in the buckets (9V & external for the kindles). We will add this to the agenda for the next club meeting.

More paint / pasters in the buckets.

Sorry for those that can't stay for the entire match if we run long. I'm glad you made it for the time that you could. If you made other plans and couldn't stay, I understand, but blame lies in the mirror if you feel the need to vent somewhere.

:yesway:

Top Bottom