• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    I was leaving the pedodontist today with my kids (no cavities!) and there was another dad walking out with two young kids and an infant in a carseat. I praised his ability to handle all three and we did a little small talk. I saw inside his car and he had zero carseats. I'm guessing here, but his kids were maybe 4 and 6, plus the carseat.

I thought about bringing up the lack of seats, then didn't say anything. He then tapped my window because I had left my son's water bottle on top of the car and I thanked him and used that as a segue to ask if he had any carseats in there. He said he wasn't expecting to do the driving today for kids so he didn't have a car with seats available. The young girl got in the front seat of the car that had an airbag. It was a Honda Civic.

I didn't push the issue and I didn't call police dispatch either. Since we like to monday-morning quarterback most of life's decisions on INGO I figured I'd toss this out and see what you all think.

:popcorn:

Last edited:

giovani

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 8, 2012
    I for one am impressed that you fought the urge to do what is taught in todays society.
    And that would be to turn in you fellow man to the gestopo, or what ever they call it these days.

indytechnerd

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 17, 2008
    Here and There
    I say live and let live. I'm from the generation of kids who didn't have car seats, barely had seatbelts, and lived to tell about it. I stand with infant carriers, but I think beyond that, some of the laws surrounding this subject are overboard. It's one more thing where the gov't knows best.

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    My brother and I traveled around the country in the back of the family's 1972 Chevy Pickup at ages 6 and 12. No car seats but there was a topper on the back...When we would beging scrapping (as brothers are wont to do) dad would just tap on the brakes and we would slide to the front with a thump. Different times I suppose.:D

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    See something, say something, right? We are all criminals.....

I wouldn't have done more than you. I'm sure the father knows the risks, and is willing to take them. It is still pretty lazy to not move the car seats (or swap cars, or buy extra seats for the other car).

iChokePeople

Master
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   1
    Feb 11, 2011
    I'm from an era where kids bounced around on the back seat while careening down the highway. We played Twister in the back of station wagons and piled 22 boys in the back of a pickup truck. With guns. I seriously have no idea whether the cars I rode in as a kid even HAD seatbelts. So my vote is probably obvious.

Just because this one's kind of a fun grammar-nazi opportunity...

Segway =/= segue.

Segue: a smooth transition in topics, etc.

Segway:

joe-arpaio-is-mall-cop-on-steroids.jpg

Last edited:

10mm Snack Pack

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 15, 2012
    New Castle
    Although I think all kids should be in car seats. I think you did the right thing by not calling. Years ago my wife took one of our vehicles ,that had the car seats. I had to pick up my daughter from the babysitters that day. That's when we got 2 seats. That kinda stuff happens, and with his response I would have done the same as you.

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    True, wrong word. I'll fix.

We can't say "I didn't use a seat and I was fine" because you were never in a serious accident. I see people beat to crap over simple accidents for lack of seat belts.

I think I just feel bad because the kids were seatless, not that I didn't call. Kinda like smoking in an enclosed car with kids I guess.

steve666

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2010
    Indianapolis Eastside
    I say live and let live. I'm from the generation of kids who didn't have car seats, barely had seatbelts, and lived to tell about it. I stand with infant carriers, but I think beyond that, some of the laws surrounding this subject are overboard. It's one more thing where the gov't knows best.

I'm from the generation before this, we didn't even have seat belts when I was that age. I remember riding standing up in the front seat of our '56 Pontiac Chieftan so that I could see.

wrnyhuise

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 8, 2013
    SW Indianapolis
    i say good for you sir. I have been in this spot a time or two without the car seats my wife as well. People get their noses in others business way to much now days.

indytechnerd

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 17, 2008
    Here and There
    I made multiple trips to see my grandparents in Ft. Lauderdale riding in the back of a VW Beetle between '77 and '80. My mom would lay down the back seat, throw some blankets down for us, load up with toys and snacks and hit the road. We'd sleep when we were tired, play, and wave at the other cars. Now, if I tried that with my kids, I wouldn't make it out of the 317 area code before someone called and had me arrested.

mcolford

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 8, 2010
    Thats why I own 3 sets of seats. One for my wife's van, one for my Jeep, one for my parent's car (they watch my kids). I dont risk it, ever.

I understand there were generations that grew up without the seats, but cars were more solid then. They didnt have 19.5 airbags coming from everywhere to smack you back into your seat. Drivers were also more cautious, and werent distracted with a $9 cup of crappy coffee, a cell phone, GPS, dvd player, all while doing their make-up on the 465 loop....

Would I have turned him in? I dont know, but I doubt it, unless like mentioned, he was acting like a tool, and letting his kids bounce around the car or something. I probably would have said something about the kid sitting up front though.

vanillagorilla

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    central Indy
    Hoosierdoc- sleep well with your decision. More than likely the kids were fine. I would say to the others who took the trip to Kings Island in the floorboard of the family wagon and think laws are stupid because they are fine, I would remind you that a Honda Civic is not the same as Dodge Diplomat (little more metal there). Just saying.

Doug

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    69   0   0
    Sep 5, 2008
    Indianapolis
    He wasn't driving on any dangerous roads so he didn't expect to have an accident. It's just like people who only carry when they're going someplace that might be dangerous. :eek:

Seriously, you did the right thing. Car seats are a good idea, but should be voluntary.

Booya

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Aug 26, 2010
    Fort Fun
    How much did the kids weigh and how tall were they exactly? Isn;t that how the laws in IN are set up? Height and weight if not by age? Did you ask when they're birthdays were?

I think you did fine and hell, I've been in that same position when my in-laws were in town and the kids are moving from 1-4 different vehicles over the course of the weekend. Life happens, to everyone. 98% of everything talked about on here is "police state" and "personal freedoms"... Etc. Good on you, for letting the guy live his life. If he was a horrible dad he wouldn't have been getting teeth check anyway!

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    I know we all grew up without carseats and using seatbelts, but if I post a story of a dad who had two kids seriously injured in an MVC because he drove them to a dental appointment and home without carseats, what would the INGO reaction be? We love to say we'll go to the ends of the earth to protect our family.

I think carseats/belts should be mandatory until you're 18, then it's up to you to be stupid. I'm like mcolford, we own 10 carseats or bases. It sucks, but we do a lot of unscheduled driving and trips so it's a necessity.

Top Bottom