• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • kickbacked

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2010
    i wouldnt of called the police, mostly because i try to stay out of others business and i dont get paid to give infractions.......

nailknocker

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 13, 2011
    I am almost always appalled by these " it's for the children" stories, and that some would consider calling the police over such a violation.

Nanniesizm, ( is that a word) is the opposite of liberty, and we have sacrificed way to much liberty because of it, where does it stop?

I have neighbors that have some pretty big summertime cookouts. They consume adult beverages, they have small children, after the party I'm sure the parents are legally impaired, what if there is a fire, do I call social services, the police, both, have the parents charged with child endangerment?

Where does it stop?

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    I am almost always appalled by these " it's for the children" stories, and that some would consider calling the police over such a violation.

What would your reaction be to two children killed in a minor MVC because an airbag snapped one's neck and the other wasn't properly secured in a restraint system? Would it be "well, the dad made a choice and was unlucky"? These laws are there to protect children from parental failings. You don't HAVE to put kids in belts, and you don't HAVE to drive on public highways either. Are you also opposed to traffic lights, stop signs, speed limit signs, double yellow lines, etc...?

I have neighbors that have some pretty big summertime cookouts. They consume adult beverages, they have small children, after the party I'm sure the parents are legally impaired, what if there is a fire, do I call social services, the police, both, have the parents charged with child endangerment?

Where does it stop?

Hard to say, but that example is a bit different. Passively having children at the house is one thing, but actively driving them around in an unsafe manner is different. When I see unrestrained children injured in an MVC where the parents were in violation of the law, that is a tough one. I've called CPS for some of them and not on others. Often I've had the police officers who work our security come and talk to the family and explain the laws and the reasons behind it.

mcolford

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 8, 2010
    I'm like mcolford, we own 10 carseats or bases. It sucks, but we do a lot of unscheduled driving and trips so it's a necessity.

It just simplifies life... Plain and simple. My parents watch my kids at my house, so if they need to go somewhere, we dont have to worry about making sure they have the seats, or if they are at my mom and dads, either me or my wife can get them, etc... Just simple.

I dont exactly put a price on safety.

jkaetz

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Mandating seatbelts and child seats is overbearing. The info regarding the dangers is out there. It is always tragic when people ignore the safety warnings but trying to protect people from themselves is an exercise in futility. No matter how advanced our society, we cannot possibly remove the inherent dangers from our lives. Even giving up all freedom and rights will not accomplish this. All we can do is take care of our own and try to coax others into being safe as well.

Krainw

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2013
    As a (formerly) certified child passenger safety tech I have seen and heard what happens to kids, and adults who aren't properly restrained in a motor vehicle crash. It usually isn't pretty. I have been known to stop strangers and talk to them about issues with their kids seats because I wouldn't want to deal with the thought that I could have prevented their death or injury and didn't. Kids don't really have much say in whether their parent puts them in a safety seat or not, and unfortunately our society has gotten to the point that if it isn't a law many people won't do it. I often tell people that the laws of physics apply regardless of state or federal laws. I am certain that neither of those children at 4 and 6 were large enough to properly fit a vehicle seat belt. I am not for government telling people what to do, but in this case it does make a difference in the number of parents protecting their kids in the car and the number of kids dying or being permanently disabled. That said I likely would have said a prayer and left it at that. They are his kids, not mine. He has to deal with it if something does happen. I would be fine with a police officer pulling him over for it, as it is a law with actual reason and science behind it, but I don't believe I'd have called.

A good website for carseat info:

Automotive Safety Program

oldfb

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Valpo
    Should have proned him out at the barrel of your glock 21sf loaded with 200 grain devestator hollow points, carried in your crossbreed supertuck while calling for tactical backup on your milspec GMA communication device all while making sure not to place the antenna too close to your ear.
    Now. Where is that purple font?

$mooth

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 27, 2010
    Texas
    To all those that say they survived without car seats, do you really believe that is sound logic? It sounds like what my in-laws tried to use with me. "All our kids slept on their stomach and survived." "All our kids rode in the back of the station wagon without car seats and survived." Of course, they don't think of the ones who didn't survive that could have.
    It's a percentages game. Maybe 94% made it, but I want to reduce that 6% as much as possible for my child.

Now, I think the OP did well. Let the dad know, but not sure he'd should call the cops on him.

It just simplifies life... Plain and simple. My parents watch my kids at my house, so if they need to go somewhere, we dont have to worry about making sure they have the seats, or if they are at my mom and dads, either me or my wife can get them, etc... Just simple.

I dont exactly put a price on safety.

I'm surprised by how many families with multiple cars only keep car seats in one of them. We have them in both of our cars, just in case I needed to pick up my son when my wife dropped him off. We even have an extra "traveling" one in the garage (for flights and such) that my neighbor can use if she needed to pick him up.

Fishersjohn48

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Feb 19, 2009
    Fishers
    1965-pontiac-catalina-dash.JPG

This is the dashboard of the car I remember riding in as a child. See that ridge at the top of the dash? That baby is metal and right at cranium height should you hit the brakes. I turned out OK, very little noticeable brain damage.

7841143826_ed187bec2f_z.jpg

Just found a pic of the '62 Valiant dash as well. Note same death trap features.

Last edited:

mcolford

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 8, 2010
    To all those that say they survived without car seats, do you really believe that is sound logic? It sounds like what my in-laws tried to use with me. "All our kids slept on their stomach and survived." "All our kids rode in the back of the station wagon without car seats and survived." Of course, they don't think of the ones who didn't survive that could have.
    It's a percentages game. Maybe 94% made it, but I want to reduce that 6% as much as possible for my child.

Now, I think the OP did well. Let the dad know, but not sure he'd should call the cops on him.

I'm surprised by how many families with multiple cars only keep car seats in one of them. We have them in both of our cars, just in case I needed to pick up my son when my wife dropped him off. We even have an extra "traveling" one in the garage (for flights and such) that my neighbor can use if she needed to pick him up.
    I just cant imagine only having one car seat per child... That would suck. I keep mine strapped in my back seat of my Jeep all the time. A buddy (who doesnt have kids) mentioned something to me one day about having the seats in even though the kids werent with me, I just told him plain and simple I dont worry about having the super-cool car. I have a family, my family comes first, and if its that big of a deal, he can get his happy ass out and walk.

I am ALL FOR laws in regards to having child safety seats. Too many stupid parents out there..

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    I don't think I would have called either, I mean unless you witnessed the guy driving like an idiot or the guy was just being a total DB.
    Between me and Mr88GT, we've been in 4 MVC of varying severity in the last 24 months. One wasn't much more than a fender bender, but of the other 3, two totaled our vehicles, and the third did $10K+ in damage to the truck. And it only survived because it was an F350 (the other car was a Caddy that Mr88GT t-boned). Not a single one of these were our fault. We weren't driving like an idiot. The other people were. That's not good enough.

How much did the kids weigh and how tall were they exactly? Isn;t that how the laws in IN are set up? Height and weight if not by age? Did you ask when they're birthdays were?
    There's a minimum age and a minimum height/weight standard, IIRC. You only get to get out of the seats at the age if you have surpassed the height/weight standards. But I can't say for sure.

What would your reaction be to two children killed in a minor MVC because an airbag snapped one's neck and the other wasn't properly secured in a restraint system? Would it be "well, the dad made a choice and was unlucky"?
    Yes, that's exactly what it would be.

These laws are there to protect children from parental failings.
    Whoa, there, Doc. That's some slippery ground you're treading on. Who gets to decide what's parental failure? When does "doing it differently" become "parental failure?"

You don't HAVE to put kids in belts, and you don't HAVE to drive on public highways either. Are you also opposed to traffic lights, stop signs, speed limit signs, double yellow lines, etc...?

I don't have a problem with traffic laws that are designed to provide order and efficiency. I do have a problem with the state deciding my choices aren't good enough.

Hard to say, but that example is a bit different. Passively having children at the house is one thing, but actively driving them around in an unsafe manner is different. When I see unrestrained children injured in an MVC where the parents were in violation of the law, that is a tough one. I've called CPS for some of them and not on others. Often I've had the police officers who work our security come and talk to the family and explain the laws and the reasons behind it.

It's exactly the same. There are more hazards in my home than on the road. There are *gasp* guns and knives. Chemicals. A ferocious dog. Disease-carrying chickens. Climbing trees. Hard baseballs. Sticks that can poke an eye out. All of these are passive dangers that don't involve the intentional use of force against the kids. How is leaving chemicals within their reach any different than driving without seats/belts?

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    I think you did the right thing. Not worth putting him or his kids through hell. No it not the safest thing what he did and I wouldn't do it, but I also don't think it's the governments place to tell him either unless its a habit. As a parent we must live with all of the decisions we make regarding our kids but also decisions regarding ourselves and being there for our kids for as many years as possible. When I became a father that's the day I started wearing MY seatbelt and I never am since without it driving. Same with my kids. No car seat = no car ride because I value my child's life and realize a stupid decision can have life or death consequences.
    Now if the guy was my neighbor And did that all the time then honestly I would probly buy them a couple carseats with the stipulation that they always use them. What are neighbors for right?

Top Bottom