• ...and so much more!
  • LEaSH

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Aug 10, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I don't know.

His main element of dissatisfaction was that his infant son was exposed to cigarette smoke. Were it just him alone and no kid, we'd probably not be discussing this.

So what to learn from this thread? Probably nothing.

Or maybe when people bring their kids places they expect those places to be contoured to their level of acceptability.
    Or maybe when they have $500 in their pocket they expect to be treated with respect enough to not poison their offspring with satanic second hand smoke.

Is this a "Save the Children!!!" thread?

I don't know.

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 18, 2010
    Franklin
    Went into Elmore's before the expansion and couldn't hardly walk into the door. Went after the expansion and didn't notice the smell at all and didn't see anyone smoking. I couldn't believe that it was like that in there and avoided it because of that fact.

cowgirl.sdm

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 1, 2011
    Johnson County
    I don't know.

His main element of dissatisfaction was that his infant son was exposed to cigarette smoke. Were it just him alone and no kid, we'd probably not be discussing this.

So what to learn from this thread? Probably nothing.

Or maybe when people bring their kids places they expect those places to be contoured to their level of acceptability.
    Or maybe when they have $500 in their pocket they expect to be treated with respect enough to not poison their offspring with satanic second hand smoke.

Is this a "Save the Children!!!" thread?

I don't know.

The point of the thread is to try to take into consideration your customer and their needs and wants then you are more likely to make a sale.

Hotdoger

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 9, 2008
    Boone County, In.
    The point of the thread is to try to take into consideration your customer and their needs and wants then you are more likely to make a sale.

You think maybe the OP should have assessed the business before taking his child in there and then complaining about it?

Is there no onus on the customer?

I don't believe a customer is always right.

And if you were a business owner you would know that some cusomers are not worth dealing with.

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green

Huh...

I got a different read on this thread myself...

It sounded to me that someone took their child into a KNOWN situation they knew may occur and then demanded that they Shop change to meet his demands....

Maybe I have that summary wrong. I doubt it...

I do find it amazing how some on here feel about Rights....

cowgirl.sdm

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 1, 2011
    Johnson County
    You think maybe the OP should have assessed the business before taking his child in there and then complaining about it?

Is there no onus on the customer?

I don't believe a customer is always right.

And if you were a business owner you would know that some cusomers are not worth dealing with.

I may not be a business owner but I have been in management. Customers are not always right but if you want to make sales then you try to find a way to please them. If you don't care about the sale the that is your choice.

cowgirl.sdm

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 1, 2011
    Johnson County
    Huh...

I got a different read on this thread myself...

It sounded to me that someone took their child into a KNOWN situation they knew may occur and then demanded that they Shop change to meet his demands....

Maybe I have that summary wrong. I doubt it...

I do find it amazing how some on here feel about Rights....

How could he have known that the gentlemen was going to smoke right in front of his child. Most people at least have a break room or office to smoke in. I would not know that this was going to happen until it did. If children are not welcome then post it, and then you will not have sales to people that have to take their children with them. I know I am a single mom so I take my son most places with me. If he is not welcome then I will not go.

686 Shooter

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Feb 20, 2010
    Huntington County
    I smoked for 30 years (at the end, 3 packs a day), Almost every weekend I take my Dad out to lunch, we always go to a restaraunt that allows smoking, I don't like smoking, but I can tolerate it because it makes my Dad happy to go out to lunch. Knowing, that my Dad is going to smoke, I never take my grandson with us because I don't want him around the smoking environment. Life is full of choices, I choose to continue to see my Dad even though he smokes, I choose to not have my grandson around the smoke, so him and my dad both lose out. The gun shop you visited allows smoking, the owners choice. Your choice is not to patronize the shop. End of story.

Prometheus

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    The only thing I see wrong with this story is the fact that you were going to pay 500 dollars for an XD. Did you take your child to McDonald's on the way home? There were probably more carcinogens in their Happy Meals that in a 3 minute exposure to a cigarette.

Excellent point. I don't expose my children to smoke, then again I don't expose them to mcNasties and their HFCS* intake is minimal, if not totally non existent most days of the week.

I say +1 to both of you. +1 to the business owner for doing as he pleases at HIS business. +1 to you for taking YOUR business elsewhere.

Much ado about nothing IMO.

*Considering HFCS can be found in everything from bread to pasta sauce, not just most soda, it's a lot harder than most people realize, lol.

Jeremiah

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 26, 2008
    Avilla, IN
    The other end of this thats funny is that the op saw the $500 he was willing to spend as some big boon for the gun store owner. I have yet to meet anybody in business that wants to turn down money, but in many cases on a nib gun with a retail price of $500 the store owner is probably only taking in $40-80 before overhead. so when someone runs a great deal, its important to remember that the manufacture, shipping, and the distributor add more to the price than the store owner does.

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    How could he have known that the gentlemen was going to smoke right in front of his child.
    I did not realize it had become a Crime to smoke in front of a Child...

Most people at least have a break room or office to smoke in.
    I am quite sure the Owner smokes in his Office as well...
    I would not know that this was going to happen until it did.
    This shop has quite the Rep for this, I am over an hours drive away and Persons here are familiar with it...
    If children are not welcome then post it, and then you will not have sales to people that have to take their children with them. I know I am a single mom so I take my son most places with me. If he is not welcome then I will not go.
    I am not aware that Children are not allowed. Just that if the Owner feels like smoking a Cigarette he is going to...

cowgirl.sdm

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 1, 2011
    Johnson County
    I did not realize it had become a Crime to smoke in front of a Child...

I didn't say it was a crime. Just not smart. My child get sick from cig smoke.

I am quite sure the Owner smokes in his Office as well...

Probably but it would be polite then to not smoke around customers.

This shop has quite the Rep for this, I am over an hours drive away and Persons here are familiar with it...

This may be but new customers would not know, if he knew ahead of time then he probably would not have went there. I know I would not.

I am not aware that Children are not allowed. Just that if the Owner feels like smoking a Cigarette he is going to...

I said this in reference to someone saying that he should not have taken the child. In my opinion and yes that is all it is...business owners and managers should think about the customer if they want to make a sale. In this case, the guy chose a cig over the sale and that is his right, more power to him, but if you want the sale then you might think twice.

msd

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 10, 2011
    Princeton
    Children placed in the midst of guns and the culture...we need more.
    But this is the political correct world, where cigs are something bad, but they seem to neglect the PCB's from plastic that is ingested everyday, and other carcinogens that are placed in our bodies, which we have no clue thats happening.
    Amazing though how they look at 1 thing that's been around since the dawn of man, but neglect to look down on the true cause of the sickness' we have in the world.

IndyGunner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 27, 2010
    What I got from this thread...

1.) Some people smoke.

2.) Some people don't like it.

3.) People like to argue.

Question... if you went into a cigarette store and the owner had a gun, would you stop buying cigarettes from him?

donnie1581

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 5, 2011
    Elwood, IN
    I started smoking when I was 12; I quit in July. It doesn't bother me to be around smoke all that much. I would prefer my children to not be around it but I don't let it hinder where we go. Everyone is entitled to their own choice; this includes the OP and the store owner.

BarryJaxon

Shooter
    Rating - 50%
    0   1   1
    Feb 23, 2011
    "Question... if you went into a cigarette store and the owner had a gun, would you stop buying cigarettes from him?"

In my local smoke store everyone carries,the owner requires it!Lotsa $ flows threw those doors!

Top Bottom