• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Birdman002

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 7, 2012
    South Bend
    Today was probably the most extreme treatment I have ever had by the police.

I went out today walking to go to the Martins on Ironwood by IUSB to pick up a few groceries. I was in a hoodie, tan combat pants, and my combat boots and i had my Glock 26 on a leg holster. I went to Martins picked up my goods and went out of the store and headed back to my house. I was minding my own, carrying my groceries thinking about the daily tasks I had left to do when all of a sudden....

A SBPD car flashed their lights blocked the bridge traffic as another cop car did the same, another pulled up behind, and two others blocked the traffic again. 4 officer got out had their guns at the low ready at me and one officer directed me to drop my bag and place my hands in the air where he could see them. He then approached me as the other few officers there and asked me why are you carrying blah blah and do you have a permit to carry.

This scared the absolute **** out of me. He took my wallet out of my pocket where another officer started saying I honor your carrying your handgun but since you are carrying we have the right to do this blah blah and that since this day in age peoples view of guns and what not.

After the officer verified my permit they let me go.

Alright AAR time.

First off I am one guy carrying a bag of groceries, 5 cop cars respond close the bridge block off traffic all to make sure I was made an example.

NOW i can understand if the call came across as man with a gun on a bridge I can totally understand the magnitude of the response by the SBPD. HOWEVER the operator should have asked what the hell I was doing. I called the records department and asked what exactly went down. They told me it was a anonymous phone call and I would have to come in and see the report myself.

It was a bit over exaggerated today, scared the crap out of me thought I was getting arrested and what not. It was a hassle for the officers because to close that section of traffic off is a bit nuts, and a danger to motorists because that bridge with the two lights is a bit of a hassle as well.

I plan on going in Friday to the SBPD to talk to them about all of this I will keep you posted.

Thought I would share my little experience with INGO

Thanks!!!

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    It sounds like the SBPD needs to have five positions needing filled soon. These, well, individuals apparently haven't learned that just because you can, that doesn't mean you should. Apparently South Bend is out of criminals this week.

Birdman002

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 7, 2012
    South Bend
    Pretty much. I don't blame them for their response I just want to know what the call was put out to the officers as. I can't wait to go in and make a deal out of this. I am a law abiding citizen and to be treated like that I was hoping they were gonna slap the cuffs on me or something haha Really get some compensation

DC47374

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 13, 2012
    Richmond, IN
    Pretty much. I don't blame them for their response I just want to know what the call was put out to the officers as. I can't wait to go in and make a deal out of this. I am a law abiding citizen and to be treated like that I was hoping they were gonna slap the cuffs on me or something haha Really get some compensation
    Why wouldn't you blame them for their response? You are a guy carrying groceries across a bridge, who happens to have a holstered firearm. A criminal this does not make you. The officers should be reprimanded for their response and forced to complete training on how to handle MWG calls. They broke your constitutional rights of unlawful search and seizure by securing your wallet which was on your person and taking your id......yeah....I'd blame them for it. Let us know what the call was....

Last edited:

Light

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 9, 2012
    Near Fort Wayne
    Being that you're not required to ID yourself, unless you told them they could, taking your wallet to find your license from your pocket is fishy to me. Not sure what that would violate however, if it does.

Birdman002

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 7, 2012
    South Bend
    I just told them that my wallet was in my front pocket

That was the part that pissed me off the most he reached into my pocket. I am sure that is out of the probable cause/ reasonable suspicion

Valvestate

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2012
    NWI
    I doubt anything on that report is going to be close enough to what they actually saw when they pulled up to you. Either way, sounds like a call to a lawyer wouldn't hurt.

Light

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 9, 2012
    Near Fort Wayne
    I just told them that my wallet was in my front pocket

That was the part that pissed me off the most he reached into my pocket. I am sure that is out of the probable cause/ reasonable suspicion

Thing is that you didn't say that they could take it out of your pocket. Also, unless they have reasonable suspicion of you committing a crime they cannot detain you.

Last edited:

netsecurity

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 14, 2011
    Hancock County
    Open carry is not reason enough to stop you in states where you don't need a permit to OC. Indiana requires a license to carry, even OC, and therefore they were within the law to stop you. You are required to show your LTCH when requested.

I don't see that the police did anything wrong per say, besides over react. Isn't it funny how they can pull their gun any time and we would go to jail if ours came unholstered?

slowG

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 15, 2010
    What could have been done to prevent this? only one thing unfortunately, to cc. A damn shame but true. I think you handled it as best as anyone could.

CPT Nervous

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Mar 7, 2012
    The Southern Bend
    What could have been done to prevent this? only one thing unfortunately, to cc. A damn shame but true. I think you handled it as best as anyone could.

Not gonna happen. A good second option is to educated the sheep. Or better yet, to have dispatchers get more information before they send officers to handle a MWAG call. He was just going home from a grocery trip. He posed absolutely no threat to anyone.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I believe in your right to OC. After you experienced this how do you feel. This is only going to get worse as LEO does as he is told these days.
    This is why I CC at all times. Do not invite LEO to the party unless you want LEO to come as he will. It is what he does by definition.

Some anti-gun freak did the anonymous 911 "I will show this guy" call from hiding as these cowards always do. It is us against them.

cobber

Parrot Daddy
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Sep 14, 2011
    PR-WLAF
    They broke your constitutional rights of unlawful search and seizure by securing your wallet which was on your person and taking your idea......yeah....I'd blame them for it. Let us know what the call was....

Yes, taking your wallet was a search. They can ask for your pink card.

But it's South Bend. Maybe they've been annexed by Chicago?

drillsgt

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    108   0   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    Sioux Falls, SD
    Why wouldn't you blame them for their response? You are a guy carrying groceries across a bridge, who happens to have a holstered firearm. A criminal this does not make you. The officers should be reprimanded for their response and forced to complete training on how to handle MWG calls. They broke your constitutional rights of unlawful search and seizure by securing your wallet which was on your person and taking your idea......yeah....I'd blame them for it. Let us know what the call was....

It's South Bend we see these threads often, obviously they aren't going to learn it's likely an insitutionalized attitude i'm sure nobody at SBPD will see anything wrong. Hopefully other LEO's shun these clowns in their travels and let them know what idiots they are just like we would do with bad Drills or Battalions that were giving us a bad rep. Unlike LEO's though if we saw a Drill acting the fool we would do something about it (whether internally or externally) and not just keep quiet.

Top Bottom