• In Favor or against Daylight Savings Time

• Total voters

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    No bus, just a car. Twice a day everyday, into the sun both ways (when it's out).

I much prefer to commute in the dark rather than at dawn or dusk.
    Here is where driving a car at dark vs. into the sun differs from driving a bus at dark vs. into the sun.

When you're driving your car at dark, your headlight shine onto the road, this lights your way. Yes, it's exceptionally challenging driving into the sun. Which is likely why you feel it is easier to drive at dark. I would agree for the average driver, driving at dark is better.

Now, try spotting tiny little kids off the side of the road in the dark vs. spotting them while driving into the sun? I'm sure they both have their challenges, but I don't have any first-hand experience with it so we'll just say that they are a wash either way. But now consider that when driving in the dark it doesn't matter which direction you're driving, it's challenging in the dark period. But when the sun is coming up, you're only challenged when facing that certain direction. So consider that the sun gives you problems when you're facing into it plus or minus 20 degrees we'll say. That still leaves 320 degrees of other directions that aren't impeded/challenging. That means that driving early morning, with the sun coming up is only 11% as challenging as driving in the dark.

Of course there are a few assumptions made here, but I think my example will convey the point that driving with the sun coming up isn't nearly as challenging as driving in total darkness where your headlights do not illuminate your intended target.

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    Here is where driving a car at dark vs. into the sun differs from driving a bus at dark vs. into the sun.

When you're driving your car at dark, your headlight shine onto the road, this lights your way. Yes, it's exceptionally challenging driving into the sun. Which is likely why you feel it is easier to drive at dark. I would agree for the average driver, driving at dark is better.

Now, try spotting tiny little kids off the side of the road in the dark vs. spotting them while driving into the sun? I'm sure they both have their challenges, but I don't have any first-hand experience with it so we'll just say that they are a wash either way. But now consider that when driving in the dark it doesn't matter which direction you're driving, it's challenging in the dark period. But when the sun is coming up, you're only challenged when facing that certain direction. So consider that the sun gives you problems when you're facing into it plus or minus 20 degrees we'll say. That still leaves 320 degrees of other directions that aren't impeded/challenging. That means that driving early morning, with the sun coming up is only 11% as challenging as driving in the dark.

Of course there are a few assumptions made here, but I think my example will convey the point that driving with the sun coming up isn't nearly as challenging as driving in total darkness where your headlights do not illuminate your intended target.

Driving at Dawn or Dusk is the most Dangerous times to be Operating ANY Motor Vehicle. Regardless of whether it is a Moped, Car, Bus, Semi, etc...

Titanium Man

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 16, 2009
    Indy---USA
    Hmmm! Never thought about it much, but I sure like being on vacation, when my wife isn't, and still being able to spend a good amount of time outdoors, with her in the evenings, with sunlight. The only thing I don't like is the split time zones within the state. Now that's pretty stupid!! If you want to work in Chicago, adjust!!

The only thing I marvel at, is my cell phone keeps track of which timezone I'm in. Sorta.

96firephoenix

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 15, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    I don't care either way. its more convenient to not worry about what part of the year we're on MI time and what part we're on IL time... then again, its more convenient to not change all the damn clocks.

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    Driving at Dawn or Dusk is the most Dangerous times to be Operating ANY Motor Vehicle. Regardless of whether it is a Moped, Car, Bus, Semi, etc...
    I'm not debating that at all. I think you guys are missing the point that I am trying to make.

When you throw in another variable other than simply driving, it changes things.

Let me make it really really simple for you though. Lets say you lost something out of your car while driving down the road. It is now off the road, where your headlights will not shine when it is dark.

You work all day and cannot look during the day. Your options are at night (dark out), or while the sun is rising/setting.

Would you go searching for said item at night because it is easier to drive at night or would you go searching in the daylight because that is when you will be able to more easily see the item you're looking for despite the sun being in your eyes?

It's not just about the driving part anymore when you're driving a school bus.

OneBadV8

Stay Picky my Friends
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Aug 7, 2008
    Ft Wayne
    Anything that makes business easier. If I have to change my clock twice a year and that's my biggest complaint, I'm fine with that.

I would like to see the country as a whole do away with it, but it was a good business decision for multi-state businesses to come here.

BowhuntnHoosier

Angry Old Conservative Fart
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 28, 2011
    Terre Haute
    I love DST.....gives me more time after work to do things in the daylight. One of the best things Mitch has ever done..........and that is a long long list.

Top Bottom