• In Favor or against Daylight Savings Time

• Total voters

buckhunterbb

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Kimmell
    Not sure if this post is too much politics or not but we'll see.

Save our Dear little ones & brown Deers.

Never have liked Daylight Saving Time.
    Too dark in the mornings.
    Dears(school children) have to stand out in dark more to wait for school bus & also have to walk to school more in the low light times.

Hard to see the Deer(brown) again in the dark mornings when driving to work until sometimes you're right upon them. Maybe this also helped with increased car/deer accidents.

I'm a morning person & like some daylight before work. Too much daylight in summer when kids need to go to bed.

Would like to create a poll to see who all favors d.s.t.
    Comments would also be interesting.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    I've frankly had enough of "for the children". If children don't sleep, then maybe their parents should supervise them more.

We've long established on INGO that all right thinking people support DST and only the communist Chinese are against it.

ljadayton

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    SW Indy
    I never had a problem WITH DST and I didn't have a problem WITHOUT DST, as far as watching for either dear or deer...I watch where I drive and I don't drive like a maniac, no matter what my ex husband thinks :D

HDSilvrStreak

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 26, 2009
    Fishers
    I am 100% for it. One of the best things we've done as a state in years. As I said in another thread, I've always worked for large corporations that do business nationwide. And despite what people say about how we shouldn't adjust based on the rest of the country, I can tell you it absolutely DOES make a difference and it does make it easier to do business.

Yamaha

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Summitville,IN
    They claimed it would benifit farmers, which makes little sense. We have to wait to get equipment to the fields when its daylight, with dst, its dark when we would usually hit the fields. And when daylight finally comes it brings increased traffic that makes it a nightmare. The only thing I see it benifiting is late evening baseball/football games

D-Bo

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 26, 2009
    Funcie
    I've frankly had enough of "for the children". If children don't sleep, then maybe their parents should supervise them more.

We've long established on INGO that all right thinking people support DST and only the communist Chinese are against it.
    I think it takes more then being against D.T.S. to make you a Chinese communist. I do think you are right about the parents.

mcolford

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 8, 2010
    They claimed it would benifit farmers, which makes little sense. We have to wait to get equipment to the fields when its daylight, with dst, its dark when we would usually hit the fields. And when daylight finally comes it brings increased traffic that makes it a nightmare. The only thing I see it benifiting is late evening baseball/football games

PRECISELY! Im not a farmer, but have friends that are. I dont know their lives completely, but my understanding is they will get the equipment out when the sun comes out, whether it be 0800 or 0700. DST makes no difference, as the sun is out the same amount of time.
    From a cost aspect as far as the state concerns... I work midnights at a state hospital, and on the spring forward day, every person working gets paid for the hour we dont work (When it jumps from 2 to 3, we get paid for this non existant hour) and on the fall back we also get paid that extra working hour. Thats 2 extra hours they are paying out. Multiply that by every state employee working at night those 2 nights a year, thats a good chunk of cash.

I say leave the stinkin clocks alone.

-MColford

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    PRECISELY! Im not a farmer, but have friends that are. I dont know their lives completely, but my understanding is they will get the equipment out when the sun comes out, whether it be 0800 or 0700. DST makes no difference, as the sun is out the same amount of time.

I say leave the stinkin clocks alone.

-MColford
    Not quite. It does harm the farmers, mostly during harvest.

Lets say the elevator closes at 8 o'clock (that's a common closing time during harvest).

With harvest you don't start when the sun comes up, you start whenever it gets warm enough to dry the dew off the crops. Then you go until the elevator closes. With DST, 8 o'clock comes around 1 hour earlier in the day, multiply that by 40 days of harvest and the farmers have lost a week (depending on how long they harvest each day) of harvest time, all because DST.

Can they live with it? Well, they don't have a choice...

My dad noticed a significant increase in the length of harvest season when we started DST.

IMHO, it's just plain stupid...

I can understand why it's easier for other business etc, but come on, WTF is the whole country on this? It just doesn't make any sense at all. I vote that every state should drop DST. That way it's "easy on businesses" and it doesn't harm the people that it otherwise would.

BTW, regarding school children, my mom is a bus driver. She HATES DST, because she can't see the kids out by the road. She doesn't know if she needs to stop or not, and it just makes life difficult for her.

DST hurt just as many people as it helped, it was just different people.

Yamaha

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Summitville,IN
    Not quite. It does harm the farmers, mostly during harvest.

Lets say the elevator closes at 8 o'clock (that's a common closing time during harvest).

With harvest you don't start when the sun comes up, you start whenever it gets warm enough to dry the dew off the crops. Then you go until the elevator closes. With DST, 8 o'clock comes around 1 hour earlier in the day, multiply that by 40 days of harvest and the farmers have lost a week (depending on how long they harvest each day) of harvest time, all because DST.

Can they live with it? Well, they don't have a choice...

My dad noticed a significant increase in the length of harvest season when we started DST.

IMHO, it's just plain stupid.....
    DST hurt just as many people as it helped, it was just different people.

With only one combine, soybeans don't really effect us as much with this, but its still a PITA. And we always end up with 2-3000 bushels of grain in wagons to be hauled the next morning which takes forever due to the fact everyone is doing the same thing.

Rayne

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 3, 2011
    Former Tree Sniper

:+1:^^^^^ What he said ^^^^^
    The only thing DST does for us is cause major sleep deprivation. We work two jobs and our off farm jobs start at 7 am, which means were up before 5:30 to do farm chores and get to work. When you get home from your off farm job, you immediately start your farm chores and you don't stop until it's dark and sometimes not even then, depending on the time of year. Then you have to come in get cleaned up and have supper, then it's straight to bed. So do the math...if we're up at 5:30 and it doesn't get dark until 9:30 or 10 in the summer, then that gets us to bed by about 11:30 at the latest. Some people maybe able to survive on 6 hours sleep, but with the large machinarywe operate, it's not a wise idea. :(

And for all you business type people who say you can't do business if you're not on DST, well if you're not smart enough to figure out how to convert the time you shouldn't be in business. :thumbsup:

Ok I'm off my :soapbox:now.

HDSilvrStreak

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 26, 2009
    Fishers
    I've never understood the "school bus" argument about it being too dark for kids in the morning. What about Dec, Jan, and Feb? It's dark in the morning during those time and I don't here about a plethora of accidents because it's dark out. I just don't get that argument. If it's a valid argument for March thru May, it should be a valid argument for the rest of the school year as well. Even more so then because it's cold and icy out as well.

ATOMonkey

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Plainfield
    I never understood why a clock on the wall would dictate how much work got done in a day.

I like it because the rest of the world is finally waking up when they're supposed to.

snowman46919

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 27, 2010
    Marion
    Time and time again I hear how we gain an hour... no we don't if you want an extra hour get up earlier or stay up later.

But it helps the farmers... No it doesn't cows need milked, hogs need slopped, stalls need mucked, bales need broken, and all of this has nothing to do with whatever time it is on the clock because if you show up an hour earlier or an hour later to that milking stall you are going to have either an empty stall or an unhappy cow.

DST benefits big business, although it only benefits it in a way that it puts everyone on a normal time schedule that we had before DST came around so I say get rid of it.

snowman46919

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 27, 2010
    Marion
    Where did this meme come from?:dunno:

Opposition to DST for decades was based on the notion that DST would negatively impact farmers. When did it reverse?

It has shown up in several articles recently in the local newspapers, all owned by Gannet. I don't have much respect for them, they refuse to publish any stories that might cast any official in a negative light even if they are blatantly in the wrong.

Top Bottom