• Total voters

indytechnerd

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 17, 2008
    Here and There
    From the Wikipedia page on DST:

A 2008 study examined billing data in Indiana before and after it adopted DST in 2006, and concluded that DST increased overall residential electricity consumption by 1% to 4%, due mostly to extra afternoon cooling and extra morning heating; the main increases came in the fall. The overall annual cost of DST to Indiana households was estimated to be $9 million, with an additional $1.7–5.5 million for social costs due to increased pollution

I'm not a fan of DST, though I believe IN did the right thing by joining everyone else in adopting it. Rather, I'd push for its removal altogether. In the mid-lower and lower-latitudes, it's completely irrelevant since the length of days is considerably more uniform...

From NOAA page on Hawai'i:
    Hawaii's longest and shortest days are about 13 1/2 hours and 11 hours, respectively, compared with 14 1/2 and 10 hours for Southern California and 15 1/2 hours and 8 1/2 hours for Maine.

23mar03

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 6, 2010
    Southern Indiana
    I've frankly had enough of "for the children". If children don't sleep, then maybe their parents should supervise them more.

We've long established on INGO that all right thinking people support DST and only the communist Chinese are against it.

As far as the first comment, I agree with it. Most of today's parents lack to personal fortitude to discipline their children the way that they need/deserve. If you are having problems raising your child because you are too busy, SLOW DOWN and make time.

For your last statement, I always though that communists wanted more interferance from the government into the lives of the common man.
    SO.....Logic would dictate that those that are for DLS are pro-communist.
    :twocents:

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    I've never understood the "school bus" argument about it being too dark for kids in the morning. What about Dec, Jan, and Feb? It's dark in the morning during those time and I don't here about a plethora of accidents because it's dark out. I just don't get that argument. If it's a valid argument for March thru May, it should be a valid argument for the rest of the school year as well. Even more so then because it's cold and icy out as well.

I don't think anybody did say there were specific accidents etc in those other months, but put yourself in the driver's place for a bit.

You drive a bus, in the fall/winter, the days slowly progress to darker and darker. The darker it is, the more difficult your job gets. It sucks... then in the late winter/early spring it starts getting lighter out. Your job gets a little easier, day by day, then boom, one day your job is thrust back into the difficult of December when the time rolls forward. In the eyes of a bus driver it's just completely asinine to do such a thing. And if you don't understand it then I don't think you really understand what a bus driver does, and the responsibility they carry...

Last edited:

tyler34

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    bloomington
    We've long established on INGO that all right thinking people support DST and only the communist Chinese are against it.

I can't believe this for the simple fact I have never seen an at least 30 page thread about how the government changing our time is thuggish and unconstitutional and this trampling of our right to have it be whatever time we choose is one step closer to beech grove internment camps.:D

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    I could care less about the Save Children crap...
    Might as well chuck in there me caring for the Whitetails also...

Matter of fact the only reason I am really opposed to DST is that I think it is asinine. You want more daylight after work then go to work sooner. I hate having to go thru my Home and change EVERY ******* Clock and Watch to the "Right" time twice a year! The ONLY ******* Time I should have to change the time is when I go into a different timezone!!!

ThrottleJockey

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 14, 2009
    Between Greenwood and Martinsville
    I am 100% for it. One of the best things we've done as a state in years. As I said in another thread, I've always worked for large corporations that do business nationwide. And despite what people say about how we shouldn't adjust based on the rest of the country, I can tell you it absolutely DOES make a difference and it does make it easier to do business.
    BS, if you want to be at work the same time as those in NY then arrive at 7 instead of 8. I HATE DST and all the BS excuses they cram down our throat in favor of it.

HDSilvrStreak

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 26, 2009
    Fishers
    BS, if you want to be at work the same time as those in NY then arrive at 7 instead of 8. I HATE DST and all the BS excuses they cram down our throat in favor of it.

That would be great except for one thing. I've already pointed out that I don't get to set my own hours, my employer does.

I HATE all the opposition to DST and all of the BS excuses they try to cram down my throat against it.

ATOMonkey

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Plainfield
    I don't think anybody did say there were specific accidents etc in those other months, but put yourself in the driver's place for a bit.

You drive a bus, in the fall/winter, the days slowly progress to darker and darker. The darker it is, the more difficult your job gets. It sucks... then in the late winter/early spring it starts getting lighter out. Your job gets a little easier, day by day, then boom, one day your job is thrust back into the difficult of December when the time rolls forward. In the eyes of a bus driver it's just completely asinine to do such a thing. And if you don't understand it then I don't think you really understand what a bus driver does, and the responsibility they carry...

A low sun on the horizon is worse than darkness...IMO.

buckhunterbb

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Kimmell
    Lots of different views so far on this subject.
    If d.s.t. actually costs more to heat/cool/light homes then maybe everyone should scrap d.s.t. We need to think green for the earths protection. Help the ozone layer. Using to many resources & foreign oil.

All business's would/should know time zones then. Farmers would have more time to get to feed mills then if we stayed on eastern time. Bus drivers would be able to see better in the mornings. Students would be out less in the dark. These are just a few of my thoughts on this subject.

Thanks to all who voted & left post also.
    Have a nice day!

Bunnykid68

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Mar 2, 2010
    Cave of Caerbannog
    Traveling between two different time zones in Indiana sucks. Spen have the week in one zone and half in the other, talk about screwing sleeping habits. I was excited when they started talking about making the whole recognize DST. then they went and scrwed it up and made most of the state Eastern time.

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville

You, sir, obviously don't know any right thinking people :n00b:

...with the possible exception of rhino

...but that one could also easily be used against you. :):

D-Bo, I was having fun with INGO member ATM.;)

I don't know what he's talking about. Me and my buddy 林一海 were also both deeply offended. :xmad:

(OK, not really.) :D

https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/break_room/25648-greetings_daylight_savings_time.html

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    A low sun on the horizon is worse than darkness...IMO.
    Do you drive a bus?

I just know that I don't ever hear my mom complaining about the sun rising and getting in her eyes. But she does complain a lot about trying to see the kids in the dark, especially when she has to suddenly adapt back to seeing in the dark when DST comes around.

ATOMonkey

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Plainfield
    No bus, just a car. Twice a day everyday, into the sun both ways (when it's out).

I much prefer to commute in the dark rather than at dawn or dusk.

Top Bottom