• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rooster

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 4, 2010
    Indianapolis
    I went to parabellum in Avon this evening with my girlfriend because she wanted to learn to shoot.Just as she went to load her first magazine. the person in the stall next to us started to unload with a SBR of the AK family variety. The concussion from this was enough to make the target I had hung start to swing side to side about a foot. Our lane was essentially unusable. It quickly stopped so she went to pick the gun back up and take aim when it started again.....

We left, thanks to whoever that was for helping me give such a terrible first experience to a new shooter.

Vamptepes

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 20, 2013
    Eagledale
    Honestly it's an indoor range what do you expect? I've been in there when people are next to us doing mag dumps. It's not fun but it's going to happen indoors.

jd4320t

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 20, 2009
    South Putnam County
    Were there not other lanes to use?

Is your need to use the range more important than theirs?

Please define unload. If the shooter was being unsafe I'm sure they would've said something to him.

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    While I respect someone else's right to run a SBR in an inside range, I had the same experience with my girlfriend and with taking other people to the range who were first time shooters. Unfortunately, there isn't much you can do unless there are other lanes open you can move to. It was very similar when I took my girlfriend to the range the first time. We were lucky in that the people next to us had a variety of guns to shoot and after about 15 minutes, they put the SBR away and were using weapons that weren't as loud. We probably shot for a half an hour before they started using it again. It was so bad and the range was so crowded, we ended up leaving 15 minutes early. Other than talking to the people next to you and asking them to wait, or moving lanes, there really isn't much you can do. While it can be a pain in the ass, they have just as much right to shoot whatever they want as you do. I feel sorry for any first timers shooting next to us when I meet my buddy at the range and shoot his .22TCM. It's pretty loud as well!

loudpedal

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Sep 9, 2011
    Parc Fermé
    Meh. Yea, I think that it has happened to us all at sometime. I agree that it can be annoying but an indoor range is a compromise. If you were outdoors her first experience could have been cold, rain, mosquitoes or any number of other of annoying factors.

EyeCarry

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 10, 2014
    Bloomington
    Sorry that it was not a perfect experience for the girlfriend.
    That being said, I think asking for a different lane if available, or deciding to explain the situation to management and asking to comp you for another trip would be in order (assuming you had only been there 10 or 15 minutes).
    I usually get up there for the lunch special during the day and it is pretty quite but not always, and it gets more crowded toward the end of the "special" hours. I've had my targets blown back from the next stall's blast as well. Gotta take that in stride. or use it to your advantage to concentrate under pressure (obviously not in this case with the g-friend at this point)
    Try again. Just like girlfriends, the bad ones don't usually keep you from getting another one!

cobber

Parrot Daddy
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Sep 14, 2011
    PR-WLAF
    Had a similar experience taking my wife and daughter to the range for the first (and last) time.

A couple of jackasses speedshooting their .44 magnums. Not hitting much of anything, but having a grand time.

I used to take an AMD-65 to the indoor range for just such situations. Some clown starts goofing around, and I'll go through a 30 rd. mag. It gets surprisingly quiet in the next bay after that.

rooster

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 4, 2010
    Indianapolis
    We had been there less than two minutes. Management or whoever was behind the counter gladly gave a refund. When we walked out to talk to them the noise of the SBR was still pretty apparent.

DanVoils

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Feb 20, 2010
    I've shot my SBR there many times and always let the people next to me know it's loud, especially with the recoil comp on it. I usually end up letting them shoot it a few times and have never had a problem. It's a matter of being friendly and not an *******. Funny thing is one woman had never shot an AR and was a bit scared of it. I put the 22 conversion kit on it and let her shoot it some then put the 5.56 bolt back in. She loved it and was wanting her husband to get her one. She said it was her third time shooting. When I go it's usually to do a live fire function check on something I've modified or recently acquired. Parabellum is very customer oriented and I've never had a problem there that couldn't get resolved.

EyeCarry

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 10, 2014
    Bloomington
    We had been there less than two minutes. Management or whoever was behind the counter gladly gave a refund...snip...
    Good to know.
    There is a similar thread concerning reporting/discussing unsafe behavior as well. PB staff have always been friendly and helpful to me.

VSP1340

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 18, 2013
    Greenwood
    Yet another reason why suppressors should become an unrestricted purchase and more common. Fight the noise (Silencerco should have me on their payroll).

NHT3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   0
    IF other lanes are available don't hesitate to request to be moved.. I was present at the time and had to go out and calm the guy down with the pistol ( I believe your issue was an AK pistol) because of rapid fire but that really didn't help your problem any.. When I have a class of new shooters it is unnerving for many of them even if that "noisy" guy is at the other end but it's difficult to tell people that they can't shoot what they want. I was at one end with a class today and there was a guy with a AR SBR and a Mosin on lane 1 and you could still feel the concussion every time he fired.. Sorry about the problem and I wish there were a way I could guarantee a new shooter that would not happen to them ( I also wish I could guarantee my classes that it wouldn't happen) . Don't want to make any promises that can't be kept but there is a plan in the works for 6 more lanes that are 15 yards and that will be a pistol only area that will have the current wall separating it from the 25 yard lanes..
    I would hope that the expansion would happen within the next year so don't give up. :)
    Thanks for your patronage

[FONT=&amp]NRA Life Member[/FONT][FONT=&amp]-- [/FONT][FONT=&amp]GSSF member[/FONT]
    Certified Glock armorer-M&P & 1911mechanic
    NRA Basic pistol instructor[FONT=&amp] /[/FONT][FONT=&amp] RSO[/FONT]

Last edited:
    Top Bottom